Early 90's RPG Dungeon Crawler With Milk/Water Flakes

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Early 90's RPG Dungeon Crawler With Milk/Water Flakes

Post by DOS Wolf »

I can not tell you how old the game actually is, except this was early 90's as I recall when I happened to see and or play it. But maybe it was old for it's time so say possibly even late 80's. I also am not entirely sure if it was on a floppy or on cd, since it was not my game nor even my computer, but I am pretty sure it was on a Windows or maybe a Mac, but more leaning towards Windows. Regardless, it was a standard looking computer monitor with a hard drive, keyboard and mouse.

I do not remember much about the game, but I know it had to do with an RPG and in first person, maybe a dungeon crawler. You moved and you could not see your hands or feet etc., just whatever was directly in front of you. Upon starting the game I had a chance encounter with a flying goblin or devil. It asked me a question or initiated combat and I was given the choice of attacking, talking, running or giving it something and that something was dried milk or milk/water flakes. I remember trying to attack the creature first, but it was too nimble for me and I kept missing, but it was hitting me. Then I tried to escape, but it would not allow it. I tried to talk and or give it what I had, hence the milk/water flakes, but it either straight out refused the offer or accepted, but still tried to kill me. And I think my starter weapon was a knife or a dagger, but in all honesty it was too long ago to really remember.

I think the game revolved around portals and transporting through time, but do not try to think too much on that part because it is more vague than the rest, but I was in a fantasy medieval looking kind of place and I believe it may have been raining too... But I mention the milk/water flakes or what ever flakes they were, because it was an unusual item for a game to have and they were in a clear bag looking thing as I recall in my inventory and I think possibly stackable. And the game did not look like your average DOS game, I mean the colors and the graphics were a bit more vibrant, but then again I am not sure of the higher spectrum of DOS games either.

And I have already searched here and another site and have not seen a similar game to it under RPG or Adventure. I am hoping someone here can help me out. Thank you.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

First thing that comes to mind is Shadowcaster, just from an annoying first encounter. But I don't recall options to talk to it.

Was it first person like Doom and FPSs, or more like the Might & Magics "forward one tile, 90 degree turn left"?
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Thanks for the attempt, I see you try a lot for others as well, but that was not it. It looks too ugly to be my game. Of course back in the day when I was a child I thought Asteroids, He-Man, Pinball, Indy 500, Combat, Star Wars, Pitfall and Berzerk on the Atari 2600 looked amazing... :laugh:

Regardless, it was not like DOOM, more like Might and Magic where you moved one tile at a time and turned 90 degrees. And although I never even played past the part of the flying devil/demon, I am pretty sure there was no shapeshifting as that game was about, but I could not honestly rule it out either. But it was, as I said, with options to attack, defend, talk, give, run, etc. Now I can not say those were the exact terms, but they were basically the options.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Shadowcaster is definitely ugly doom 3d style, so we're probably looking for an artistic Might and Magic style game.

Stonekeep is that kind of game, and you meet and talk to (and might have a chance to attack - bad idea!) the big bad guy on the first level - that fourth screenshot: "You meet Khull-Khumm, the Shadow King, very early in the game."

Might and Magic (and an early Ultima, but that's not first person) is the only game I remember personally that mixed science fiction and fantasy and maybe time travel; not to say there aren't more, but it might be worth going through the full M&M series list.

You can also look through mobygames lists, like RPG first person Fantasy or RPG first person science fiction. Sometimes you can get it sorted by date, like the first list, sometimes it just shows the alphabetical list if there aren't that many games, like the second list.
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

Stonekeep does remind me a bit of the game I am referring to, but the combat system is not the same, at least not by those screen shots anyway. Also I still think my game looks a bit better than that. And I looked through all the Might & Magics and Ultima's last night on Moby and they do not look like it either, especially not the Us, unless there was a special one some where. I also tried to look at some odd ball ones, but still can not find it.

I think in all honesty, the deciding factor in finding my game is to find the one with “flakes” of some kind as an item, dried either water (Can that even happen, but then again this is a magical world we are talking about.) or milk. Either that or find the exact pic of that flying creature in town and the options shown on the side.

Edit: I see what you mean by searching on the links you provided. There is a game called Alternate Reality: The City that... if the graphics did not look so bad, compared to how I remember my game to be anyway, this would be the game. But I believe all the options for encounters happened on the side, not directly underneath and the text up top were not like that either or sore on the eyes.

But the story, not that I really remember it, seems to fit... I then tried to see it's sequal :The Dungeon, but no and then I tried to look at games from the develper, but I think they show all games and not so much RPGs any more, so I am just going one by one for those two links you posted. But if you know off the top of your head, another type of game almost like Alternate Reality: The City, but better graphics, please let me know. I want to say the graphics were digitized, that is all I can think of.

And I may feel a little embarrassed, but chalk it up to me being a child at the time... water "flakes" may very well of been water "flasks"... But I want to say they were flakes, because I still remember a bag with powder in them, unless that was suppose to be a water skin with a design... hmmm...
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

There was a CD Rom game that looks like a fancy version of that, IIRC. I always have difficulty remembering the name for some reason - I thought that was what you were talking about! :)

It had psudo FMV for character interactions, I think, but you walked around a rendered alien city and the graphics were pretty cool. There was a lockdown going on, so many streets were baracaded, so they gave the illusion of lots of freedom but still kept you pinned in an area. At least that was the start area, not sure if it went spaceward or dungeonward from there, all in one city or across many.

All I'm coming up with is The Labrynth of Time, Prey: An Alien Encounter (that's a weird one), Alien Incident, Alien Legacy... Not really hits, but I'm having trouble finding what's in my head and no one else is posting, so I thought I'd give 'er another try.