Rare and elusive shell utility? … Anyone?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
corethree

Rare and elusive shell utility? … Anyone?

Post by corethree »

One day I was looking for something that would allow me to run wolfenstein 3d. I found a utility that I am hoping some one out there has heard of. It needed VDMSound to run and when executing it loaded a GUI listing all kinds of known and supported 3d dos games. You told it where the game was that you wanted to play and set a few parameters and it would run it in some kind of shell. When I ran across this little tool I was amazed at how well it would run dos games. It was not quite a dos emulator, more of a universal dos port. I have long since lost track of the program and now that I really wana play descent, x-com, and system shock I would love to have it. I have used Dos Box but it can’t run descent and a few other games of interest fast enough. If anyone has heard of a program like this and can help me find it I would really appreciate it. I have been googling for days now.
Still stuck in 1994.
Interon 2.0
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Interon 2.0 »

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, but give 4DOS a try, it might be similar:

http://download.jpsoft.com/4dos/4dos.exe
corethree

Post by corethree »

Heck I'm not quite sure what I'm referring to. Thanks for 4DOS. I'll give that a try. What else is out there? I remember that the program I was looking for was dedicated to gaming.
Still stuck in 1994.
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

AbandonLoader perhaps?
corethree

Post by corethree »

Oz wrote:AbandonLoader perhaps?
That is the one!!! Thanks a ton. Your post was just in time for the company LAN party. That was one hell of a vague question I asked too. You guys are great.
Still stuck in 1994.