'90s subscription disks with "desktop" tiling imag

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

'90s subscription disks with "desktop" tiling imag

Post by Quadko »

Not a game per se, but for a while in the '90s I subscribed to "monthly disks" with random shareware, games, tools, tiling desktop images, and other BBS stuff on them.

I can't remember which set, or any of the names, and wondered if you might have some pointers where I could look.

What I'm looking for in particular was a set of cool tiling backgrounds (probably in 256 VGA). They were called "metalic" or "space" something, and looked like someone generated "fractal bands" or "rings of saturn" looking transparent colors on top of each other. For example, a black background, red bands horizontally, and blue bands vertically. Sort of like this shutterstock sample, but (smaller!) and with differing colors, transparency, and patterns:

Last edited by Quadko on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Pffffffffff..... 90s ....BBS stuffs .....

That's gonna be a tiny needle in a big haystack ..... as you probably know.
:laugh:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Truth!

I remember Big Blue Disk / Softdisk, but that doesn't look like "the one", and I think that was the brand name and I tried a cheap knock-off... If anyone remembers other names I can research, that would be a big help, or if you might happen to know a friendly list of such products I can wade through.
exoscoriae

Post by exoscoriae »

After the run of 121 BBD issues, they ran a shortlived subscription called SoftWIN that specialized in utilities, apps, wallpapers, and games for Windows 3.x I have managed to track down about 10 of those discs. They do have a back issue browser on them that could be checked for these, however if they were released on an issue after my last one, it obviously won't be in there. Plus... I'm not sure how detailed it is when it comes to describing the individual backgrounds on the discs. I'll take a look for you though.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

That would be cool, thanks! And I'll do some research on SoftWIN, that sounds familiar.