Fahrenheit 9/11

A forum for discussing television, movies, pop culture, celebrities, rock bands, and anything else along those lines.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Fahrenheit 9/11

Post by Dopefish »

Man, this movie was amazing.
I thought it was far better than Bowling For Columbine (which I didn't like that much). I know many people don't like Moore because he "lies" but that can't really be said about this movie since it's mostly stock footage.

I think everyone needs to see this movie, especially if you're a pro-Bush conservative. I honestly can't imagine anyone supporting him after seeing this movie. It's the best documentary I've ever seen.

Also, please don't criticize the film until you've seen it.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

I have yet to see it (maybe this Saturday), what were his main points/main evidence used?
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

It's too daunting a task to summerize all his "points". It's very unlike Bowling For Columbine in that Moore's on screen very little.

He narrates but the movie is mostly stock footage (and interviews). The stock footage will put a shock to your system. The cold hard reality will hit you like a ton of bricks. There's no way to dispute his evidence that Bush is not a good president and that the war in Iraq is wrong unless you're like Brittany Spears, who says that the president shouldn't be questioned no matter what just because he's our president.
You will leave the theater horrified and wishing that what you just finished watching wasn't a documentary.

Just go see it ASAP.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Believe it or not, I've already done enough research about the administration to know most of the bad shit they've done (so it won't be that much of a shocker, none of his footage is "classified" or unavailible to the public) but I'll be going either tomorrow or Thursday morning with my sister-she wants to see it as well.

I must say, Moore has used less than honest tactics in the past. For instance, he had an interview with a congressman asking "would you support sending your children to die in Afghanistan since you supported the war?" The person in question answered "as a matter of fact my son's unit is heading there this week (his son was in the U.S. Army), but then when he actually showed it he just stopped right after the question to make it appear as if the congressman was a crazy warmonger and wouldn't actually sacrifice anything for what he beleives. All his video clips are real, but it's his selective showing of them (showing only the parts of them that line up with his viewpoint) that really bothers me.

Other than that I can't really make any more judgements of it as I haven't seen it yet. More to come after I do. I must say it does seem to be a good debate starter from what I've seen of people who have seen it.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Since I'm Canadian, I naturally have less of an interest in this movie than those living in the USA. I have not seen the movie, therefore I cannot comment on specifics within it. However I would like to make a few brief statements about it anyways ;)

First of all, I don't doubt that, overall, Bush is not a good president. That seems fairly obvious to me. I am not overjoyed that Mr Paul Martin was elected as our Canadian Prime Minister a short time ago ... I would be quite scared if Mr Bush were somehow (in an alternate dimension) elected as leader of Canada :o :shifty:

That said ... no one should base their opinion about the Bush government on this movie. I have seen some of Michael Moore's other work (Roger & Me, Bowling for Columbine) and while interesting and well made, I would hardly call these films "unbiased". In fact, they are so totally biased that someone who only saw these films would think that other points of view do not exist. I saw Leonard Maltin (the film critic) talking about the movie on CNN, and he commented that "we shouldn't be using the word `documentary' to describe these films. Advocacy filmmaking, personal journalism -- I'm not what sure what to call it." I think that he's correct. The first time I saw Bowling for Columbine, I really said "Wow, what a powerful movie! I totally agree!". I had an opportunity to see it a second time, and upon seeing it again I noticed some very flimsy arguments being made.

The clips in the movie may be quite powerful, but remember that you're only seeing clips. Without context, they are nothing. Something I have learned while studying literature is that context is funadmentally important in order to understand sound bites presented as truth statements.

Hey, I agree with Moore's overall message. If I lived in the USA I'd be voting for Kerry next election. (After all, <a href="http://www.kerryrocks.com/">Kerry rocks</a>! :laugh: ) But I'm not a fan of Moore's movies, and I don't think they're documentaries because there is no attempt at all at being in any way impartial or showing both sides of an issue.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

emmzee wrote:I am not overjoyed that Mr Paul Martin was elected as our Canadian Prime Minister a short time ago ...
And who did you blame for that the day of the election on MSN? Huh? It's all my fauolt I tell you. NDP in 2008!
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

Yes, the movie is biased. I don't think Moore pretends that his movies are not.

It's still a great movie. There really is no way to put a child screaming in pain with half of his skin burned off from a bomb's explosion into good context (well, unless the kid was Damien from "The Omen"). 99% of the country already knows the right-wing side of the story from TV and major newspapers. This shows them the opposing side.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

ya... f9/11... lomg... funny... Now, Watch this drive! :laugh: I agree with Emmzee though. I felt it was alright, but I found it slightly boring... But it DID make me feel that our government >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> US government :laugh: I'd love to see a Canadian version, just to see what goes on that WE don't know about...

-Richard-
denrix
<font color=CC00CC><i>*Special*</font>

Post by denrix »

sasha: Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my boyfriend.
denrix

Post by denrix »

nvm, sorry. apparently they have taken the download off. around 2000 people have downloaded it already, and at over 1 GB thats not bad. i only managed to get Part 1 before they closed it, but I can still see the ftp directory, so maybe they will open it again.
sasha: Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have sex with my boyfriend.
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

I'll said it before, and I'll say it again:

"I hate Bush, I hate Kerry, I hate Michael Moore, and America's in for a rough ride the next few years."
DAMN YOU, BIPARTIAN GOVERNMENT!
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Nadar all the way! Seriously, Kerry/Edwards both voted in favor of the war and from what I can see, are pretty much Bush/Cheney with a different set of corperations and chin implants. What's the point?
kittie
Expert
Expert

Post by kittie »

Ok because Dogbreath shut my Topic down here we go does anyone tell me other sites to get a copy of fahrenheit.
Life is like we Know It
Not a Denrix
Hey My Forum
http://64.246.11.123/users5/gamershrine/index.cgi My New Admin Ro@m and Gordie

Broadband Enabled

New Kittie Website with A Chatroom
www.freewebs.com/kittiefun/
nastypoisonspikes
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by nastypoisonspikes »

You stupid idiot. He locked your topic, so he obviously doesn't want you talking about it.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Eh, Moore's a pompous douche that needs to die, same with Kerry and Bush.

Hell, anarchy all the way. You know, why does every single canditate have to be a dumbass? Same as last time, too... No wonder no one votes anymore. They don't want to be responsible for the country's problems.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
kittie
Expert
Expert

Hey

Post by kittie »

You stupid idiot. He locked your topic, so he obviously doesn't want you talking about it.

Hey! He only did because he said they was already a Fahrenheit 9/11 topic this one, I think he hates me. :Angry:
Life is like we Know It
Not a Denrix
Hey My Forum

Broadband Enabled

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yes, I do.
kittie
Expert
Expert

Post by kittie »

Yes, I do.
Why I am sorry for all the mess I have pulled could I ever repay you please. :(
Life is like we Know It
Not a Denrix
Hey My Forum

Broadband Enabled

kittie
Expert
Expert

Post by kittie »

And whats up with the new topic Do you hate me whats that I did not make that into a topic Dogbreath take a chill pill. :rolleyes:
Life is like we Know It
Not a Denrix
Hey My Forum

Broadband Enabled

bummerboy

Post by bummerboy »

Talking about Bush and Kerry kind of reminds me of something I watched. Anyone here ever watch the Late Show with David Lettermen. On the top 10 list, it had "The things overheard in Sadam's court appearance." The one I liked the most, "I'll be back as soon as Kerry takes over." :laugh:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes