World Rally Fever in Win XP

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
shepherd

World Rally Fever in Win XP

Post by shepherd »

I have Dosbox 0.74 and Win XP.

I have the game files in a folder I named "WRF" which is in another folder I named "OLDGAMES" on my local disk.

I type this in Dosbox:

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES

C:

CD WRF

RALLY.EXE

It loads up the movie, gets to the menu, but has no sound and doesn't load any race, just freezes and crashes!

I played this game on an IBM computer when I was a kid in the 90s then I had to leave the country with my family leaving the computer behind. Would be nice to play it again on a modern computer.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Do you have the original game or downloaded?
Did you install the game in dosbox?
Where is the CD mount line?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Sorry, here are the answers..
Downloaded. I did not install the game in dosbox. Don't have a CD. I thought the folder named "WRF" with all the files would be the same as mounting a CD. Correct me if I'm wrong.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

shepherd wrote:Don't have a CD. I thought the folder named "WRF" with all the files would be the same as mounting a CD. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, not the same.
The game expects the music files on CD, it's a mixed mode CD
shepherd wrote:Downloaded. I did not install the game in dosbox.
I think there's your problem.
You could try to run setup and choose SB16/AWE64, works fine here.
But if your download is incomplete (ripped) you probably won't get sounds/music, maybe it even won't run at all .......
Also possible it's missing a lot of subfolders ..?

Maybe ask where you downloaded the game how you should run it? After all, they should know their stuff.

Also:
May I ask what's the size of your WRF folder? (rightclick on WRF folder ->' properties'), would tell a lot of what they offer.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

That would be 26.9 MB
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Ough .... your download is a shameless rip my friend. You won't get much out of that one, it's missing some 530MB worth of files .....

If you really want to play that game the only legal way is to buy it on GOG
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/world_rally ... 33c6c46e0b
5.99$ , kinda cheap for a full game I would say.

As you can see their download includes the full CD image and is some 555MB ...... says enough I guess.

*(And otherwise, you'll have to hunt for the CD image -(best here would be a BIN/CUE one, not ISO)- on illegal sites or torrents, but then you're on your own, can't help you with that stuff, it's illegal)*

[Edit]
You can get a legal demo @ http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Wor ... Fever.html
But as stated it's a demo, nothing more, 1 driver, 1 track to try out, no sound/music, nothing more, but runs in dosbox 0.74
Can help you decide if the game is worth a 5.99$ ...........
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Yeah that demo is great. Runs perfect in Dosbox 0.74 too. I think I rather buy the original CD-ROM and experiment with it in Dosbox than get an electronic version. It's really hard to find in the USA though as it was only released in Europe/Australia. Anyway, thanks for your help dosraider.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You're welcome :)

Have to say that even if you get a 'real' CD you'll better create a BIN/CUE of it to use with dosbox, modern CD drives aren't really suited to use with those old games, they do a lot of CD access, and modern drives suffer from spin up/down times and more: they get pretty hot after a while (also the inserted CD !!!.
The old 2-4-6X drives didn't do a full stop contrary to the newer ones.
shepherd

Post by shepherd »

Hey, I'm still here thinking...

Do you know if there is any difference between the original WRF DOS cd-rom and the one re-released by Sold Out Software? Is the latter somehow a Windows 95/98 version? Wouldn't it still need Dosbox to run?

And about creating BIN/CUE image of the cdrom, which freeware program would you recommend for this job? Wouldn't there be protection on the cd preventing the conversion? Thanks a bunch.

BTW I'd buy this game on CD from anyone who has it if it's cheaper than what GOG wants for it. So I can pay just enough to cover the international shipping plus a little more for the game.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

shepherd wrote:Hey, I'm still here thinking...
Don't think too intensive, you could hurt your brain .....
shepherd wrote:Do you know if there is any difference between the original WRF DOS cd-rom and the one re-released by Sold Out Software? Is the latter somehow a Windows 95/98 version? Wouldn't it still need Dosbox to run?
No idea, Windows release listed 2012 @ mobys, a remake? Or most probably simply the dosvers with dosbox included, that's what you usually get on GOG, pre-installed and pre-configured dosbox+game.
shepherd wrote: And about creating BIN/CUE image of the cdrom, which freeware program would you recommend for this job? Wouldn't there be protection on the cd preventing the conversion?
That would be ImgBurn
http://www.imgburn.com/
Freeware and damn good soft. Creates dosbox compatible ISO and/or BIN/CUE images.
Just be a bit careful when installing, or you'll have some extra toolbars in your browser, ads pay the stuff (as usual .....)
Most DOS game CDs didn't had draconian copy protection, in those days there weren't enough CD burners around to copy stuff .... only later dosgames on CD had those.
WRF works fine with BIN/CUE, that's how I run it.
shepherd wrote:BTW I'd buy this game on CD from anyone who has it if it's cheaper than what GOG wants for it. So I can pay just enough to cover the international shipping plus a little more for the game.
:laugh: Don't hold your breath .......