Tempest clone (maybe)?

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
cupz

Tempest clone (maybe)?

Post by cupz »

Hello its me again,

This site helped me find a game before, so here it goes again. Again I played this game some time ago so allot of these description should be taken with a grain of salt.

It was an action shmup in the vein of Tempest 2000. Very psychedelic Jeff Minter-esque, though looking for tempest clones has been proven unfruitful. It probably contoled circulair like tempest and the enemies aproaching the same manner , but I dont remember a web of any kind. The main thing I liked about it was the amount of powerups. It was minimalistic and geometric in graphics, with even the bullets being (green?) vectors and the background being pictures of cloudy space shizzle (skyroads-ish maybe?). It was on one of those "1000 War Games!!!" sharewave/shovelware cd's that I really wish I could find again (if you know which one I mean GIMME GIMME!). I can imagine it was from a single developer in scale/simplicity. I would say 1994/1996'ish? Could be off by a year or 2.

I've looked through all pages of action/arcade games on mobygames looking for it to no avail, though I might have overlooked it.
cupz

Post by cupz »

Also, I'm a big fan of these types of these "tunnel-shmups" or whatver, so even if it only remotely looks like what I described it I'd be glad to check it out regardless if it is the particulair game I'm after now.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

It's not ringing any bells, especially from that era. Have you tried looking through the archives of CDs at http://cd.textfiles.com/? They have a lot of such old CDs archived; though there are thousands of those old shovelware cd's as you say, and they only have "a few" - tens or hundreds.

If you've tried mobygames.com, you could also try searching uvlist.net - they are similar to moby with a different database of games.

And have you tried the google image trick? It sometimes turns up the game or at least a fruitful area of searching: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... %20windows
DOS Wolf
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by DOS Wolf »

S.T.U.N. Runner comes to mind. The arcade cabinet had a seat like a jetski and I think had the same kind of steering like handle bars as well. You were mostly on the ground, but I remember you could do a 360 if you were going fast enough and the indoor tracks allowed it. There were also outdoor tracks and I am pretty sure rings or something you had to collect in order to gain either speed or fuel. And you could collect power up weapons on the way and I think destroy flying enemies as well. You shot lasers that may have been green and things kind of just "broke" apart when destroyed. It is on the Midway Arcade Treasures 3, their whole racing theme collection.

Edit: I apologize for reviving an old thread.