Bang! Bang! [Win7]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Rieta

Bang! Bang! [Win7]

Post by Rieta »

Hello.
I just find a screenshoot of a very nice game. It was about in the '90. I really liked it. The name is Bang! Bang! and it's something like a shooting game, or a logic game, where you are one cannon pointing at another one. You've got to get rid of some hills, or other issues like wind and stuff.
I'm searching for a playable version. I've tried to mount it on dos box but it doesn't work, and it's a .exe file: if i just click it i get a notice saying that it requires a x64 bit something. I'm not really good at those things. Can someone please help me? I need a version of it that's mountable via Dos Box.
Thank you.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Bang! Bang!

Post by dosraider »

Rieta wrote: I've tried to mount it on dos box but it doesn't work, and it's a .exe file: if i just click it i get a notice saying that it requires a x64 bit something. ....
Of course it won't work, Bang!Bang! is a windows 3 game, not a dosgame.

Solutions:
If you're on XP there is a (small) chance it will run directly in XP.

Anything newer (or Mac-Linux):
Install W3.x in doxbox, works flawless.
Or run it in VPC2007/W3.x
Or run it in VPC2007/W98SE

[Edit]
Waw, would you believe it even runs directly in Win7 !!!
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Rieta

Post by Rieta »

Thank you for you fast reply. Anyhow i find really difficult to do what you've suggested: my english knowledge is really too low to proprely understand all those codes direction-tutorials, and my programmer experience is even lower. If it's not too much, can i annoy you by asking some easy explanation or some link?

By the way i'm using win 7
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Rieta wrote:By the way i'm using win 7
This:
dosraider wrote: [Edit]
Waw, would you believe it even runs directly in Win7 !!!
If you can't get it running directly you will have to be more detailed about what version of Win7 you run.
And post the exact error message.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Rieta

Post by Rieta »

Version 6.1 (Build 7600) Windows 7 home premium
The error is in my language so i have to translate it:
"The version of the file is not compatible with the window's version being exectude. Chek the system information and verify if it's necessary x86 (32 bit) version or x64 (64 bit) of the program, then contact the software's developer."
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

As it seems you don't know, I'm gonna take a guess:
Win7 x64 ?
Then it can't run directly as it's a 16b prog, no 16b support in Win7 64

You'll need :
dosraider wrote: Install W3.x in doxbox, works flawless.
Or run it in VPC2007/W3.x
Or run it in VPC2007/W98SE
Rieta

Post by Rieta »

I've searched for the w3.x info on the dos box wikia, but i've not found anything and i'm scared i could do something bad. Is there some faq or guide?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

There is a complete and detailed dosbox/W3 howto on Vogons:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9405
All the needed drivers are linked there, of course not Win3 itself, that's yours to find.

However, keep in mind it's written for XP, before Win7/64 was here.
You should first read and apply this to install dosbox correctly on Win7:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

Adapt the mount lines from Vogons to match yours.

Also: if it's just for one game you gonna do this, ask yourself if it's really worth it.
Rieta

Post by Rieta »

Sigh. That looks really, really difficult to follow. I think i would just make caos in my computer and i don't really want to mess up with those things.
I'm sorry for having made you lose all this time.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You're welcome, no problem at all.