Guess The Game

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

No... :huh: But interestingly enough...

Clue 2: Was a hybrid game- a mixture of Zelda, Metroid and Darius all rolled into one... and a very over looked game in my opinion.
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

DOS Wolf wrote:No... :huh: But interestingly enough...

Clue 2: Was a hybrid game- a mixture of Zelda, Metroid and Darius all rolled into one... and a very over looked game in my opinion.
Super Mario Crossover?
DOS games are cool!
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

Can someone guess this..... :angel:
DOS games are cool!
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

RetroDosGames wrote:Can someone guess this..... :angel:
Only one game at a time. If you guess right, you get to post your game.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

DOS Wolf wrote:No... :huh: But interestingly enough...

An adventure-rpg, a platformer, and a shmup walk into a bar... I'll have to think about this one.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

@RetroDosGames:
http://www.pollak.org/img/ts300/scsh1.png

Also, you might want to choose another game for us to guess, since this is easily identified as your favourite game, and its path/filename gives it away too.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Rwolf wrote:its path/filename gives it away too.
Google search by image also does the trick.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Clue 3: No internal battery for game saving and passwords are a biatch! No pun intended...

However on the upside of having passwords are that if you can figure out or by now since these games are so old, find them in books or online, you can cheat and or at least uber your character and change it's starting point, etc. Plus now also because of many years gone by, unless you have a soldering gun and feel comfortable messing with your baby... once these batteries die, you are SOL. I bought both Legend of Zelda of the Oracle series and they both could not save. When ever you buy such an old game, especially when you see no current game saves from previous owners, save as quickly as possible and shut the game off entirely and then restart. (I even go as far as pulling out the cartridge and reinsert it and then power it up, but that may be taking it a step too far.) If the game save is still there you are good. Although for how much longer is a different matter one can not tell that I am aware of.

With passwords you will never have that problem. However making ridiculously long and hard to read passwords that can scale up to over 20-40 digits with numbers, upper and lower case lettering, accents and symbols can be quite frustrating to both write down and to also input. I can not remember all the times I had written down what I thought was blinking right in front of me and then finding it is invalid...
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus, Mary!

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

God, Jesus, Mary!

Yes, I know how you feel.

No ability to save means super challenge.

Being able to save means you have unlimited lives.
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

That's a great analysis, DOS Wolf. I agree completely. :clap:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Is it Blaster Master?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

No, but very close.

Clue 4: It was a "Legend" ahead of it's time...

I liked Blaster Master, especially the first level or two. But then I kind of got stuck in the later levels and it was harder to drive and jump the several platforms and kept bumping the hood of my vehicle and it seemed hard to regain my energy or fuel, while trying to kill everything that seems to glitch by that point.

Still though, that was a car and a driver who could get out and walk about. This was a female who could walk around and fly. (Darius clue...)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Crap, I forgot the character was a girl... I'm honestly not sure anymore. Can the next hint be platform-based? lol
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

wardrich wrote:Crap, I forgot the character was a girl... I'm honestly not sure anymore. Can the next hint be platform-based? lol
:suspicious: I already had with my first clue... :huh:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Oh right... so it's an overlooked "legend" of an NES game that featured a morphing/transforming female that plays like a mixture of Zelda, Metroid and Darius...
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Yes and the

5th and Final Clue: She was also a guardian...
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Umm...not having played any NES games, the clues seem to point to 'The Guardian Legend'.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

How did you guess that?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Rwolf wrote:Umm...not having played any NES games, the clues seem to point to 'The Guardian Legend'.
Oh I am so sorry... the correct answer is... What is "The Legend Guadrian"... :suspicious:

No you are correct... I mean I had no other clues to give, I had to spell it out... :laugh:

Your turn. :)

But in all honesty, this just goes to show how underrated the game really is. And yet it combines all the elements of Zelda, Metroid and Darius. (Technically it scrolls up, not left to right, but the monsters look "fishy" and sounds a lot better than "1942".) If you can pick this up for $10 or less for sure I would do so in a heart beat. If you can even find it for $20 and you have the money, grab it! It is well worth the price. And the password system, although long is not that hard to recognize what is what. Anything that is lower case will have an accent or line above or underneath (I forget which.) so every thing is easily recognizable with out question.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Holy crap, the first level's song intro sounds just like the intro to The Legend of Zelda II (Overworld)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyfSdJ0 ... 2m17s">The Legend Guardian</a> VS <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4Xtff ... 2m24s">The Legend of Zelda II Overworld</a>