The Game Maker

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

The Game Maker

Post by Core_12 »

Have you always wanted to make computer games, but don't just have the patience or will to learn complicated programming lanquages? Then this is just for you:

The Game Maker

I'm gonna download that baby right away when I get my new computer...!

Check the site out. You're gonna regret it if you don't! You don't know what you're missing here!
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

We already know about this. I even attempted to make a DGF game, but I had a problem with the character moving.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Re: The Game Maker

Post by Wally »

Core_12 wrote:Have you always wanted to make computer games, but don't just have the patience or will to learn complicated programming lanquages? Then this is just for you:

The Game Maker

I'm gonna download that baby right away when I get my new computer...!

Check the site out. You're gonna regret it if you don't! You don't know what you're missing here!
Sounds good!!! Im gunna try it..
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Oz »

woa, whoa!

isn't there a forum for this?

*Oz wants to be a mod*
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

Read the rules Oz, we dont allow backseat moderation.
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

GM is only for Windows, and the only way to make a really good game is to use scripting.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Well I'm gonna download it anyway, and start the projects. (check out my website). I'll get a new computer for christmas, and then I'll start making some games.
"Long before there was ultra-super-duper-128-bit-polygon-video-capture, hardware hype, wEiRd TyPe, pointless game ratings, E3, SCREAMING GUYS in ads, Virtual Reality, cliches like "in your face" and "it's the ultimate", 360 degree roto-scope-rhetoric from self righteous reviewers, CD-this, 3-D that, multi-million-dollar TV commercials tainted with TOILET humor...

...there was fun."

The OPCFG - dedicated to the preservation of classic forms of gaming since 1998!
BEN

how...

Post by BEN »

to move things, select a key to use(e.g. left arrow)and use the action "start moving in a direction" and say you chose left, select the left arrow on the screen that appears.then, set the speed (e.g. 10) and play the game to test it. oh, almost forgot- the way i do it is also set "relese key (e.g. again, left)" and set "set horazantal speed (vertical speed for vertical keys)" and set it to 0. there ya have it! test it to make sure its right.
Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Splodginator wrote:GM is only for Windows, and the only way to make a really good game is to use scripting.
The Game Maker isn't only an easy-to-use game maker, it also has a built in programming language called Game Maker Language, that is very powerful! So you can just fully write the whole game yourself if you want, but the easy-to-use interface just makes things easier! The GML is OOP, and is completely event-driven (which is in some cases actually not good (for example, you can't put an object to WAIT, insted, you have to set up an alarm clock! There's one waiting command, but it freezes the WHOLE game, not just the object)).

So, the point is: Game Maker IS a scripting program, with just an auxilary interface!

You can also use DLLs and other script-code-thingys (though you must register to use DLLs).

...there was fun."

Kar2nkid

Post by Kar2nkid »

It's really messed up on my computer, there is no text at all?!?!
Hello my name is Kar2nkid (cartoon kid), and I am 42% yankee and 66% southern!

Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Core_12 »

Sounds weird... What version do you have, and what OS do you got?

...there was fun."

donkeydude

Post by donkeydude »

:devil:
man that thing looks so sweet!!
Im gonna dload it as soon as i can!!
wheee...!!!
laogaming

Post by laogaming »

I don't like GameMaker much. Of course I do program 3D games with Visual C, so I guess I'm kinda at the wrong site, but I did do a few old games (http://www.laogaming.com)

Game Maker

Post by Guest »

I have been using game maker for a while. It is super powerfu. You can make games like quke and doom once your good. And with the Quka Open Source and Graphics it makes it that much eaiser!

I my self are not good enogh for that yet, but my friend has made tons of games from it and made a little cash. I like this because you can actully sell your games.

Well you can check my game maker website out, Wally Darg Productions soon. Its underconstruction.

I will make a tutorial for the new people, you think its hard? Nonono, it just look hard, see my tutorials and you will see!

-Webpage is underconstruction-
barok

Post by barok »

*barok prefers qbasic with his custom made map editor, custom made game scripter and custom made game engine*
Qbasic can do much more than you think!
ripster88

Post by ripster88 »

Say, if anyone of you like game maker, and are gonna use it a little, PM me, I've got a little present for you (Seriously, you'll kick yourself if you don't do this!)
chiken

Post by chiken »

:cuccoan:
barok_unlogged

Post by barok_unlogged »

Lets just put it this way: gamemakers for complex games SUCK because each and every person has their own individual taste, and no gamemaker can ever address them all.
Unknown Devil

Post by Unknown Devil »

:devil: I can help u with scripting :devil:
Im awsome on scripting
barok

Post by barok »

thanks, but i'll try by myself. ;)
Qbasic can do much more than you think!