DOOM in dosbox [Win7]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
the_atm1

DOOM in dosbox [Win7]

Post by the_atm1 »

Ok, so I'm no noob to Dosbox, i've run Arena, fallout 1,2, and simcity 2000 with little to know problems other then starting them, but I got them to start.

I downloaded DOOM 1 from this website and I attempted to start it as normal but to no avail. I tried installing it but it says it's not compatible with Windows 7, so i go into preferences and change it to compatibility mode windows 95 again to no avail.

So I load up Dosbox, mount it and everything and I try to run install, won't work, well I did not except it to, so I try to run the DEICE file, and it says that it's missing the BATCH file I believe, or something like that.

Like I said maybe i'm doing something wrong but I can still run Arena and Simcity 2k on it, am I doing something wrong? thanks in Advance and I'm new to the forums.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Hello, gonna need some details from you:

OS?
Mount lines?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
the_atm1

Post by the_atm1 »

sorry, Windows 7, what do you mean mount lines?

I put mount C C:\dosgames (I have a folder in my C drive called dosgames)
Run: Install my Doom stuff is not in a folder in dosgames it's just there. I'm not sure what to put for that, I think I usually just put run: what ever.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Hmmmm, whilst your C: mount was OK for XP in Win7 it isn't.
Win7 knows much more restrictions and that mount will give unpredictable read/write problems.
To avoid such problems: please read and apply this;
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

Post your mount line afterwards and I'll tell you how to proceed.
Once your C: mount is OK it's pretty simple to get things running, really.

Also, whilst:
the_atm1 wrote:Like I said maybe i'm doing something wrong but I can still run Arena and Simcity 2k on it, am I doing something wrong.......
Those are simple games, but once you try games that needs install or a specific drive - dir/subdir structure you hit a concrete wall with your C: mount.
Like I said before, Win7 isn't XP, you need to follow some basic rules, and a mount c c:\dosgames isn't suited for Win7.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.