DosBox? Simple Solution or Last Resort?

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Script kiddies of DOS? Well I'll be buggered...

Actually DOSbox seems to be the best option for XP, but does anyone else here find Wally's quick-draw "DOSBOX!!!!" replies without even bothering to figure out the problem a little annoying? DOSbox isn't a silver bullet and it's a pain in the ass to get running. Is actually rather clumsy and difficult to run once it is, and not to mention it messes many games up and doesn't run them at their full potential, among other vices. I'd much rather see it being used as a last resort for impossible situations than being used for every single problem posted here that could've just as easily been solved by a little technical ingenuity.

Please, please, please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to establish rules for helping people or saying don't do whatever is necessary to get old games running. I'm just unloading something that's been bothering me for a while.

This probably isn't the right topic for it, so if JTA wants to move it somewhere or start a thread about it then I wouldn't really care that much.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

well i am sorry DB, but i do point out to people that dosbox has a set of instructions avaliable at getting sound to work in XP.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

The thing about Dosbox, DB, is that more and more I find it, while often being the last resort, is simply the best solution. Games that are a real biotch to get running run under it with minimal effort (generally), and once you get used to the interface (which DOES take a while) it's pretty fast and easy. Sometimes you have to mess with clock speed, but you had to do that with MoSlow. It just replaces so much that I now find it to be worth checking DosBox first, rather than last.

The worst thing about Dosbox is choppiness. Sometimes games seem to stutter, if that makes any sense.

By the way, I split the topic for two reasons:
1: It fits better here.
2: To show, that, yes, I AM actually paying attention.
Warning: You are being watched.

GameFAQs Contributor Page
Amro
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Amro »

Well, dosbox could be more convenient (like being able to browse a HD instead of mounting each dir seperately) but it's just fine. All you gotta do is run it, mount the directory, then run the game. You only gotta do it once to remember it, so it DOESN'T take that much time to get used to.

Even if it dosn't run games that well, it's better then nothing (which gives you in most cases nothing). I agree with JTA about checking w/ it first.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

One reason I like DOSBox is that sometimes I want to play games in a window ... and it makes it easy to do so. Also, since my HD is formatted NTFS (stupid me, I didn't know back then!) its not possible for me to just make a boot disk.

DOSBox generally an easy, no work solution for a huge and growing number of DOS games ... oh yea about the studdering problem, always try to play with the CPU cycles ... try increasing them, or if that doesn't work, try decreasing them .... doesn't always work but its worth a shot ...
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

I agree with wally's "DOSBOX!" replies to be nothing but postcount+1. If he keeps it up, i'll just start deleting them.
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

Yeah, CPU cycles are better than frame skip. Just, sometimes, even with them high enough to run the game, it seems to skip or something, not a ton, but just a little bit. Better than games with MoSlo, though.

Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Yeah, I know DOSbox has good features as well (I use it for several games) and I don't have anything against it. However, there are many games that aren't supported by dosbox and I have this belief that it's better to run a game on the original system rather than use an emulator-which is may be a flawed logic.

There's also the point that making a guest fiddle around with DOSbox for an hour when he has a, say, memory error problem that could otherwise be fixed in 30 seconds is a bit redundent. Not everyone *wants* all the special features and extras that DOSbox comes with-they just want the game running normally.

Anyhow, I'll see to adding dosbox to the "read this before posting!" thread in get games to work. I do think it's an excellent option for those with incompatible XPs or macs. (Does dosbox support Apple yet?)
John The Ax

Post by John The Ax »

I doubt it, but it's entirely possible.

Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Sometimes I wonder why i'm here.... I don't even play dosgames anymore.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Because this board is run by very, very sexy people? ;)

I dunno, you probably just need to get back into the habit (which you will over the summer)... I haven't had that much time for gaming either, thanks to 11th grade being a bitch.
Interon

Post by Interon »

DOSBox is very counter-intuitive, not meant for newbies. Yeah we should try simpler solutions for XP failed games, only use DOSBox when all else fails.

Yeah, DB is a dandy piece of software but it's not the be all end all.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Emm drivers are complex things..
You may have to use the program Dosbox for it..

Or try to config your conventional Memory
JMS wrote:Right-click on game.exe, click Properties, click the Memory tab, under Expanded (EMS) Memory, click and select 4096.
Case in point. Why would dosbox be better than spending 10 seconds solving the problem?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Kazer0 wrote:I agree with wally's "DOSBOX!" replies to be nothing but postcount+1. If he keeps it up, i'll just start deleting them.
well they have a point dotn they?

Kazer- I put them there because i am sick of saying gazillions of things..

Sometimes i actually refer to the other document which i will from now on
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Wally*Won_Kenobie wrote:Kazer- I put them there because i am sick of saying gazillions of things..
Then don't say anything at all.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Kazer- I put them there because i am sick of saying gazillions of things..
Well then, Wally, if you're too busy or sick to post anything truly helpful why post at all?
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

Hence what I just said.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Maybe he's trying to help since some people don't know of DOSBox's existence. Also, for some games, that's probably the only way in the Windows XP environment for certain games to work.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

For now on, henceforth, every repliy to anyone of jays posts shall end or start with the work dosbox, so that someone reading his posts will be formed of its existance. Dosbox.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Maybe he's trying to help since some people don't know of DOSBox's existence. Also, for some games, that's probably the only way in the Windows XP environment for certain games to work.
True
For now on, henceforth, every repliy to anyone of jays posts shall end or start with the work dosbox, so that someone reading his posts will be formed of its existance. Dosbox.
For once i have to admit it kazer0 you are quite arrogant.... :no: Dosbox.