Old game where you play as a goblin

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Rufus

Old game where you play as a goblin

Post by Rufus »

Hey, guys!
I've been trying to remember the name of a game that I played when I was just a kid, sometime in 1999 or 2000.
In the game I was playing as a gobin. Not very sure if it is a goblin, but I'm very sure it isn't human. I remember that I had mind control powers. If I put my character to focus some time, he could control an enemy and move the enemy around. In the first levels, I recall controling some kind of robots.
The story was about my character being trapped and he has to escape and his path he has to rescue others who were imprisoned there. I remembered that I had to create portals with my mind in order to save them and send them to safety.
The style of the game is similar to Prince of Persia 2D, I mean you can see floor beneath you, or above you. Everything was 2D. I think the graphics are better than Prince of Persia 2D though.
And in some certain levels, there was an eye watching me. If the eye was present, I couldn't do any mind control things, because the eye would not allow me.
I hope this description is enough for you guys to recognise the game and tell me its name. This game brought so much joy to me when I was a kid and it would really mean a lot if I could find its name and play it again.
I hope somebody will read this post and help me.
Thank you! :)
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

The description of the goblin kind of threw me off, but thinking back on it now, I guess it would be the closest thing to call it for the game I am thinking of. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee or it's sequels, you are a green slave miner and I believe your mouth is taped (Or your people's are, either that or blind I forget.) and find out they are going to slaughter you to make snacks. You try to escape and in doing so free your comrades.

Although I am not familiar with the portals or mind control, since I never got very far in the game itself, I do remember there was mysticism in it and other things, (And perhaps you could chant and memorize certain enemies.) so most likely that is it, especially when you said 2D and like Prince of Persia, but with better graphics. The controls are quite stiff as I recall, you move forward and there is a slight lag to stop and longer if you run and you can roll or hang off walls like PoP as I recall as well.

But it's defining feature was it's odd ball humor. You could talk by making beeps and whistles as I recall and even fart. And it was more or less trial and error to get through the levels, at least until you figured out the controls and you were always dying constantly because of the traps. Again I never got that far, but sure would like to try it again on the PS1. I hope that was it. The game was also around that time period you mentioned as well.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

DOS Wolf wrote:Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Yes, I also thought about this one. Here's a MobyGames link: Oddworld: Abe's Odyssee.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Thank you all for the responses! This is the game. I already downloaded it and played it a bit. I missed this game so much. I could never found its name, if it wasn't for this forum.
Thank you all once again! :)
dr_st
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by dr_st »

Don't forget to play the sequel - Abe's Exoddus. Just as awesome, IMO. B)
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

I am just glad I could help. I may not have much knowledge of DOS or the "computer" systems back in the day, but give me something on a console up until the PS2 or even Windows from 2000 and up and I will most probably know it. Also I am not much into games made on the newer consoles, as in going from 2D to 3D usually, but one exception is Oddworld: Strangers Wraith. If you can find it, it is well worth the price. A very fun, unique, even "odd" FPS shooter. Has nothing to do with Abe mind you, but the same kind of oddities in the game.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

The new one that came out is like the old ones, have a look at that as well! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddworld:_New_'n'_Tasty!