Command HQ In Windows 7

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Steve4

Command HQ In Windows 7

Post by Steve4 »

I downloaded the latest version of DOSBOX .74. I am trying to play Command HQ in Windows 7. I mounted the HQ directory. I type chq.exe and when I press enter DOSBOX shuts down. This worked for me in Vista on my old computer. Can I get this to work on my new computer?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Original game?
Mount lines?
Install/setup choices?
Did you install the game within dosbox?
Inputs when you run the game?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Steve4

Post by Steve4 »

I'm not sure if I understand all of your questions, but here goes.

Original game? Yes.
Mount lines? mount c "c:\hq"
Install/setup choices? None
Did you install the game within dosbox? No
Inputs when you run the game? chq.exe

The Command HQ program is located at C:\HQ\chq.exe

Thanks

Steve
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Steve4 wrote: Mount lines? mount c "c:\hq"
Completely wrong under Win7, read and apply this please:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511
Steve4 wrote: Install/setup choices? None
Did you install the game within dosbox? No
As you have the original game: You must install the game in dosbox.
Steve4 wrote: Inputs when you run the game? chq.exe
The Command HQ program is located at C:\HQ\chq.exe
If you follow the howto to install/run dosbox correctly under Win7 (it's there for a reason, mostly to avoid such problems as you have now and to protect your PC against sveral thing that can go wrong with your mountings, just saying)
-> your path in Windows should be:
c:\users\your name\oldgames\ for your virtual C: mount

-> when you install the game in dosbox your dosbox path will be:
c:\hq\
-> Your Windows path to the game will be:
c:\users\your name\oldgames\hq\

To run the game after install, and if you followed my advise, your dosbox inputs will be:
cd hq
hq

FYI: Command HQ runs fine in Win 7/dosbox.

A final and well meant advise: NEVER, but really never work directly on your C:\ in Win 7 , Win3x,Win95 and Win98 times are long gone.
Work in your personal user folders, that's how it's meant to be and it is certainly more secure.
Take or leave the advise, after all it's your PC ..............
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Steve4

Post by Steve4 »

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try. I don't kknow why it's so much more complicated. The way I'm doing it worked in Windows Vista on my old computer.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

It's not really 'more complicated'.
What's changed are the rules to get a more secure system.
There are more security policies and restrictions build in W7, and to be honest, it was about time.
Just to state one example:
Unix and Linux OSses are so much more secure than Windows just because of the restrictions that are build in those systems, none on Unix likes ever works on the 'root' nor runs common progs as administrator.

What is a valid possibility is to create a D:\ partition, and on that one you can work on the root ( D:\ ).

And add a lot more tech blah blah blah here ........ booooooooring.

Bottom line: adapt yourself on the (much, much better!!!!) security rules and policies.

[Edit]
Now that I think about it, first try this:
Follow the link to set up dosbox correctly and then:
Copy/move your current \HQ\ folder to
c:\users\your name\oldgames\
With a bit of luck the game will work, as it's stored in a simple directory without subs, and otherwise: delete and reinstall in dosbox.
Steve4

Post by Steve4 »

I gave up on this 3 months ago (although you say it's not more complicated). Even though I've been programming computers for 15 years I can't figure this out. I suggest you dumb it down if you can. I miss my HQ so I'll try one more time before I resort to setting up a dual-boot system on my computer.

I went to the link above and I entered the mount info in the config file. That works nicely, but it doesn't solve the problem. When I start DOSBOX it begins in my OldGames folder. The problem is when I browse to the sub-folder with HQ and I enter chq.exe DOSBOX thinks for about 3 seconds and then shuts down.

Again, it worked great for me in earlier versions of Windows. I'll even send you a $10 contribution if you can show me how to get this to work. Should I try running DOSBOX in some compatability mode in Windows? Has anyone else here other than the owner gotten this to work in Windows 7?

Thanks

Steve
Steve4

Post by Steve4 »

One other update:
Above you wrote "If you follow the howto to install/run dosbox correctly under Win7 (it's there for a reason, mostly to avoid such problems as you have now and to protect your PC against sveral thing that can go wrong with your mountings, just saying) "

I just did a search of your README file for the word INSTALL. I never found any "howto". Can you tell me what steps it takes to install Command HQ in DOSBOX? I just navigated to the HQ folder (in DOSBOX), typed install.exe, and DOSBOX disappeared with no error messages. I don't think that installed anything.

