Game Remakes

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Game Remakes

Post by Oz »

I've been thinking about game remakes/frontends that enable old (dos) games to be played under newer os's (in particular Windows XP). anyone know a list of these "updates"? i'm talking about things like ScummVM, Jdoom, FuhQuake, WolfGL, etc. it'd be great if someone could remember any others!
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Doom Legacy is great for Doom, Doom II, and the other Doom WADs (TNT, Plutonia). It adds a lot of features, but maybe too many features.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1.
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Doom 3 is a remake of Doom 1? You're probably joking, but Doom 3 is as far from Doom 1 as you can get. The mod "CDoom" (ClassicDoom) for it changes things a bit and has E1M1.
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

No, it was specifically said that Doom 3 was a remake of Doom 1. It's obvious when you play it.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

There is a remake of the Kings Quest series somewhere
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Kazer0 wrote:No, it was specifically said that Doom 3 was a remake of Doom 1. It's obvious when you play it.
What he means by remake is a version that runs under windows. Doom3 is so different from Doom1. In Doom, you fight hordes of monsters. In Doom3, you have enough trouble fighting one at a time when it pops out of nowhere, scaring the crap out of you. Doom wasn't that scary, Doom3 is. Don't even get me started on the dark corridors. And the PDA.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Both happens on Mars (Knee-deep in 1) and the background plot is the same. Read manual in Doom 1 directory if thou don't believe.
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!