'Modern' action hybrid game from the early to mid 90s

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
termnus77

'Modern' action hybrid game from the early to mid 90s

Post by termnus77 »

Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me locate the title of a game i played as a kid when i was in elementary school (early to mid 90s). From what I remember it was a hybrid of a shooting gallery and missile command, with I believe a third game type in there as well. Let me elaborate:

Shooting gallery sections: You would be defending your troops who would be crossing in front you in first person, whilst hostile soldiers would be trying to kill you and them. You had to defend them and get as many troops across alive as possible to continue the mission/campaign. I remember it was controlled with mouse and keyboard or joystick

Missile command sections: You would be in command of a PATRIOT/MLRS missile battery trying to defend either bases or cities from an enemy counter attack with missiles and controlled it using mouse and keyboard.

There would then be a third section, but the details are very fuzzy, it may have been similar to Beach head. I do remember the premise was you were invading somewhere as an army. I've been struggling to find anything of what this game could of been.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Was it played on PC DOS platform or something else?
termnus77

Post by termnus77 »

It was DOS I believe, with a modern military setting for the time.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Did the game switch between the three types, or did you have to run them separately?

I recently ran into a Capcom "Arcade Hits Pack" that put games like Sidearms, Cabal, and Street Fighter together in one release. Cabal is a military shooting gallery, that's what made me think of it.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

There's something called 'Desert Storm - Command' which may be such a mix. (Assuming the action is on earth, and not sci-fi stuff)

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/deser ... and-deluxe

(It seems to be available for download on some sites that have better pics than Moby, but I don't know if those links are kosher here)
termnus77

Post by termnus77 »

They ran in the same game I remember.

YES! :no1: That's the one Rwolf, although i swear the guys in the shooting section were wearing green :huh: . Either way, thanks for the help, i know what I'm going to sink a few hours into :D
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Quadko wrote:Did the game switch between the three types, or did you have to run them separately?

I recently ran into a Capcom "Arcade Hits Pack" that put games like Sidearms, Cabal, and Street Fighter together in one release. Cabal is a military shooting gallery, that's what made me think of it.
Now that the game was guessed correctly I suppose I can reply to other things... Cabal was the game! I loved the way it played, especially in the arcades. Had the track ball and all. I use to sling it to the bottom side to make my guy roll. :D But later levels it was har dto aim and move at the same time. Reminds me of Dynamite Duke, although as I recall it did not have a track ball, just a joy stick and had close up melee attacks as well. Side Arms was pretty decent too, although I only played that in a Capcom's Collection. But the original Street Fighter... ehhh... not very good in my opinion. It was a real pain trying to throw a fire ball or do an upper cut and I have no idea why.

It was interesting to see some of the originals coming back into Street Fighter with in their different series and people (Including me.) thought some of these fighters were completely new and original, namely the old kungfu man (Gen was it...) and the Thia kickboxer (Adon or something as I recall.).
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I never got a chance to play Cabal in the arcade, but the CGA implementation was fun and pretty impressive for its age. I was thinking it was a real gun game; but trackball makes sense!

I never got into arcade fighting games; Virtua Fighter is the only one I remember playing just for the "real 3d" novelty back in the day. Soul Calibur and DoA on consoles, however... :D

I wonder how different computer and console games would have been if arcades hadn't been invented. OTOH, entertainment machines at social gathering places were already common, so no way arcade games could have been avoided; it was computers and consoles that were the innovation. Happy innovation!
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Well on the NES Cabal played with the directional buttons. You could either move left or right and roll in either direction or move the gun cursor on the screen if you pressed the fire button. It was the same as the arcade, minus the trackball of course, but same controls. And one button was for the machine gun, while the other was for the grenades.

Virtual Fighter was never my forte. :blah: I am not sure why, but it always seemed overly complicated and you could "virtually", no pun intended... :suspicious: lose with in a matter of seconds on two or three long string combos. Strangely enough I did enjoy the Tekken series, although I have not played anything past the third installment and I still prefer the second myself. I remember playing Fighting Vipers in the arcade as well, ehhh... Dead or Alive with the code for super bouncy on the PS1 was always nice... :jester: And Soul Blade (Original game.) and Soul Caliber were of course good as well. I liked Killer Instinct as well.

SEGA with it's Saturn and Dreamcast were more or less home arcade machines than anything else. They had practically perfect arcade ports. Only other console to do that and was arcade perfect was Neo-Geo, but that SOB was expensive, not to mention the games! :cry:

Sadly pinball is no longer around. Oh you might find a machine from time to time, but most of those are some how made to lean a certain way and purposely make you lose or worse yet it does not work properly, such as usually a weak flipper or something.

I have not researched it enough, but obviously the arcade should of come out first, where they racked in from the sells of the arcade machines and then sold the games months later after the charm ran out and could be played at home unlimited. But even still, nothing beats going to the arcade and playing on a machine, usually a fighter or sports (I hate sports, but I know others who played the heck out of them, especially NBA Jam.) and play against a multitude of opponents. Until the invent of games to be played online, such as on the original XBOX and Virtual Fighter 4 or 5... you could only play with friends and or family at a get together. But you know how each person plays after a while. In the arcade environment you never know unless it is the exact same players over and over again, but you know what I mean.

And some games can only really be properly played at the arcades, usually the larger light gun games, race games and anything with unique bell and whistles that can not be easily done with a standard controller. But arcades around these parts suck usually. Just a few old games, screens half can not be seen or joy sticks suck. And most arcades in malls anyway usually are catering to ticket machines for children. Besides I think Main Event and or Buster Daves there really are not good arcades around.