What about German DOS games?

Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the forum or DOSGAMES.com can go here. Please do not post "broken links" reports here, please email them to [email protected].
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

That TOM Productions is also available in English:
http://www.tom-games.de/eng/index.html
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Mr. Worm wrote:That TOM Productions is also available in English:
http://www.tom-games.de/eng/index.html
Yes, but the English page is a bit outdated. The newer additions like the ASCII Game of Robot and the Windows versions of the German-only Game of Robot series are only found on the German site.
Every 3 Seconds a Child Dies because of Extreme Poverty
www.makepovertyhistory.org
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

I really hate to be a spoiler, alas, if I understand this right:
Alle hier präsentierten Inhalte unterliegen dem Urheberrecht und dürfen nicht ohne vorherige, ausdrückliche Zustimmung des Autors verwendet werden.
It is said you need permission to distribute (host.... ?) those games.

Ahem.
Is this right Grandy02? I'm only Dutch/French/Anglaise, what you think?
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

dosraider wrote:I really hate to be a spoiler, alas, if I understand this right:
Alle hier praesentierten Inhalte unterliegen dem Urheberrecht und duerfen nicht ohne vorherige, ausdrueckliche Zustimmung des Autors verwendet werden.
It is said you need permission to distribute (host.... ?) those games.

Ahem.
Is this right Grandy02? I'm only Dutch/French/Anglaise, what you think?
Hum, difficult. Of course everyone has to write on its website that the contents are copyrighted and can't be used by other people without permission. But that disclaimer goes for the whole website and its contents. But the games are not for nothing freeware and shareware, actually you can "use" them in someway if you keep the conditions. The license information of the game PC-Bakterien contains the following:

If I understand right, you can host the shareware version on a website without commercial interests. But maybe I should really ask the makers before...
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

I sent a mail to Andreas Tofahrn (one of the makers), but currently he doesn't have enough time to answer. Please have patience, thanks!

@emmzee: Can you already tell me whether these 3 games are suitable for dosgames.com? :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Me guess is that question will be if emmzee is willingly to host downloaded files from other sites?
Usually it's considered bad behaviour to do such things.

Just a thought.

We also wouldn't like it if other sites simply download our games and host them. (At least without link to the original site, and even then ....)
It's called 'leeching'.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

dosraider wrote:There is no real need to always quote the previous post, it's make the whole topic really messy ~dosraider
Huh? A lot of the games on dosgames.com are also available on other sites. And what makes the difference whether you either downloaded the game from another site or got the game from a CD, the game is still the same and the copyright holder of the game stays the same, too. Nobody can prove that. Or do I understand completely wrong??? :huh:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Grandy02 wrote: Or do I understand completely wrong??? :huh:
Probably, yes.

There is something called 'good manners' and 'fair-play' between AW sites.
We are not on an isolated island.

It would be easy to download everywhere games and host them.
In no time you can have some 3000 games on your site.
And get the whole AW scene allover you also.

I certainly wouldn't want to be associated as mod, or even as member, to a leecher's site.

It's usual to host the games you own yourself. Or have the explecit permission to host them if you down them somewhere else.
Once again: it's not about having as much as possible games on your site, nor grow as fast as possible.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

dosraider wrote:There is something called 'good manners' and 'fair-play' between AW sites.
u down them somewhere else.
Ahem! dosgames.com is not an AbandonWare site.

So one might claim that those good manners don't apply here! :P
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

dosraider wrote: There is something called 'good manners' and 'fair-play' between AW sites.
But the TOM Productions homepage isn't an AW site, it's the makers' site, that only offers their own games. Like 3D Realms (Apogee) and Soleau Software also still offer their old games on their sites.
dosraider wrote: It would be easy to download everywhere games and host them.
In no time you can have some 3000 games on your site.
And get the whole AW scene allover you also.
Yes, but I didn't want to speak about downloading hundreds of games from other sites, only a small number of certain games. That's bad of course if somebody abuses the hard work of other people, but I didn't mean that.
dosraider wrote: It's usual to host the games you own yourself.
I already had the PC-Bakterien! game before I even had Internet. But an older version, of course.
dosraider wrote: Or have the explecit permission to host them if you down them somewhere else.
I hope that I'll get the maker's answer soon. But as I told, that isn't an AW site.
dosraider wrote: Once again: it's not about having as much as possible games on your site, nor grow as fast as possible.
Yes, of course, that's why I only suggest a small number of games. Not so well-known games in particular to save them from being forgotten.

