Getting Battle Isle 3 to run with Dosbox

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
tomern

Getting Battle Isle 3 to run with Dosbox

Post by tomern »

Hi, I am pretty new to this, but I set my dosbox up as explained for windows xp.

I downloaded it from here:
http://www.SNIPPED.not.allowed.here.com

But when trying to load in dosbox it says
"This program cannot be run in DOS mode"

Can someone please explain to me step by step how to make this specific game work? Where to install, how to mount, what EXE to run in dosbox and how.

Thank you!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Getting Battle Isle 3 to run with Dosbox

Post by MrFlibble »

tomern wrote:But when trying to load in dosbox it says
"This program cannot be run in DOS mode"
That's right, because Battle Isle 2220 is a Windows game, it can't be run in DOSBox.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Indeed, as listed on the game's info page:
Platform : Windows 9.x / XP
So if you can't get it working directly on a newer OS: VPC2007.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
tomern

Post by tomern »

I have windows XP but I get this error when trying to run the game:

http :// s1.postimg.org/pijwkhha7/error.jpg

Is this fixable?

I have installed VPC2007.
How do I know which operating system I need?
Where can I obtain it?

Thank you.

[Edit by ~dosraider]
http://s1.postimg.org/pijwkhha7/error.jpg
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Did you try 'compability' set to W98 (rightclick on the executable)? Doesn't always work but sometimes ...... yeah, it's a bit a gamble.

Otherwise: guest OS to run in VPC2007: Win98SE
(or Win98 but W98SE is slightly better)
Where to obtain it: google and search pirate sites/torrents.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

I remember that the demo of the game did not run for me in WinXP.

If you have a powerful enough PC, you could try booting Linux in a virtual machine and running the game in Wine. Or just set up a dual-boot Windows/Linux system.
tomern

Post by tomern »

dosraider:
I don't have the compatibility option when I right click, I will try the VPC.

Is using VirtualBox also good? I saw an explanation how to use it with one of the win98SE I am downloading, it is a vdi file.

MrFlibble: Thanks, but I have no Linux experience so I will try the first option.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I thought those types of errors had to do with the .net framework, but I could be totally wrong on that.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

tomern wrote:dosraider:
I don't have the compatibility option when I right click, I will try the VPC.

Is using VirtualBox also good? I saw an explanation how to use it with one of the win98SE I am downloading, it is a vdi file.

MrFlibble: Thanks, but I have no Linux experience so I will try the first option.
If you don't havethe compability option it means that:
Or you don't have the needed permission to do that (account?)
Or something is wrong on ya PC (wardrich has a point ....)

Virtualbox doesn't support W98SE normally, but it is possible to run W98SE as guest in it,
Al will depend of the skills of who created the virtual HD .....

It's also possible that the downloaded game is poorly ripped or borked, we can't know, maybe ask where you downloaded the game? Does it need to be installed? A crack? Registry settings ???? No idea.
Or hunt the net for the full original CD image?

Or simply buy it for a 9.99 @GOG?
http://www.gog.com/game/battle_isle_pla ... eb9a3a7efd

Contains:
Contains full versions of the following strategy games in one package:
• Battle Isle 1 including Data Disk 1 & Battle Isle ‘93 & Historyline: 1914-1918
• Battle Isle 2 including Scenery CD “Titan’s Legacy”
• Battle Isle 3 along with extensive video sequences
• Incubation and The Wilderness Missions,
A nice and cheap deal I must say.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

It depends on the error code, some are certainly .net framework related. Looks like the 0xc00000005 is an Access Violation.
This problem is generated by Microsoft's Data execution prevention (DEP) . For more information, reference Microsoft Technet
Any application that is not registered with DEP will receive an exception with status code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005).
Sounds like a "sloppy" Win95 era game that "usually" works and occasionally crashes; things like buffer overflows or writing to invalid pointers/memory, or even directly accessing memory it shouldn't, like the OS. Starting in XP and way more in Vista->7->8, MS OS's watched for such things and disallowed them using various tricks, and MS programming tools helped avoid such things. Sadly, nothing can retroactively fix them.

I'm glad you're giving the VM a shot, I hope it works for you! You might also have fun setting up an old game box (ebay!) Hopefully someday DosBox will support Win98 or someone else will come out with an equivalent Windows Game Emulator "WinBox" or something.

edit: Ooh, I totally missed the fact it was sold on Gog.com! Nice - they've done a good job with emulation tricks and hacking patches for the games they can get licenses to package and sell. It's a totally hassle free way to play.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Yes, XP had some start at memory protections, and some Win9x games wouldn't play. Vista introduced more, and even some XP games wouldn't play. 7 & 8 introduce more protections, and that's why a lot of otherwise working games won't play on newer OSs even with settings and getting 32/64 correct.

Some of that "protections" were against memory bugs that were greatly responsible for Blue Screens of Death, others are driver issues or games looking in Window's memory for data instead of calling the appropriate API... all "bad" things for stability, and progressively disallowed as more versions of Windows come out.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

I saw some German gaming forum posts indicating it is possible to play BI3 on XP, with some effort (even under 64-bit Windows).
Since I don't have the game myself, I'm not able to test these workarounds.

XP:
http://www.spieleforum.de/thema/168866.html
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin ... p?t=347070

Win7:
http://www.gamershall.de/index.php?p=showtopic&toid=62
exoscoriae

Post by exoscoriae »

for the record, Battle Isle 3/2220 is Win 3.1 compatible... barely. It requires the WinG and Win32 libraries.

I've been testing various installs of the program using a Win 3.x install within dosbox, but have not managed it yet. Seems to be a hang up in the way dosbox and WinG work together. That said, I have managed to make many other WinG compatible games run.