Steve
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Steve4 wrote: Can you tell me what steps it takes to install Command HQ in DOSBOX? I just navigated to the HQ folder (in DOSBOX), typed install.exe, and DOSBOX disappeared with no error messages. I don't think that installed anything.

Steve
????
You need to mount your floppy as A in dosbox and do the install within dosbox from A on C
Do you even have the original game? Or did you downloaded the files somewhere?

If you have the original game, delete everything and proceed this way:
Mount your floppy drive:

Run install from floppy:

Answers to questions/steps that will be asked:
-> For graphics: choice is 1
-> For sound choice is IBM
-> copy now ? Y
-> machine setup 3 (floppy+HD)
-> OK C:\HQ\ ? Y

That's it, I don't see where you get your problems....

Games runs fine, no need to do anything else.
If it doesn't work for you your install media are corrupted.

Otherwise post exactly and detailled your mount lines.

Also:
Steve4 wrote:I miss my HQ so I'll try one more time before I resort to setting up a dual-boot system on my computer.
Bad idea, MsDos will run on a modern PC but you will have all kinds of other problems, believe me.
If you want dual boot take the FreeDos road and boot Freedos from USB without HD access, but I would strongely advise you to try VPC2007 first with guest OS MsDos 6.22 or even W98SE, you state that you program PCs for 15 years now, so I shouldn't even have to explain how VPC works.
Steve4 wrote:... Even though I've been programming computers for 15 years .....
Steve4 wrote:Should I try running DOSBOX in some compatability mode in Windows?
No, absolutely NOT.
Dosbox runs fine on every Win platform, 32 or 64.
Compatibility mode isn't needed, again: absolutely NOT.

[Edit]
To be complete:
Installed game from USB floppy drive as my W7 compy doesn't have a floppy drive, damn I hate modern stuff...... @#@#@#@#
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

As I suspect you don't have the original game but just a bunch of files so I tried something out to get the game running.
Here is another way to get things running:

-> create (whilst in Win) \oldgames\temp\
You should have no problem with this if you followed the Win7 dosbox howto .....

Now copy everything from your HQ folder into \oldgames\temp\

Run dosbox and input:
mount a "x:\users\your name\oldgames\temp" -t floppy
a:
install

replace "x:\users\your name\oldgames\temp" by your correct path, again: shouldn't be a problem if you followed the win7 dowbox howto ....
Follow steps further as described in the post above this one.

If you can't get it running:
dosraider wrote: Otherwise post exactly and detailled your mount lines. .....
Be a bit more communicative than you were till now please, THX.
sjmiller314

Command HQ and Dos Emulators

Post by sjmiller314 »

Great response by dosraider directing to the sight http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511. When I went there I tried following the directions, but had to
modify a little. I couldn't get it to open as said via Start Menu, but went to the directory and opened it directly. I then modified the program as stated by putting
the mount command at the end. I also changed the first screen size to 'true' from 'false' so Command HQ wouldn't be in such a small window (the disadvantage of this
is that you cannot stop running the program to do anything else). I put the command hq files in the stated director, and then to run all I need to do is type C: when
the dos emulator starts, and then chq.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Command HQ and Dos Emulators

Post by dosraider »

sjmiller314 wrote:Great response by dosraider directing to the sight http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511. When I went there I tried following the directions, but had to
modify a little. I couldn't get it to open as said via Start Menu, but went to the directory and opened it directly.....
Means you screwed up somewhere, nothing else, dosbox comes with a start menu link towards config file.
sjmiller314 wrote: I also changed the first screen size to 'true' from 'false' so Command HQ wouldn't be in such a small window (the disadvantage of this
is that you cannot stop running the program to do anything else). I put the command hq files in the stated director, and then to run all I need to do is type C: when
the dos emulator starts, and then chq.
You can make the window bigger by using windowresolution in config file, note: it's windowresolution, not windowsresolution.
You also need to change the output, won't work with surface. It's all described detailed in the documentation.
Your method won't work swell with many newer hardware, causes problems, whilst by using windowresolution to widen dosbox window you avoid them problems.