PC 3D adventure in medieval castle late 90s early 00s

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Marsbars

Post by Marsbars »

I hope you can help, been trying to remember this game for ages.

PC adventure game exploring a medieval castle, would've been Windows 3.1 at that time.

It's 3rd person, fixed camera in 3D scenes. It has look and feel to Alone in the Dark game, so possibly same period about mid/late 90s (maybe early 00s) and maybe French. The graphics are realistic, not cartoony, though 3D was still not detailed then. I think I played Little Big Adventure around that time too, just to set the time period, it didn't look like that game at all.

It begins with an animation of a male youth riding a horse into a castle. Something about its inhabitants have disappeared, maybe rescue a princess.

You explore the empty castle, find weapons and shields, better ones as you progress but it's not RPG, no stats to upgrade. There are puzzles to solve to get to new areas, eg. how to open a gate. You fight non human enemies like ogres or goblins but it's really more exploration and puzzles than action.

Scenes I remember are climbing on a thatched roof, getting up onto the battlements, a big empty courtyard.

I vaguely remember a princess trying to communicate with you. At that stage of the game, an evil wizard appears on the castle battlements shooting magical balls at you, he can teleport I think.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: PC 3D adventure in medieval castle late 90s early 00s

Post by MrFlibble »

Marsbars wrote:It's 3rd person, fixed camera in 3D scenes. It has look and feel to Alone in the Dark game, so possibly same period about mid/late 90s (maybe early 00s) and maybe French.
Makes one think of Knight's Chase as it uses the same engine as AitD.
Marsbars

Re: PC 3D adventure in medieval castle late 90s early 00s

Post by Marsbars »

Not a bad attempt but it's not it.

Made me realise I didn't describe it correctly.

AitD seems to be a wrong comparison apart from being 3D and same time I played the games as it was on the same Windows 3.1 PC.

The art design isn't as realistic as AitD. It may have been like a Disney cartoon, that kind of realism. The colours were brighter, blue skies, daytime.
It's not modern day, it is set in medieval times.
The camera is further back so the character is smaller, more like Super Mario 64 or even smaller. It wasn't just behind the character's shoulder.

Sorry if I'm not being helpful
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Could it have been Ecstatica or its sequel?