Old topic revival standards

If you experience problems or errors with the discussion forum, post here. Problems with individual users should be reported to the mods or the admin.
Interon

Post by Interon »

null
Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johpower
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by johpower »

I like seeing old topics come up and most revives benifit all, unless the whole reason is to revive flames. Then get out the hose.
Sig: "The Universe is change... but it is not exact change." -Fusco Bros.
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

I dont see the problem with revivals, usually something new has come up to be added. Reviving the old topic is better then starting a new one since people can see what was already said.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Here is how it works.

(note that ALL situations are FICTIONAL)
GOOD REVIVAL wrote: Topic: Looking for Keen demo
Posted: September 29, 2000

Kazer0: Hey, I was looking for a demo of Commander Keen 1, anybody know where I can find it?

Posted: February 24, 2004
Wardrich: Hey, you can actually find that link on our site.

What's good about this?

--> Provides sufficiant information that tells the user where he can get the game from. They *could* be nicer and provide an actual URL to the site, but it's good enough.

BAD REVIVAL wrote: Topic: Looking for Keen demo

Kazer0: Hey, I was looking for a demo of Commander Keen 1, anybody know where I can find it?

Wardrich: I hate j00 d00d.... I hope you rot in a can. That is the worst game ever!!! When I is dun kill0rzing j00 im going to kill0rz that game
What's wrong here?

--> Poor grammar
--> Poor spelling
--> Flaming other users
--> Very biased
--> POINTLESS
Also BAD revival wrote: Topic: Looking for Keen demo

Wardrich: I like cheese-whiz.
What's wrong here?

--> NOBODY likes Cheese-whiz
--> This post is irrevelant. Has NOTHING to do w/ da Keenster
--> IRREVELANT

So, as you can see, revivals are acceptable if it is REVELANT and/or USEFUL. If a user *cough*Wally*cough* bashes you for reviving, just ignore them. The only people you should have to ph33r are the MODs, and IMHO, we're pretty reasonable and logical with our actions (unlike some forums *cough*ddrfr<b></b>eak.com

-Richard-
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

wardrich wrote:
If a user *cough*Wally*cough* bashes you for reviving, just ignore them. The only people you should have to ph33r are the MODs, and IMHO, we're pretty reasonable and logical with our actions (unlike some forums *cough*ddrfr<b></b>eak.com

-Richard-
O.o
I learnt my lesson richard I aint a MOD yet at least..

But i see why old topics are being revived now a sake of a persons Gaming needs
Unknown_K
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Unknown_K »

Well Wardrich those samples you mentioned are lame no matter if the topic is new or old. I thaught we were talking about reviving old posts not stupid 3rd graders posting while eating glue.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

We've already made a rule about it (as much as I hate making rules, I figure we need them to avoid topics like these... which get posted anyway) so please just read through it and follow it as you will. And, as I've said so many times, use your common sense. It's not that hard to figure out. Finally, don't be too worried about it-it's not like we'll hang you if you do. Just don't go WFH on us and revive 3 year old shit to say "lol, you are funny." Got it? (Humour me and just say yes)
Interon

Post by Interon »

null
Last edited by Interon on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Sorry if you were confused-he didn't lock it because of you (you were perfectly fine) but because Thunderdog was being an dick and flaming you and Da_Goat didn't want another flame war started. If you had a funny contibution feel free to start a topic about it. ;)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

I was just wondering what people thought about said standards 20-ish years later lmao
Wally

Post by Wally »

:spam: :racing: :karate: :devil: :laugh:
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Wally wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:33 am :spam: :racing: :karate: :devil: :laugh:
This is EXACTLY why you aren't a mod. :laugh:
Wally

Post by Wally »

Instead i'm some glorified Admin. :blah: dosraider would be pissed.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

wardrich wrote: I was just wondering what people thought about said standards 20-ish years later lmao
At this point, old topics are mostly bumped either by users in the Find Old Games section where they legitimately want to find their games (or share their findings), or by spammers/bots that hope to pass as legit users by making (or stealing) normal-looking posts on irrelevant topics that do not require them to know anything about games. The latter are being cleaned up, and I've locked a few of the old topics that tended to attract spammers like this (a.k.a. spambot bait), since there was zero activity on those topics for years anyway.

I believe that exactly because forum activity is now sluggish, it would not be a good idea to introduce any kind of automated limited activity time for topics. It is not rare when someone asks to find a game and then it is eventually found, or someone else shares additional information, and so on, sometimes many years after the original post. After all, Find Old Games is currently the most active part of the forum.

Here's a good recent example with the search spanning several years, but there are other cases when a game was found after an even longer period of time.