What about German DOS games?

Questions, comments, and suggestions regarding the forum or DOSGAMES.com can go here. Please do not post "broken links" reports here, please email them to [email protected].
Grandy02

What about German DOS games?

Post by Grandy02 »

Hello,

I'm from Germany and I've already discovered your website dosgames.com some years ago, and your effort is really amazing. It is very important that people like you save the - both well-known and not so well-known - classics from being forgotten, my respect! :thumbsup:

Of course I know that the archive isn't complete yet, but I still know a lot of DOS shareware and freeware games from the 1990s (and 1980s) that aren't in. In particular, the games I miss are in German. About 10 years ago (when I was around 8 years old :laugh: ), I got hundreds of shareware and freeware games from some 1990s shareware CDs. You know, that CDs that were thrown in masses on the market in the 1990s and contained hundreds of programs. Well, there are still dozens of games from these CDs that aren't on your site.

The problem is: For many of these games, there is almost no or really no information about them on the Internet. That means that there is also no download for them. But your site states that a download link is needed when suggesting a game. Does that mean you wouldn't upload games which aren't already available on the Internet? That would be bad, because then those games would really become forgotten.

Do you have to ask every game's maker before you upload it? Because in many shareware games, the people wrote their contact addresses and prices for register, but almost all of them are surely outdated today.

And last but not least there is the question what's about non-English games, since the German language. I have seen the Russian-language game Perestroika on your site. Does that mean that you accept non-English games in general?

Of course, there are also games left who aren't that "problematic", but I really would like to save those rare shareware and freeware games for the posterity before they are completely lost. I just want to know what the "conditions" for the games on your site are before I contribute.

So, that's all for know. Please answer, thanks! :)

@emmzee: Yes, I sent this message to you only two days ago, but I think it's better to discuss it here, because then also other people can find information about this topic.
Every 3 Seconds a Child Dies because of Extreme Poverty
www.makepovertyhistory.org
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well, afaik, as long as the game is shareware(and provides a good playing experience), there shouldn't be a problem with having it on DOSGames.com

And a bloody good idea you posted this here, knowing how often emmzee checks his dg.com email
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks for your answer! :)

But I could I get more specific information about certain facts?

What's about the fact that you don't know if the game maker really wants that you upload his/her game (though it's shareware or freeware)?

And do you also accept games that are (almost) unplayable without speaking German? You could make a hint on your site at the specific game's entry.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Hiya, sorry that I haven't responded to your email yet.

Generally speaking any game can be added to the site as long as it is freeware/shareware or otherwise freely distributable. The old "it must be downloadable on the web" thing is really old and not applicable anymore since I host most of the game files myself now.

Re the German language issue, all of the games currently on the site are in English. I haven't included any other-language games so far ... I guess if the game is still fully or essentially playable without knowing German I'll consider it. In the future I may start including non-English games but they would likely be in a separate category entirely.
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Ro@m
<i>Hamachi Guardian</i>

Post by Ro@m »

Ah,willkommen Grandy02!
Ich bitte dich das du einen post in dem "Introduce yourself" thread machst das wir mehr uber ich wissen koenen. :thumbsup:

Concerning the German DOS games,i happen to have 3 or 4 cd's with plenty of German DOS games,maybe it is time to dig it up and see what i can find...
Kazer0 wrote:WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE?
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

@emmzee: Okay, I understand. But how can I send you the games? eMail? Or should I upload them on a site (which one?) and post the download link here?

Anyways, I strongly hope that you'll also host the non-English "unplayable" games some day.
emmzee wrote:I haven't included any other-language games so far ...
You forgot the Russian-language game Perestroika (Toppler). ;)

@Ro@m: Vielen Dank für deinen Willkommensgruß! Ich werde mich morgen vorstellen. :)

Oh, you three are all from different countries - nice to feel international here. ^_^
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Tetris is a Russian game and its on this site! :P
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

*One extra cookie for Grandy02*
:)
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Oh, so now we're(by which I mean you're) in "ROTFLMAO in Belgium", eh? :P
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Now ????
It's been there the last 1 1/2 year or so ......
:huh:

Those electroshocks in the mental institution did you no good, or they were not intense enough, Larry, time for your next series.
:o
When you go in for your next series take Wally with you, he needs them also.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Now, if you'd've said you added "in belgium" in the past months, when I was away, I would have believed you, but 1 1/2 years...

You mister, are a lying liar! :suspicious:
<center>
</center>

Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Okay, I'll search for games in the next time. But these questions still remain unanswered:

If someone complains that his/her game is on your site, who assumes liability? I hope not me! :huh:

The addresses and register information in the shareware games are mostly outdated. We even don't know whether the maker already lives in another country or still sells the full version. What's about that?

