CD Exclusive Demos

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Some exclusive demo versions from a CD-ROM Games CD:

Fade to Black PC DEMO version 0.90e
The CD version of the demo includes the intro cinematic.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdromgames/cdro ... /DELPHINE/

I.M. Meen two-level sampler
A playable demo of the edutainment game, includes the intro cinematic.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdromgames/cdromgames6/IMMEEN/

Mortal Kombat II playable demo
Liu Kang and the three male ninjas are available for play in the demo.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdromgames/cdromgames6/MK2/

The Need For Speed - PC/CD DEMO version 1.0
Compared to the smaller website demo, this one has extras like the video intro preview of the playable car.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdromgames/cdromgames6/NFS/
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hmm, someone posted a demo of Wings of Glory from a cover CD of PC Format April 1995 issue:
http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/w ... lory-demo/

The only difference from the Internet demo is an included 9 MB Origin product catalogue though.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:The Need For Speed - PC/CD DEMO version 1.0
Compared to the smaller website demo, this one has extras like the video intro preview of the playable car.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdromgames/cdromgames6/NFS/
Actually, the CD demo appears to have a completely different racing track too.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Age of Empires II CD Demo (CGW)
The Computer Gaming World February 2000 issue cover disk contains a release of the Age of Empires II demo with different custom scenario and mutiplayer maps compared to the Internet download version. The custom map is called Trial Baltic Map.scn and allows to play as the Celts against two computer opponents. By contrast, the Trial Coastal Map.scn in the Internet release allows to play as the Britons, and the map itself is also different. The multiplayer map in the CD demo is called Trial Multiplayer Team Islands Map.scn (in the Internet demo, the multiplayer version of the same Coastal Map is used instead). Apart from that, the demo is identical to the Internet release.

The installer is called a2cddemo.exe (49 091 848 bytes) and its date is November 2, 1999.

Flying Corps DOS CD Demo v1.00b
This demo comes from the July 1997 issue of Computer Gaming World Magazine CD, however it has also made its way onto other demo CDs as well.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Shadow of the Comet CD Demo
The demo of the CD version with the voiced-over dialogues can be found on the German PC Games Magazine issue 3 '95 cover disk. The demo allows to play somewhat into the story of the full game; also included are several pre-made saved game files showing key areas and events of the demo storyline.

The same CD has a German language version of the Star Wars: Dark Forces demo. It's the same v0.163D as the regular public version, but all text and voices are in German. The demo lacks the intro and ending cutscenes though, which apparently had not been translated at that point. This demo can be also found on the Power Play magazine cover disk, also from March 1995. That CD has a two-volume ARJ archive with the demo files, which might have been the original distributive.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

System Shock CD Demo
This is the demo of the Enhanced CD version with SVGA mode support and voice-overs.
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdrommag/cdromm ... RY/SSHOCK/

Syndicate Plus Demo
http://cd.textfiles.com/cdromgamesgdc1/GAMES/SYND/
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hallfiry was able to obtain a copy of the early demo CD of Daggerfall, which has the female Spellsword. Details and download links are here. And here are the photos of the CD and its cover.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Another treat from Hallfiry comes in the form of a boxed shareware version of Warcraft: Orcs & Humans which he obtained recently. The shareware version has the same set of levels as the regular Warcraft demo from Blizzard's FTP, but it also includes video cutscenes, mission briefing voice-overs, an electronic manual and more music. The contents of the CD can be downloaded here, and here are scans of the CD and the box.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

MrFlibble wrote:.....but it also includes video cutscenes, mission briefing voice-overs, an electronic manual and more music....
:)
Much appreciated, THX.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote:The shareware version has the same set of levels as the regular Warcraft demo from Blizzard's FTP, but it also includes video cutscenes, mission briefing voice-overs, an electronic manual and more music.
I've finally got the time to download and check this version, and my post above turned out to be not entirely true.

First, this version indeed has six fully playable scenarios (three for each side), as promised on the back of the box. In the demo from Blizzard's FTP, there are only two actual scenarios per side, with the third ones being unwinnable by design levels that end up with a "buy the full game to play further" message. The shareware CD version adds the dungeon scenarios (level four in each side's retail campaign) to the levels from the demo version. On the other hand, unlike the FTP demo, it is not possible to train Clerics and Necrolytes in the third level of each shareware campaign.

There is more MIDI music than in the FTP demo, and animated cutscenes (intro and victory/defeat screen animations). However, mission breifing voice-overs from the retail CD version are not present.

The fun thing is that FormGen, who distributed the shareware version, grant the license to freely distribute it electronically:
"WarCraft: Orcs & Humans" Copyright 1994, 1995 Blizzard Entertainment

Released by: Blizzard Entertainment
3152 Redhill Avenue, Costa Mesa, CA, 92626, TEL: 714-556-5571 ("Blizzard")

Shareware version published by: FormGen
7641 East Gray Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85260, TEL: 602-443-4109, FAX: 602-951-6810, ("FormGen")

BY COPYING, USING OR DISTRIBUTING THIS SHAREWARE PROGRAM,
YOU INDICATE YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS OF THIS vendor.txt.

=====================
KEY POINTS
=====================

[*] IMPORTANT!
FormGen has a worldwide exclusive license to manufacture and market the Retail Shareware version of
WarCraft: Orcs & Humans for sale in retail stores, commercial locations and all other physical or
electronic channels of distribution, licensing and sale. Anyone who violates this license may be prosecuted
by FormGen.

