Help me find a game [Nitemare 3d]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Yagel

Help me find a game [Nitemare 3d]

Post by Yagel »

Hi!

I played a game where you were running around in garden (first person) and there were skeleton mages and warriors and other creatures like zombies and you shot them with your wand with cool magic! some bushes you could open like doors in wolfenstein. I remember finding different keys of different colours that you needed to advance. I played this between 1994-1996 i think on a windows PC. Might be windows 95?

Who will be my saviour? (IF you have a reddit account gold will be given!)
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Your description reminded me of two games: The Catacomb Abyss and I.M. Meen.

[Edit] Also maybe Nitemare 3D, it has outdoor areas too IIRC.
exoscoriae

Post by exoscoriae »

def. sounds like catacomb abyss. Like wolf3d and doom, the first volume was released as shareware and then 2 more were sold.

A little trivia - there is a whole mess of catacomb games. Originally the id founders (carmack, romero, hall) made a game called Catacomb (1990), which was top down and played a bit like gauntlet. Before leaving softdisk to start up id, they also madeCatacomb 2 (also top down), and then Catacomb 3-D. This last one was a FPS, and resembled Wolfenstein in a *lot* of ways (which isn't surprising, as that is the first thing they went on to create).

Softdisk took the series after they left and created The Catacomb Abyss, Curse of the Catacombs, and Terror of the Catacombs. These were released on Gamer's Edge, a quarterly subscription service that sent out games on disk.

The games were then tweaked and the names were changed to The Catacomb Abyss, Catacomb Armageddon, and Catacomb Apocalypse and re-released in stores under the Froggman games label.

Excuse the write-up - I just finished re-playing through the series about 3 weeks ago, and during that time I had read-up on it.
Yagel

Post by Yagel »

Wow amazing. I think I've mixed up two games actually. Catacombs abyss is the key part which i played but nitemare 3d is the one I was thinking about. Im stunned how good you are at this, especially when I was that vague!

PROPS!

If you have a reddit account, gold will be given!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, I'm kind of a fan of old 2.5D FPS games, and besides, there aren't actually too many titles that would fit your description (Wolfenstein 3-D-y look + garden + magic wand + skeletons).