Ishar 2

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Squall

Ishar 2

Post by Squall »

I want to go back in time and play this RPG once more....but my good old PC is dead =*(, so I tried to run it here, in my new one, with Windows XP, but it runs slow and claims that 8kb extra are needed to run. I tried with the "Get DOS games working in XP!" guide, but...
1) It doesn´t matter if I set all of the values in the drop boxes to the highest value available in the "Memory" tab of the EXE, it just keep asking for the goddamn 8kb
2) I don´t understand "Part 4: Custom configuration settings". How do I do to edit the autoexec and config files? Where do I put those lines? ("emm=ram" and "dos=high,umb")

Please, help! I just loooooove this game!
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Autoexec and Config files have .NT extensions, and they're in C:\Windows\System32\
Squall

Post by Squall »

Yeah.....I know where they are, but I don´t know how to edit them, what do I have to do? Enter the "Properties"?
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Open them in Notepad.
Squall

Post by Squall »

Ok, thanx! Is there another possibility of making the game faster apart from the option of the guide? Because, as I said in my first post, I did everything and it didn´t work, the game continues running slow, but no as slowest as before. Anyway, it can´t be played in that way, so.....anyone, be my savior!
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

In Control Panel > Admin. Tools > Services, close down some un-needed Services, like Messenger.

Shutdown some un-needed programs, which DO NOT include: svchost.exe, explorer.exe, alg.exe, services.exe, winlogon.exe, and anything run in SYSTEM.

That should free enough memory. Otherwise, try either VirtualPC or VMWare Workstation
Squall

Post by Squall »

Thank you Splodginator for your help!! If I need some more help I´ll post :)