Shadowgate, Uninvited and Dejavu

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Shadowgate, Uninvited and Dejavu

Post by Chilly Willy »

Here's some retro Apple games from Zojoi...

http://www.zojoi.com/shadowgate_macventure/
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Some of my favourite games on the NES. Never played the Apple versions, but the DOS versions were so unforgiving in comparison.

Zojoi is a team that basically consists of the old programmers for these games. I guess they've realized the popularity of the games over the years and decided to reband. They recently re-invented the classic Shadowgate game for PC. It features new puzzles, rooms, and challenges, while still maintaining the classic look and feel. A few of the older puzzles are in there as well. I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan!
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

The NES versions were a pain. Very slow scrolling, even if a button made it slightly faster. (Although I forget if that was even available.) The Advance trilogy however, I believe you could press Select or something similar and you could jump to the next folder and sub folders, etc. All in all though, they were decent games, but I still hate SG. My torches kept going out and you were instantly dead from "falling" or something else as you "stumbled" through the dark.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

I played Shadowgate back in the 90's and enjoyed it. I've never played the DOS version. Did the DOS version have background music like the NES version? I know the Apple version didn't.
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

DOS Wolf wrote:The NES versions were a pain. Very slow scrolling, even if a button made it slightly faster. (Although I forget if that was even available.) The Advance trilogy however, I believe you could press Select or something similar and you could jump to the next folder and sub folders, etc. All in all though, they were decent games, but I still hate SG. My torches kept going out and you were instantly dead from "falling" or something else as you "stumbled" through the dark.
I was really surprised playing the newest version of the game that I was able to traverse quite far without having a lit torch. It actually kind of bugged me because that torch was a great system. It was predictable, as well. Essentially, it always fizzled out after a set number of actions.

The newer version has this really stupid "Curse" system built into it. You'll be juggling torches as well as this curse crap. You'll also probably spend your first several runs dying from the thing. It seems to be unpredictable, and you don't really realize how bad it is until it's too late. You can eventually cure the curse, but that is assuming you've made it far enough in few enough moves to concoct the potion to cure yourself. After that, it's just your torches that you need to keep an eye on.
Chilly Willy wrote:I played Shadowgate back in the 90's and enjoyed it. I've never played the DOS version. Did the DOS version have background music like the NES version? I know the Apple version didn't.
No, I don't believe that it did. I love the NES soundtrack for all three games. I actually even prefer the classic versions over the newly remade versions.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

wardrich wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:I played Shadowgate back in the 90's and enjoyed it. I've never played the DOS version. Did the DOS version have background music like the NES version? I know the Apple version didn't.
No, I don't believe that it did. I love the NES soundtrack for all three games. I actually even prefer the classic versions over the newly remade versions.
You and me both. I prefer games that use 256 colors or less. I like seeing what an artist or even an animator can do with limited resources. Plus it reminds me of my childhood I guess. I'm actually working on a game that is 4bit color. Maybe I'll announce it on this forum when done... if that's allowed?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Chilly Willy wrote:
wardrich wrote:
You and me both. I prefer games that use 256 colors or less. I like seeing what an artist or even an animator can do with limited resources. Plus it reminds me of my childhood I guess. I'm actually working on a game that is 4bit color. Maybe I'll announce it on this forum when done... if that's allowed?
Rad! Can't wait to hear more about your project. As for the graphics, the ones in the new Shadowgate are a pretty respectable facelift. True to the original game, they're more just paintings with some subtle ambient animations here and there. There is an option for "retro" graphics, but it basically just pixellates the crap out of the paintings... kinda dumb. The retro soundtrack is spot-on, though.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Thanks! Will have more info as the game gets closer to being complete.

I knew there was a "retro mode" or something in the new Shadowgate but I expected some pixel art. Not just pixel blurring of the originals. I'm just glad they offered the old Apple version. I purchased it plus Uninvited as I had never played that one yet.
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Uninvited is awesome! Played an NES ROM of it ages ago. What's your Steam ID?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I normally do not click on random links, are those versions free? Also any one play the N64 version? New story, actually quite liked it except the graphics were a bit dark and muddy and the first part of it was trying to get out of an ugly looking dungeon. Of course how pretty can you make a dungeon I do not know, but the point is, trying to find certain objects laying around was hard. I quit after I got stuck and never went back to it.

But I remember seeing an old PC magazine when I was a child and the game looked like it had really good graphics. But when I played it at least on the NES and Advance, the graphics did not look as nice. But I saw screen shots of the PC and or Amiga, etc. later and they did not look all that great to me either. I guess when I was a kid I thought the graphics were awesome, either that or the PC magazine touched up the shots, but I doubt that. Then again I thought the original Super Mario Bros. was awesome in looks and looking at it now it is down right ugly. Yet I still like SMB 2 and especially 3.

Anyway, I did not know that the torches went out after so many actions. I figured it was just after the time in game itself.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

wardrich wrote:Uninvited is awesome! Played an NES ROM of it ages ago. What's your Steam ID?
I don't use Steam. I usually purchase DRM free games through GOG.com or if the developer offers them through paypal.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

DOS Wolf wrote:I normally do not click on random links, are those versions free? Also any one play the N64 version?
Nope, they're pretty cheap though and can be purchased through paypal.

As for Shadowgate 64, I haven't played that version yet. It's on my list though.