hello, new here, looking for an obscure dos game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.

hello, new here, looking for an obscure dos game

Post by Guest »

hello, i've been searching a few years now for an old dos vertical scroller / shooter that is similar to the 1942/43 games by capcom but it was on the pc for dos.

i can't remember the name only that it has two player support using a keyboard, you each had one plane and had to shoot enemy planes coming from the top of the screen.

might anyone know what sort of game i'm thinking about?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Or related, long Shmup list, sorted by release date:
http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gen ... hoot-em-up
slarlac249

Post by slarlac249 »

thanks but i couldn't see it on that list :( starting to think i'll never find it.

i remember now that the little planes looked like little ww1/2 fighters and there was a lot of almost solid blue sea as the background.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Well per the Wiki 1942 was on-

"Arcade, Virtual Console, NES, MSX, NEC PC-8801, Windows Mobile Professional, Game Boy Color, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Xbox, PlayStation 2, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, PSP"

Now if any of those mean DOS I have no idea... ^_^
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

slarlac249 wrote:i remember now that the little planes looked like little ww1/2 fighters and there was a lot of almost solid blue sea as the background.
Hmm, not Flying Tigers by any chance?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Post by Guest »

naa, was old style planes, nothing futuristic and it wasn't a jap game either.

might of had wing in the title but i have yet to find anything that looks familiar.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Zaxxon or BlueMax (hm, not dos) or River Raid. Swarm Assault, Twin Eagle?

Anything more you can tell us about when you played it, was it on disks or downloaded, old dos or pentium dos or windows 3x / 9x, etc.?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

[quote="Quadko"]Zaxxon or BlueMax (hm, not dos) -snip-[/quote]

At least Zaxxon was available on PC, but as a PC booter, not DOS.
(It wasn't top-down like the 1942/-43 console games from Capcom though.)

(BlueMax as seen on the PC was a more modern variant, with a 1st person cockpit view.)
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yeah, we're well into lateral thinking to possibly overcome memory mismatches. And hey, booters count as "dos" like 80% of the time, 99.99% to non-experts who "ran a game on my 1980s ibm pc". ;)

I was surprised to find a "real dos" version of River Raid, but I think it started life as a booter as well before being "converted" to a dos exe. I always played that game on Atari 8bit.

But back to the OP, thing is, I swear I had a Dos port of one of the arcade 1942 shmup series (1943? 1941?) but haven't been able to come up with it again, and have since run them in MAME so don't entirely trust my memory anymore.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Anonymous wrote:and it wasn't a jap game either.
Well thank goodness a black person had not made the game ehhh... :o

I was surprised how well River Raid or it's sequel actually plays and it's content close to 1942 or I should say vice versa. (Did not get to play either of them until Activision Anthology.) Besides just slinging random crop duster games out loud I really can not say any other games come to mind at the present moment that were not already mentioned.