HEY! Looking for 386 system!

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
Tombstone
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

HEY! Looking for 386 system!

Post by Tombstone »

I am looking for an IBM PC-AT or clone system with the following specs. If anyone knows a good online source for something like this, or has one he'd like to dump, let me know please.

386DX/40 CPU (Maximum)
8 MB RAM (30 pin SIMM) (Minimum)
Trident 8900C SVGA (1Mb) (Or equivalent)
Sound Blaster Pro CT2910 (Maximum)
8x (Minimum) 16x (Maximum) CD-ROM

NOTE: System should also have 2 channel IDE controller w/ FDD, COM & LPT ports. (Onboard or ISA Expansion Okay)

Thanks for the help.
<b><font color="#FF0000">Thank GOD for <a href="http://www.v-com.com/product/sc7_ind.html">System Commander</a>. Now, anything is possible.</font></b>

IBM PC/AT 386 DX/40
8 MB RAM
Western Digital WD90C11-LR VGA
Always IN-2000 SCSI Adapter
Sound Blaster 16/AWE32 (CT3990)
Thrustmaster Pro FCS
Belkin Serial Mouse
MS-DOS 6.22
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Re: HEY! Looking for 386 system!

Post by Unknown_K »

Tombstone wrote:I am looking for an IBM PC-AT or clone system with the following specs. If anyone knows a good online source for something like this, or has one he'd like to dump, let me know please.

386DX/40 CPU (Maximum)
8 MB RAM (30 pin SIMM) (Minimum)
Trident 8900C SVGA (1Mb) (Or equivalent)
Sound Blaster Pro CT2910 (Maximum)
8x (Minimum) 16x (Maximum) CD-ROM

NOTE: System should also have 2 channel IDE controller w/ FDD, COM & LPT ports. (Onboard or ISA Expansion Okay)

Thanks for the help.
Do you already have an AT style case?

One of my machines has a 386 DX 40 with math coprocessor and 32mb ram (8x4mb 30 pin) and was found on enay very cheap. Think there are some 386 motherboards there now.

16mb of ram is adequate (4x4mb) since 30 pin simms need to be installed in groups of 4.

Trident video cards suck. I have an ISA Diamond Speedstar Plus with the Tseng ET4000ax chipset, one of (if not) the best ISA card for dos games. get the 1MB version.

I have the sound blaster pro 2.0 in my 386, I recommend you get a gravis ultrasound max or a Soundscape soundcard to work with your SB for midi and roland emulation. Setting up 2 sound cards is a slight pain but will let you play any game with its native sound. I went with the Soundscape MAX.

All 386's have IDE controllers on a ISA card, and cdroms work just fine connected to the second channel (needs a dos driver). Find yourself a late generation motherboard that auto detects HD's makes life easier, and check to make sure the battery isnt leaking acid all over the place (replace it if its dead or leaks).

I got most of my stuff from ebay or the forsale newsgroups (very cheaply also).

You will also need a Microsoft serial mouse (386's dont generally have ps/2 ports unless its an IBM). I also recommend a nice Northgate Omneykey keyboard, or an old IBM model.