And, most important, how should I send the games? Mail or upload on another site (where?) and posting the link here?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

If the games are shareware and you include ALL the files (where to buy the full one, order form, whatever ...), outdated or not, it's legit to host them, aslong it is not explicit asked in a readme or ... whatever.

As for your other questions, how to send them and such, wait t'll emmzee has some time to answer you, but remember he -(as most of us)- sits on a huge pile of ol'games himself. And we all have a private life. (Now yeah almost all, Wally doesn't.)

As you can see in the site updates dosgames.com isn't about adding so much as possible as fast as possible, easy on, small old games, we don't want to get spoiled, do we?
:)
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

Thanks for your answer, now it's clear. Of course I don't want to suggest all the dozens of games at one time, only bit by bit. I've already selected 4 games I want to suggest first. Now I only need an answer from emmzee, but of course I know that you all have a private life. Sorry if I annoyed you. :shame:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Oh don't misunderstand me, you ain't an annoyment, far from even.
I wish we had more members as you.

But not too much, we would be flooded ..... :bday:
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by emmzee »

Grandy02, if the games are small (say less than 200k) you can email them to me, but if you could zip/upload them somewhere that might work better.

There's a whole pile of different file-sharing sites out there, like:

http://www.eatlime.com/
http://www.senduit.com/
http://www.yousendit.com/
etc

(And yes, you're right, I forgot about Perestroika :P)
Owner / Webmaster of DOSGames.com for over 20 years

Download my free ebook: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

Oh wow...is DOS Games going global? That would be pretty awesome.

We could start modding the website into other languages and stuff too.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

But first, a game database!(hint, hint)
<center>
</center>

Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

I agree with the database thing! It is, THE FUTURE!

And there are some easy to use CMI's out there which don't require much coding, if you think it's too much trouble. Most of us would be willing to help. We know this is your pet project, but don't you want it to grow and become even bigger? :)
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
Grandy02

Post by Grandy02 »

So, here I finally suggest the first 3 games. These ones are even on the Internet, but almost unknown in the English-speaking world. They are games by TOM Productions (Germany). Sadly, their most famous games, the Game of Robot series, are available in German only and you need to know this language to play them. However, they also made a number of other nice games both in English and German. Plus the very old "ancient version" of Game of Robot, that is self-explanatory though it contains German text. Here we go:

The Game of Robot - 1986 - Freeware

The precursor of the same-named (in certain regions) successful series of games. Originally made when the name TOM Productions didn't even exist in 1983 for 6502 computer, the game was ported to DOS in 1986. In 2002, the game appeared on TOM Productions' homepage for free download, with a few improvments including slowed-down speed for modern computers and a nice introduction. The intro text is in German only, but that shouldn't matter, it's easy to understand this game by yourself (the rest of the very rare texts is even mostly in English).

It's an ASCII game where you control the hero (the face) through a number of rooms. Your objection is to destroy all robots (the Greek letters) in every room to continue. No, not by shooting, you have to outsmart the robots instead. Lure them into the electric fences (the #) that kill both the robots and you on contact. Various things appear in the rooms, like moveable blocks, teleporters to labyrinths and duplicator stars, just try it out. Also keep in mind that you can change the speed before the game starts (as seen in the upper status bar) and create electric fences around your hero by pressing Return (the "Safes", mentioned in the status bar).

In the last room, you have to collect the gold and carry it into the first room again. Over and over again until you have lost all your lives and can hopefully make your entry in the high score table.

Download: from here (site German only, here's the direct link)

PC-Bakterien! - 1993 - Shareware

In this unusual game, you have to get rid of the evil bacteria and viruses in the microcosm. The character you play is the microbe Mikky. It must inform the Helper cells about the enemies so that they can mark and stop their propagation. The sluggish Feeder Cells eat the marked bacteria. All as it is in the real microcosm.

But Mikky's friends aren't as smart as it. So Mikky has to use different items to lead the cells to the bacterias and viruses. And don't forget the time, you'll lose if there are too many enemies, the fever gets up. It's hard to describe this unusual game, just give it a try and see!

The game features smooth-scrolling VGA graphics with loving attention to detail. Many objects are animated and even every minor object has its own description.

The game is both fully available in English and German.

Download: from here or here

FlipOut - 1994 - Shareware

A colorful ball & paddle game with high-quality graphics. Unlike the most of the other games of this kind, you don't automatically loose the game when the ball falls into abyss. Instead, you have to continue the game on a lower level after that and to reach the higher level again. But if you even fail on the lowest level, the game is finally over. Try to reach the highest level!

Like PC-Bakterien!, you can play this game either in English or German. Just click on the UK or Germany flag to change the language.

Download: from here or here

So, I hope those games are right for dosgames.com. They also made another shareware game called Nicolausi, but since it's a Christmas-themed game, we should reserve it for the December update, I think. Next time, I'll definately suggest games that aren't on the Internet.