Advice on a system Im throwing together please?

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
organisation64

Advice on a system Im throwing together please?

Post by organisation64 »

Hey all,

I'm 18 and I'm starting to dig up some lost childhood memories in the way of games. They were all DOS games from what I remember so I wanted to build an authentically old system instead of using that DOSBox.

Here are the components I currently have in the system:
- Some old Socket 7 motherboard
- Pentium 120Mhz
- 32Mb SIMM Memory
- Soundblaster 16 (ISA slot)
- Old PCI Graphics Card (unsure of make/model)
- Floppy Drive
- CD-ROM Drive
- PS/2 Mouse
- PS/2 Keyboard (using a pretty retro DIN adaptor)
- Windows 95

It works perfectly. Most of the games run brilliantly with perfect graphics and sound but there are some problems.

In Warcraft (the original), when I use the mouse to scroll around the screen, it scrolls so fast it becomes unplayable even with scroll speed set to the lowest.

And in Theme Park (the 1994 original), the game runs so fast that a year has passed before I even manage to lay a path.

I'm wondering if downgrading to a slower processor might help. I've eyed up a lovely 90Mhz Pentium on eBay. I can't find lower clock speed Pentiums anywhere and changing to an i486 would mean changing a lot of components.

Any ideas please?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Why not install MsDos 6 and use a CPU slowdowner as Mo'Slo?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
organisation64

Post by organisation64 »

dosraider wrote:Why not install MsDos 6 and use a CPU slowdowner as Mo'Slo?
I've thought about that but I can't find MS-DOS 6 anywhere. Do I need to buy it or is it downloadable?

Wouldn't it make more sense to run Mo'Slo in Windows 95?

Would downgrading the processor to a 90Mhz help anyway?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You must buy MsDos, it's still in use, believe it or not.
Of course some very bad warez sites offers it for download.

Mo'Slo is a dos slowdowner, how or even if it works in W95, no idea, never used it on a Win PC.

Downgrading a CPU isn't something I would advise, not if you don't know all the ins and outs of ol'hardware.
What you can try eventually is disable all speed settings in the BIOS.
Cache, bring memory settings down, etcetera .... this usually slows down a system pretty swell.

And make yp your mind, you want Dos or Windows ....?
organisation64 wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to run Mo'Slo in Windows 95?
organisation64 wrote:They were all DOS games from what I remember so I wanted to build an authentically old system instead of using that DOSBox.
organisation64 wrote:- Windows 95
If you want a doscompy get rid of W95, always was a sucker anyway.
If you can't live without windows get W98SE in stead of that crappy and buggy W95.

Also: read your PMs. :)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.