Help naming an old space game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Crowbar

Help naming an old space game

Post by Crowbar »

Hi!
i'm trying to find an old space game where u played a single ship the entire game. You started in the solar system where something had happen to earth (it had some red stuff around it) and there was only a space station around it, wich served as your "main base" where you upgraded your ship, refueled it, received missions...
u moved the ship around the screen on to the planets, where u went to collect minerals or something in a smaller ship. u could trade or sell them to buy fuel needed to travel around the galaxy.
if u moved the ship out of the screen u would enter hyperspace travelling anywhere u choose in a vast galaxy to other star systems wich had more planets and aliens to make friends with, buy gas, recieve missions...
i don't remember much more of it.
i think i had a 486 at the time, but not sure, it's probably from 95 or older
If anyone remember this game please post its name!
Thanx!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

warpath?
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

hmmm, no.
well at least i can't find anything with that name on the web fitting the one i had in mind, but thanx anyway.
i really can't remember the name!
i don't remember any "war"/combats either on it, could be wrong.
when collecting "minerals" on the planets, some of them had storms, quakes, and/or lifeforms. You had to avoid these or you'd loose your mini ship, if so you'd have to buy another on the space station.
"The Station" was basicaly a picture of you comander? he talked and u had several options to answer with ('adventure game style')
when facing aliens it was basically the same, a picture of them, they talked and u had several options to answer
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

well i found it! it's called star control just don't know if 1,2,3 or ur-quan masters but that will be easy to figure it out.
i found it on an old post around here
thanx anyway for your time
Tombstone
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tombstone »

I was gonna say Star Control...

:rolleyes:
<b><font color="#FF0000">Thank GOD for <a href="http://www.v-com.com/product/sc7_ind.html">System Commander</a>. Now, anything is possible.</font></b>

IBM PC/AT 386 DX/40
8 MB RAM
Western Digital WD90C11-LR VGA
Always IN-2000 SCSI Adapter
Sound Blaster 16/AWE32 (CT3990)
Thrustmaster Pro FCS
Belkin Serial Mouse
MS-DOS 6.22
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

That's Star Control Two... Ur Quan Masters ... I've been playing it for about 3 hours a day every day as of late... addictive as hell. Just don't play #3, it sucks.
Tombstone
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tombstone »

Why does everybody hate Star Control 3?

I thought it was pretty cool... How can you not love a game with characters like the "mighty thewed K'Tang", the self-proclaimed "greatest dolts in the galaxy"?
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

SC3 is mainly limited to extremely long, boring conversations that walk you through the game without any real inter activeness. in SC2, the game was totally interactive. You could go anyware you want, visit any star system, and do so many things that I can't even name them all. You had control of EVERYTHING. The story will change to your personal taste, and you can experience it in any way you please.

In SC2, with Hyper Space, you feel as if you're voyaging through through a wonderfully complex and varried, inhabited universe. You can feel the life around you and the alien hyperspace encounters add beautiful color to the game. You actually feel the enormas vastness of space traveling between star systems, but the constant life is so well tuned that you never get bored.

SC3 seems totally lifeless and icolated... you get lonely quick playing it. You also feel that the wonderful cosmos is now nothing more than a boring, breakible toy. You lose all sense or awe for distance or beauty.

Don't get me wrong, SC3 is okay as a game in generally... but it comepletely destroyed the originality and total replayibility of the series... it's not special anymore, just another game.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Where can I download Star Control? It sounds pretty cool!
"You believe me," I said gratefully.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan,
Chapter III
Do you like medieval fighting games or RPG's?
Click aici.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Aw request...
NO Windows, NO DOSBox, DOS!
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Would you mind explaining that response?

I came here hoping that someone had given a meaningful response and I would, within the hour be enjoying the game.

Thanks for wasting my time.
"Of course I do," and he held out his hand. "I believe everything out of the common. The only thing to distrust is the normal."

Chapter III
Click aici.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Ask Accolade. As far I know, they aren't released as freeware.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

They were released as Freeware about half a year ago... http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ <-where you can download the freeware Windows version. (Still under construction today but quite stable... you shouldn't have any problems... I didn't)
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by 486 player »

Thaks for correction.
Homz
Expert
Expert

Post by Homz »

Thanks for the link, DB.

Sorry for snapping at you like that, 486. I didn't understand what you meant. aw is an acronym for Abandonware. I'm still a bit of a newbie, so I didn't know that was what it meant.

I guess it isn't possible to get the real version w/out doing AW?

Chapter III
Click aici.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

That is the real version. Every thing about it is the same, it was made from the same source code,... EVERYTHING. The only difference is it's ability to work under modern OS's.
Da_Goat
Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

Post by Da_Goat »

I think it's a remake, though; just a very faithful remake.

Like Abuse.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

No, for the last time, it is NOT a remake. It has the same sound files, voice files, game files, source code, everything! It is a carbon copy of the original... it IS the original! It's the same game released by Toys for Bob, it was compiled using the same sources that they used to compile the original. Now PLEASE stop saying it isn't! I've played it all the way through, it is IDENTICAL. The ONE and ONLY difference is that it works on modern Operating Systems (and this is done only with a converter-patch thing that sets up a emulation window so you can play the same original game) ... get it? Shesh.