Side-scrolling dungeon crawling 2010-2014 [UnEpic]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Marcu472

Side-scrolling dungeon crawling 2010-2014 [UnEpic]

Post by Marcu472 »

So,i've been looking for this game for a long time,but these are the tags i remember about it
Hard(If you die,you restart from the checkpoint)/2d/dungeon/male character/mature content(Optionaly)

Story-At night,you and your friends have a board game named after the game(i think),and at one point,they say something about how one of the friend got cursed,because he took cursed treasure,then you somehow enter that board game.Then,you stumble exacly in that cursed treasure,and you take it.
Then a floating skeleton head comes and says something about "You fool,you are now cursed to die!",but you don't die,and now HE is cursed to follow you in your dungeon journey.

That's all i know,i hope someone finds it,im really looking into it.
Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by Marcu472 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wise guitarist

Post by The wise guitarist »

Undertale,maybe?
Marcu472

Post by Marcu472 »

The wise guitarist wrote:Undertale,maybe?
Yea,i can see the things that are common,but,there are some problems with the
simmilarity of the game that im trying to make,and Undertale (not implying it's a bad game,all the things you see bellow are just to point out the differences).

-Made in 2010-2014.
Undertale was released in September 15, 2015,and yes,the game im trying to find is also pixelated and 2D,but im talking about actual 2D (Undertale is kind of a 2.5D,you can move up/down/left/right)and that game was a different type of 2D,the platformer kind-of 2D.

-Mature Content.
Sure,Undertale MAY have some hidden jokes or stuff,that mature stuff im talking about is a bit more mature than Undertale,i mean actual nudity and stuff.

-Story.
Undertale starts with a child going into a mountain,and falling into the underworld/underground,where the game im trying to find is happening in the more modern world,where some friends go to a place,and play a board-game,that you will be stuck in the actual game (i don't know the ending of that game sadly,i played it like 4-5 years ago and left to a point,idk why).

Stuff i forgot to add-
-it is really hard,and if you die,you restart from a checkpoint
-the main character was a male,and you were in some sort of dungeon

Though,still,thank you for still replying,and i hope the new info helps you.
:D
Marcu472

Re: 2010-2014 Game

Post by Marcu472 »

Well,it seems like a month celebration as this post has been up,hope i still get some replies!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

There are basically two ways your game can be identified: either someone knows it and will recognise from your description (but so far no one has), or we can use the clues you remember to look in the right direction and find it via a database like MobyGames.

The description you provided is sufficient for the first scenario, but a bit lacking for the second.

For example, you say that the game is 2D but you don't mention what perspective it uses:
Marcu472 wrote: that game was a different type of 2D,the platformer kind-of 2D.
Does this mean side view like in a typical platformer (think Mario)? I'm not sure.

A while ago I threw together a checklist of sorts for what helpful info could be included in a description. But in this case, apart from the perspective thing, it would not hurt to clarify the following:
  • what kind of combat was there (if any), and what kind of monsters? I mean, did you have a sword, or a gun, or whatever, or just had to avoid monsters altogether?
  • if there was combat, was it real-time or turn-based?
  • was there any levelling up? did your character gain experience? was it possible to buy or craft items?
  • did you have an inventory for the items you found (if any)?
  • what did the dungeon look like? Assuming it was side view, was it like Prince of Persia or let's say Rogue Legacy?
  • was the movement in the dungeon more about walking or jumping and climbing like in Prince of Persia for example? or a more arcade style of jumping?
Marcu472

Post by Marcu472 »

MrFlibble wrote:There are basically two ways your game can be identified: either someone knows it and will recognise from your description (but so far no one has), or we can use the clues you remember to look in the right direction and find it via a database like MobyGames.

The description you provided is sufficient for the first scenario, but a bit lacking for the second.