I really don't want to start a conflict with you, dosraider, sorry! :(

The only thing I currently want to know from emmzee is whether the games in question are suitable. Language issues and stuff, you know.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

A small and polite discussion is hardly something I consider as being a conflict. Far from.

As for as adding or not the games, in the end it's the admin's call.
I was just pointing out some facts.
:)

And I must keep ahead Dogbreath's postcount, I can feel his breath in my neck.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Good news: I finally got a response from Andreas Tofahrn, and he gave his okay, feel free to host the games. :)
Andreas Tofahrn wrote:Wenn Du der Meinung bist, die uralten, existierenden DOS-Versionen seien dort gut aufgehoben, dann mach' das einfach.
@emmzee: Can you now tell me whether these games are suitable for dosgames.com? :)
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Of course I know that you all have your private life, but now it's over a week ago I posted in this thread, could you just give me a quick answer (Yes or No)? Thanks! :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

[Personal thoughts.]
It feels kinda weird.
Grandy02, you come here on the forum, register, aren't part of our -(small)- community -(nor take part in any other topic)- and kindly propose in a somekind impatient way to host games. All your posts are in your own topic. :suspicious:

[/Personal thoughts.]

Why so pushy Grandy02?
It's not that those games aren't findable or completely lost.
And believe me, as said before, emmzee and the others have huge PILES of games that can be added.
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

dosraider wrote:Why so pushy Grandy02?
It's not that those games aren't findable or completely lost.
And believe me, as said before, emmzee and the others have huge PILES of games that can be added.
Okay, I'll not make new posts in this topic until there is something new in it. Actually, I didn't want to know when those games could be added, I wanted to know whether at all.

Don't tell me again I wouldn't annoy you, that must be a lie. :laugh:
dosraider wrote:All your posts are in your own topic.
I check the forum more or less continuous for new posts. But I'd only post by myself if I have something to contribute - and if I'm not lazy at the moment. ;)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Grandy02 wrote:Don't tell me again I wouldn't annoy you, that must be a lie. :laugh:
But I will tell you again: you don't annoy me.
More: you even can't annoy me longer than 2 seconds, should your posts annoy me, it's pretty simple: I have a delete button, one click and they're gone ...

Be a bit patient, that's all.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

But it's not his delete button you should be afraid of... it's his Edit button! :devil:
[Edit]
I am a giant poop head ~Larry
:huh:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
CPT Worm

Post by CPT Worm »

I personally think the expansion into more international games would be cool.

But, I'd also like to see an update to the site first. Priorities of work...
Sustinendum Victoriam!
yoeppy

Post by yoeppy »

I believe I'm replying to a pretty old post, but if it's still a topic, I'd like to ask if anybody can help me to the full version of the german game "Das Geheimnis von Foody" :)
I had the game a couple of years ago, through a CD-ROM I got from a company called FunOnline.de, but I've lost the CD :cry:
If anyone could help me on this topic, I'd really appreciate it :)

edit:
I forgot to tell, the game was originally published by Danone, I believe :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Got to love them archive sites ..... :)

The game you're after is listed on the CDTEXTFILES museum.
A quick search and:
http://cd.textfiles.com/cream/cream11/cream11-01/games/
Danone.zip is the one you're after.
CDTEXTFILES.COM's looooooooooooooooooooong listing wrote: DANONE. ³GAME³ Das Geheimnis Von Foody ...