Boppie's Great Word Chase

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Vyothric

Boppie's Great Word Chase

Post by Vyothric »

I'm looking for a game that I think was called either Boppy/Boppee or Bop-It/Boppit. Something like that.

I remember very little about it myself so I asked my sister for some help. Here's what she said...

"I think all the gameplay took place on one screen, on which there were several platforms. There were letters to collect to make a word, like on Word Rescue. I think you played as a ball*, a bit like the 'Bounders' from Commander Keen 4. The graphics were either CGA or Monochrome."

It looks something like this:

*Possbly a Pac-Man like character I think.

There's nothing else I remember about it myself. Just that it would have most likely been played on a 286 in the late 80's.

PS - It's not Boppin'
Last edited by Vyothric on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Best I'm coming up with is Word Rescue. Worth a look? There's also an old Sierra game Bop-a-bet, but I'm not finding screenshots.

Re: Boppy / Bop-It ?

Post by Guest »

Vyothric wrote:I'm looking for a game that I think was called either Boppy/Boppee or Bop-It/Boppit. Something like that.

PS - It's not Boppin'
Maybe you are looking for Bumpy. It's a ball. I do remember the several platforms, not the letters though. Just objects to catch.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Re: Boppy / Bop-It ?

Post by wardrich »

Anonymous wrote:
Vyothric wrote:I'm looking for a game that I think was called either Boppy/Boppee or Bop-It/Boppit. Something like that.

PS - It's not Boppin'
Maybe you are looking for Bumpy. It's a ball. I do remember the several platforms, not the letters though. Just objects to catch.
That was the game I was going to suggest OP check out, but I couldn't remember the name of it myself.
Vyothric

Post by Vyothric »

Thanks for the suggestion(s). Bumpy doesn't seem familiar at all though.
Vyothric

Post by Vyothric »

Haven't found the game yet, but found out what it's called.

Boppie's Great Word Chase.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Cool, glad you got that far! I see lots of C64 references, but didn't come up with any dos references. Are you sure it was on a PC?

Either way, happy hunting! :)
Vyothric

Post by Vyothric »

Definitely PC. I asked my dad about the game the other day - I just knew the game as "Boppie" (didn't know how it was spelled), he said it had Word Chase/Word Chaser in the title. With that new info I was able to find it.

I found the disk it was on too. Due to my dad's handwriting I didn't actually know what it said before. I had previously thought that it might have said "Bopp__" so I did try the disk but it doesn't work. I'd assumed that the rest of the writing were other games.

Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Heh, haven't seen this site before but cool info about the game: http://www.pixelatedarcade.com/games/bo ... /techspecs
Looks like it came on a magazine disk: Computist Issue #89
Ebay Canada has a disk copy (for way too expensive for me!): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Boppies-Great-Wo ... 0862880219
bobgosh

Boppie's Word Chase

Post by bobgosh »

I can't remember if it's spelled Boppie's or Boppy's Word Chase but you are correct on the name. It was on the Commodore 64 around 1984ish. I remember it well, have had the music stuck in my head for 30 years and am looking for something on it too.