single character pixel cave dragon river game (Not Adventure)

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
AvellanaGamer100

Post by AvellanaGamer100 »

i remember playing it in the early 2000's back when my mother would, instead of buying us current age Tec like a Wii or even a cell phone, she would get us more old style things like an Atari and other such games you plug into the tv with the red yellow and white cords. in this game there is only one character - you. there is a map full of caves with a river crossing in-between somewhere and at the right end of the map there is what i think was a dragon you had to fight, but first you had to go through the caves to find a boat to cross the river, and i think 1 or 2 other items i cant remember like a sword to fight the dragon maybe? inside each cave there would be very few monsters. mostly bats, but occasionally there would be this pinkish oval blob monster that was very fast and could not die. i also remember occasionally finding a room with a sleeping bear that never did anything when i came across it, however i remember reading the game instruction manual and it saying the bear was supposed to be able to wake up and attack the player. when you want to leave a cave you have to find a ladder to climb out of, then you can go to a cave that is directly next to the cave you came out of. i think i remember about 7-15 caves covered the map so it would take a while and i never ended up actually crossing the river because it took so long. the game involved a lot of searching, and although its looks and sounds similar to Adventure, it is not Adventure.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

So was it a text adventure, sometimes they have still image graphics, or a graphics point&click adventure?
I assume the latter, as the blob monster you say was fast.

Some unknown Atari console; 2600? Probably a different one?
AvellanaGamer100

I do not remember any text in the game
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Maybe Dragon's Quest or a Twist in the Tail?

Alternately it could perhaps be one of the Dragon's Lair series of games? They required timed actions, but I don't know if they had any ladders to get out of dungeons.

All presuming you had some Atari console, but you did not specify that.
Swiftcutter
Expert
Expert

Post by Swiftcutter »

I think it is Dragon Stomper (or Dragonstomper)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hardcore ... omper/amp/
AvellanaGamer100

it is neither dragon stomper, dragons quest or a twist in the tale or one of the dragons lair games. i remember the console being simular to the atari without actually being one. i wish i knew the console name to make it easier
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Can you be more specific on the graphics used? Do you know of any game with similar imagery?
How were the menus placed around the gameplay window? Like popups or fixed in top/bottom/sides?