[*] If you want to distribute the WarCraft: shareware in a retail location (such as on
a rack), or as part of a hardware or software bundle, or on CD-ROM, you must get PRIOR signed written
permission from FormGen. FormGen reserves its right to withhold permission. For licensing contact:

FormGen
Attn: Software Licensing
7641 East Gray Road.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
TEL 602-443-4109 or FAX 602-951-6810

[*] Everyone can -- and is encouraged! -- to copy, upload and generally pass around this Program
electronically WITHOUT CHARGING FOR IT. [/b]

[*] All advertising of the Program must include "FormGen" and "Blizzard
Entertainment" in the description.

[*] The Program is marked "Shareware" and contains "six playable scenarios".
No right is given by this vendor.txt to copy, use or distribute any other version, including any version that
is registered, or not marked shareware, or that contains any episodes other than the six original playable
scenarios.

======================
LICENSE
======================

[1] DEFINITIONS: "Program" means the shareware version of WarCraft: Orcs & Humans consisting of
the files listed below. The "Trademarks" consist of "FormGen", the FormGen logo, Blizzard Entertainment
and the Blizzard Entertainment logo.

[2] OWNERSHIP: FormGen owns and reserves the exclusive right to distribute the Program, and to use
the Trademarks in connection with it. Its content, layout and format are the property of FormGen and
Blizzard Entertainment to the extent permitted by law.

[3] GRANT AND CONDITIONS: FormGen grants a non-exclusive license to distribute the Program on
IBM compatible media under the Trademarks subject to the following conditions:

[A] CONDITIONS FOR ALL DISTRIBUTION, BOTH FREE AND FOR A CHARGE:

[1] All of the Program's files, including this one, must be included as released by FormGen, without
modification. The following files must always be included in a single combined distribution file,
containing no additional files not named below, to constitute a legal version for shareware distribution:
With this kind of license one may only wonder why this version wasn't widely distributed back then.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Wow. The picture of the game really makes it look better than the actual one on my DOS. haha However, the main characters are there. Yep, everything looks right. That is the Heroes that I have officially. It is nice to have an official disc. However, I do not know why it was sold for only 1 penny. That is what the disc clearance label says. My cousin gave it to me as a present before he left for his job in another state.

Anyways, the main point is that looks like Heroes (of Might and Magic) that I have except your screen makes it look better haha

By the way, congratulations for a great lists. You always seem to do a great job with your list including pictures too!
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

MrFlibble wrote:...IBM compatible media...
But we'll sue you if it's copied to a Mac formatted disk? How about if it's hosted on an Apache Linux web server? :jester:

That's fun. That's pretty much like the Apogee / ID shareware distribution license for their "first episodes", isn't it?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:Anyways, the main point is that looks like Heroes (of Might and Magic) that I have except your screen makes it look better haha

By the way, congratulations for a great lists. You always seem to do a great job with your list including pictures too!
Thanks!

The game should look exactly the same as the pre-release demo, as there are no significant differences in graphics between that pre-release thing and the final version.

It may look slightly better when viewed in its original resolution on a modern high-res display (as opposed to running it full-screen), but I wouldn't bet on it.
Quadko wrote:
MrFlibble wrote:...IBM compatible media...
But we'll sue you if it's copied to a Mac formatted disk? How about if it's hosted on an Apache Linux web server? :jester:
It is my understanding that while a Mac formatted disk is useless with an IBM PC, it is quite possible to download files from an Apache Linux server to IBM compatible machines.
Quadko wrote:That's fun. That's pretty much like the Apogee / ID shareware distribution license for their "first episodes", isn't it?
That's the thing I don't get. The shareware version of Warcraft was published by FormGen, who handled distribution of most if not all significant shareware titles back in the early-mid nineties. They had close ties both with Apogee and id Software.

It seems that Blizzard were not sure what publisher(s) and distributor(s) they should work with. At some point they apparently planned to publish Warcraft via Interplay, like some of their previous titles (there's an early demo of the game that displays the Interplay logo, available here).

Notably though, the CD shareware version was published after the retail game. It might be just that Warcraft II came out so quickly after the first game it simply overshadowed its predecessor and everything related to it, including the juicy shareware release.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

@Mr.Flibble: I've looked at the demo pictures you have again. I guess my game does not show the full screen 1024x800 resolution. Mine looks pixelated haha I am not one to arguments however mine is really not that sharp looking. :jester:
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:I guess my game does not show the full screen 1024x800 resolution. Mine looks pixelated haha I am not one to arguments however mine is really not that sharp looking.
If you're running the game in DOSBox you can actually manipulate what it looks like by changing the output parameter ([sdl] section) and the screen resolution. Lower res will make the fullscreen image more blurry. Using opengl as output will also make it more blurry. Higher resolutions (e.g. fullresolution-desktop) will make the image sharper, and so will the use of output=direct3d.

Also you can just switch DOSBox to windowed mode to have the game run in the original resolution.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Eradicator CD Demo v1.0
Again thanks to Hallfiry's catalogue the CD version of Eradicator demo v1.0 (or more accurately, v1.02) was found on this Secret Service CD. I have uploaded it here:
https://mega.co.nz/#!yYQ13BRK!9 ... MiI2izdp3Y

It is essentially the same thing as the Internet demo v1.02, but it includes music and some cinematics. The demo does not require a CD to run - apparently it was distributed on CDs only because of its large size.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

A CD alpha demo of Absolute Zero:
http://cd.textfiles.com/101bg3/PAGE2/AZ/

The date in the readme is Mar 14, 1995. For comparison, the regular demo is from Dec 15, 1995.

This early demo can be downloaded from Demu.org:
http://demu.org/