Too many forums

Forum for all the suggestions that have 1. nothing to do with our two websites (Dosgames.com/ DosGamesArchive) and 2. are not bug reports.
Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Too many forums

Post by Dopefish »

It seems there are too many forums, considering the lack of activity in all of them.
Forum games, literature, and music could all be grouped into General off-topic. It's not like it's overflowing with posts.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Emmzee's going to love you. ;) Forum Games is kept aside on purpose to keep stupid games from cluttering up the legitimate discussions. Actually, I've been considering deleting it as it serves no real perpose-the only reason I don't is if I do sooner or later people are going to start posting games in the OT forum... again. Literature and Music don't get very many replies, true, but I think they get enough to warrent it's existence.

For other forums, do we really need a Game Exchange forum? It doesn't seem to serve it's purpose very well.
lakerzz8
~Lakerz~Fan~

Post by lakerzz8 »

I was thinking this too there are too many forums, maybe make some of them invisible groups for people who actually want to post there, like forum games, only about 5 people post there and none right now
My stories:Story 1
Story 2

Earn money for free! and get paid TODAY!
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Dogbreath wrote:Emmzee's going to love you. ;) Forum Games is kept aside on purpose to keep stupid games from cluttering up the legitimate discussions. Actually, I've been considering deleting it as it serves no real perpose-the only reason I don't is if I do sooner or later people are going to start posting games in the OT forum... again. Literature and Music don't get very many replies, true, but I think they get enough to warrent it's existence.

For other forums, do we really need a Game Exchange forum? It doesn't seem to serve it's purpose very well.
read my suggestion in the other topic about lit and music. Game Exchange is useless, delete it (And the only forum I moderate alone), Forum Games can go (Bye to 1/2 of zz8s posts), Forum suggestions and Forum errors could be merged.
lakerzz8
~Lakerz~Fan~

Post by lakerzz8 »

Forum games should stay because it is very popular!
Story 2

Dopefish
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Dopefish »

Can you define "very popular"? I wouldn't call a forum with a total of 16 theads, only four with replies less than a month old, "very popular". I would call it "vastly unpopular" or "black hole of the internet".
It's not like General Off-topic would be flooded with forum games.

I like the idea of General and Media forums, but all of the current media forums and general forum are so dead that lumping them together would at least make it seem like there's more activity.
lakerzz8
~Lakerz~Fan~

Post by lakerzz8 »

before the association game was deleted it had 1000 posts so add 1000 to the total post count buddy
Story 2

Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Tony_Montana wrote:Forum games should stay because it is very popular!

I agree with you there tony,

Game Trading isnt that popular couldnt we redirect those people who want to trade games to ebay or somewhere like that?
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Tony_Montana wrote:before the association game was deleted it had 1000 posts so add 1000 to the total post count buddy
Association game was a was an excuse to let you spam our boards without pissing us off.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

True. Forum Games serves no real purpose other than keeping the annoying games OUT of OT.
lakerzz8
~Lakerz~Fan~

Post by lakerzz8 »

i dont see trading games serving any purpose either, and a message board is supposed to be fun if you remove it you will be removing fun
Story 2

johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

I don't mind the forum count. Info the world over lies dormant, only to be hot beans at some future date. DOS Games is about games info and all that goes with it. Trading games seems a part, even if a bit slow now.

Is there some sort of big wish to see alot of action on these "slow" topics? If so, the thing is to attract more forum viewers and members (a subject I've hit before about the buried forum link on the home page). Are there any stats on who's new and posting? I haven't seen many new names myself. But we will need to control our flames more to keep them here, at least in the places the newbees use most. Maybe a thicker skin and a little wisdom by all is a better idiom? If anything that's a bigger problem by far. :shame:
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Yeah! Get rid of the Game Exchange forum (unless someone really truly wants to keep it)! :D
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Actually, some people seem to have made actual exchanges via GEF so it'll stay for now.

JohPower: Interestingly enough, the two subjects that attract most of the new users here is finding old games and getting old games to work-that includes me.
Interon

Post by Interon »

Doesn't matter to me.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

I think it's pointless to divide the site suggestions to categories. Just "site suggestions" is nice, not a forum for every site. You know, not Dosgames.com suggestion, Dosgamesarchive suggestions and Dosgamesonline suggestion. Why not put them together?
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
Interon

Post by Interon »

null
Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Um, they're kept apart to avoid confusion... do you know how many times people would post saying "you should do so and so to your site" and then not mention *which* one? Many people visiting here never take the time to figure out that we're more than one site and so would think that "site suggestions" belongs to whatever site they came from.

Finally, it's simply easier for the respective admins here to not have to wade through *3 the amount of posts just to find the suggestions for their sites. The topics aren't discriminatory per site.
Interon

Post by Interon »

null