For example, you say that the game is 2D but you don't mention what perspective it uses:
Marcu472 wrote: that game was a different type of 2D,the platformer kind-of 2D.
Does this mean side view like in a typical platformer (think Mario)? I'm not sure.

A while ago I threw together a checklist of sorts for what helpful info could be included in a description. But in this case, apart from the perspective thing, it would not hurt to clarify the following:
  • what kind of combat was there (if any), and what kind of monsters? I mean, did you have a sword, or a gun, or whatever, or just had to avoid monsters altogether?
  • if there was combat, was it real-time or turn-based?
  • was there any levelling up? did your character gain experience? was it possible to buy or craft items?
  • did you have an inventory for the items you found (if any)?
  • what did the dungeon look like? Assuming it was side view, was it like Prince of Persia or let's say Rogue Legacy?
  • was the movement in the dungeon more about walking or jumping and climbing like in Prince of Persia for example? or a more arcade style of jumping?
Yes,Thank you for replying,and im sorry i haven't filled you in with those informations.
You mostly have a real-time combat,mostly using sword,bows,axes,and other types of medieval weapondry.
From what i remember,there were some rats or something,but later in the game,you meet some minotaurs,and floating skulls.
Also,yes,you gained experience,after that you chould spend point for leveling up,but it all hapened in real-time,the game didn't pause when you did it,so you had to be carefull.
Also,yes,you have an invertory,but i don't remember exacly anything else about it.
The side view is more like Prince of Persia,but the room was bigger,and the zoom was smaller,containing all of the room,but the only part you chould see was around your character,like a realistic torch only filled your view (you chould see behind him too).
The movement is kind-of like prince of persia,but mostly it's acade-like,you jump arcade-like,but then the climbing animation is...you know.

I hope the new info is helpfull,and im sorry i didn't clarify these things,thank you,and have a good day :devil:
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Yes, more info is always helpful if only because we can use the clues for the game browser in MobyGames. I'm assuming that the game you're looking is for Windows (if not please specify platform), and since you can level up it probably goes in the RPG department. So here's a list of Windows side view RPGs:
https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/ ... ist-games/

Note that while the MobyGames database is large it is by no means exhaustive so your game might still be missing from that list.

If you haven't found it we can try different combinations of filters (e.g. drop the RPG part and use action instead).

Here's a list for Windows platform adventure games:

Windows platform action games, side view:

You can also use a different approach and try Google Images, here's a search query for windows side scrolling rpg.
Marcu472

Post by Marcu472 »

MrFlibble wrote:Yes, more info is always helpful if only because we can use the clues for the game browser in MobyGames. I'm assuming that the game you're looking is for Windows (if not please specify platform), and since you can level up it probably goes in the RPG department. So here's a list of Windows side view RPGs:

Note that while the MobyGames database is large it is by no means exhaustive so your game might still be missing from that list.

If you haven't found it we can try different combinations of filters (e.g. drop the RPG part and use action instead).

Here's a list for Windows platform adventure games:

Windows platform action games, side view:

You can also use a different approach and try Google Images, here's a search query for windows side scrolling rpg.
Thank you for trying to help me,i searched all of the games that included those tags,even tried to remove/add some,but it seems like the game in trying to find isn't on the page.
I guess it is either a really old game,or really unpopular,but i remember it being done very well,including Swearing,Adult Content,Gore,etc.
I don't know if this will help some of you,but i will still be searching for it,if i see it,i will tell you.
Good luck,and see you soon :devil:
Marcu472

Post by Marcu472 »

well,i still haven't found it yet,i'm still searching for it,if you guys can help me,i whould really apreciate it,thanks!
Marcu472

Post by Marcu472 »

OMG I FOUND IT!
It was "UnEpic",
omg,thank you guys so much!
Thank you a lot,MrFlibble,im seriously happy that i got to refind it,thank you again!
if anyone else sees this post,try the game yourself,it's really fun!
Once again,thank you for helping me find this game,and i hope you have a great day!