re: mapedit v8.4 for wolf3d, blake stone and other games

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
reble

re: mapedit v8.4 for wolf3d, blake stone and other games

Post by reble »

I wasa messing around with the mapedit v8.4 on the Blake Stone level maps. I made a change in mission 2 level 6 and the level plays just fine in the game. I tryed to make some changes to mission 2 level 10 and the changes won't take effect in the game even if I start mission 2 at level 1 and go through all the levels in mission 2. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happing.

Steve
reble

Post by reble »

Why is no one answering my question?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

reble wrote:Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happing
reble wrote:Why is no one answering my question?
Seems we have no idea.

And:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37383

Maybe try there:
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/index.htm
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
reble

Post by reble »

I finely stumbled on the answer my self. It wasn't a problem of not knowing the save command. it was a conflict. I would be playing the game and get to a point were I am stumped and lets say I can't find the switch to turn an electric barrier off to get at an other part of a room so I saved the game at that point. Used the editor to make a push wall from an other room. But the changes weren't showing up in the game because of the conflect between the saved file I made and the modified floor file. If that makes any sence to everyone. I guss an unknowen bug.
:)

Steve
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If I understand you correctly, you simply want to use the level editor as a cheat engine.

:blah:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
reble

Post by reble »

I am not using the level editor simply as a cheat engine. I also use it as a learning tool. As I make changes in the levels then play the level I learn how the inter workings of the game work. When I understand it good enuff then I will take a wack at makeing some of my owen maps.

steve
Vangar
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

Post by Vangar »

This is not a bug, this would be common if you were modding for most classic games and ROMs.

When the game is saved, the save state takes the information of the map around you and all the variables. You are simply saving the older map variables in your save, and not letting the new information get loaded. If you are actually making maps i would suggest not using save at all and start at the beginning every time, or move around the starting position when needed.