the gods made heavy metal, and its neeeeeeever gonna die!!!

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.
ForgottenSoul

the gods made heavy metal, and its neeeeeeever gonna die!!!

Post by ForgottenSoul »

go go manowar and iron maiden!! woooo!!!
also long live power metal!
nightwish
rhapsody
dream theater
angra

and so much more!!!
do you love metal?
i have no idea who is this on my avatar...he just looks cool! if anyone knows he is this or has an image that looks like this one only less evil, please pm me! thank you
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

I used to be obsessed with metal. I loved Manowar, Iron Maiden, Gwar, Megadeth, Dio, Blind Gaurdian, Iced Earth, Strapping Young Lad, etc.

It's a very good musical style on a technical level, the instrumental sounds are far more complicated than any other form of rock. It's still good to listen to once in a while. It's biggest problem is it's lame lyrics, which are funny because they're probably taken from someone's D&D games.
Then we encountered a posse of trolls, who've grown fat and sloppy from the roasting of souls! Definitly good in a nerdy sort of way, but can't be taken seriously.

I pretty mostly listen They Might Be Giants now. Classical music is also much more technical and can cover every emotion.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by x86_Game-Junkie »

Not all heavy metal acts have lame lyrics!!
Some metal acts have inspiring lyrics that inform us of major issues which are happening in everyday life such as drugs, violence, depression, racism and discrimination.

I fyou actually took the time and read the lyrics properly you will find that it has a good meaning.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

x86_Game-Junkie wrote:Not all heavy metal acts have lame lyrics!!
Some metal acts have inspiring lyrics that inform us of major issues which are happening in everyday life such as drugs, violence, depression, racism and discrimination.

I fyou actually took the time and read the lyrics properly you will find that it has a good meaning.
Can you give me an example of some of these "meaningful lyrics"? And don't post anything by some crappy "nu-metal" band like Disturbed or Linkin Park, they're not real metal. Don't just post some song with the singer whining about how he still loves his girlfriend even though she dumped him for being so whiny, those are especially lame.

I do read the lyrics sheets. I suppose the most intellegent lyrics come from Iron Maiden who reference actual historic events (Alexander the Great) or classic pieces of literature (Rime of the Anceint Mariner). Anthrax also sang about books and stuff, which is cool.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Symphony X writes much of it's songs based off of Greek and Norse myth, and they are quite inteligible and very enjoyable. The group HIM also has some outstanding lyrical work. Both are true metal groups. And, of course, there's Metallica.

I'm not sure if you would consider Black Sabbath as metal, but they're good as well.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

DF I'm guessing you have never heard or heard of Slayer or Deicide!!

Slayer's lyrics are mostly about violence, and how music can someway influence violence...they also have lyrics about the Human Psyche and why people kill other people.
Deicide sing about Religion and people who are lead to follow a character that could be fictional...but who knows!!
diri
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by diri »

Al Yankovich has done some heavy metal stuff. :D
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

x86_Game-Junkie wrote:DF I'm guessing you have never heard or heard of Slayer or Deicide!!

Slayer's lyrics are mostly about violence, and how music can someway influence violence...they also have lyrics about the Human Psyche and why people kill other people.
Deicide sing about Religion and people who are lead to follow a character that could be fictional...but who knows!!
I haven't heard Decide, but I fail to see some sort of great wisdom behind Slater. It's just angsty-teenage stuff, life's not just about being angry or sad all the time.
x86_Game-Junkie
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Are you sure you listen to metal and not glam metal??
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

Me, earlier in the thread wrote:I loved Manowar, Iron Maiden, Gwar, Megadeth, Dio, Blind Gaurdian, Iced Earth, Strapping Young Lad, etc.
I wouldn't exactly call any of those "glam", though I do own some Motley Crue :shame:.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Some metal is good. I'm prone to progressive metal, myself, such as Symphony X and (some) Dream Theater. I agree, though, that the appeal in metal rests more heavily in the music than the lyrics. But that's perfectly okay.

Also, Dope, while I love TMBG, I think it's hilarious that you imply you like them for intelligent lyrics. They're just funny. :)
Last edited by Da_Goat on Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamikazebowler
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Kamikazebowler »

I like Heavy Metal.
-kb
CloudCobain
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CloudCobain »

Yeah, I love heavy metal! Rock on!

There's Metallica, Slipknot...

Nightwish!! Oh, they rule... and Static-X!

Then there's HIM. They rock.

I like loads of music, but heavy metal is one of the best.
Lack of iron and/or sleeping.
Iuppiter

Post by Iuppiter »

Eww, metal. Out of all the stuff mentioned so far... I guess Dream Theater is okay, and I suppose some Alice in Chains stuff isn't too bad either, even though that wasn't mentioned.

Except I don't know if I would classify either of those as metal.
CloudCobain
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CloudCobain »

Alice in Chains is more... Rock... just Rock...
Iuppiter

Post by Iuppiter »

Well that's the closest to metal I would listen to. Hard rock is as far as I want to go.

Metal gives me headaches... even when I try to play my own metal stuff. Nasty business, metal is.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

metal sounds like a squeelching sound all the time its stupppiidd
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

Not really. Some genres of metal do, but there are some very talented metal musicians out there.
CloudCobain
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by CloudCobain »

Like Nightwish.
Black_Sabbath

Post by Black_Sabbath »

Slayer sucks ! they're so repetitive and their songs are stoopid.
this was posted by: