Voice Recognition?

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
CityMouse

Voice Recognition?

Post by CityMouse »

Does anyone know any voice recognition software that can work with online gaming? My hands are DYING from typing and gaming, anyone have any suggestions?
Thunderdog
<b>Token Black Guy</b>
<b>Token Black Guy</b>

Post by Thunderdog »

What sort of online games? If you're actually talking about what I think you are, then go for teamspeak. But I'm probably wrong.
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Voice recognition so he doesn't have to type. But not so others hear his quality mic. Don't think it exists, specially not free. You can hope though.
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Post by CPT Worm »

Ventrilo or Skype. It won't type for you, but it will allow you to talk to others.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Or just Xfire if youre just gonna use it while gaming
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Are you thinking of something that'll write text for you in message windows? Or are you thinking about a program that'll execute game commands when you speak them?

I once had a program like that - I used it for complex RTSs Sims, such as Star Trek: Starfleet Command. It made things a lot easier, since there were literally hundreds of commands, and you had to go to special menus to do it. Instead, I'd just wear my mic set and say "raise shields, charge forward bank 1, set weapon group 4, launch sensor decoy shuttle, calibrate phasers half power, set ECW at 4, ECCW at 2..." while at the same time using the keyboard and mouse to actually move my ship and fire my weapons. Made it so I didn't have to pause every frikkin 3 seconds.

I also used it in Freespace 2 to command my squadrons in the middle of battle, request support, and communicate with ships. Saved me quite a few precious seconds of fiddling through countless command menus, so I could concentrate my hands on dogfighting.

Damned if I remember what the program was called, though. It was made by Interplay... that's all I remember.

On the other hand, for pure action games or 3D shooters, such a program would be almost completely useless.
CityMouse

Post by CityMouse »

ok so a friend told me I should try Dragon Naturally Speaking b/c it can write emails, IM's, surf the net, etc. I guess from what he says he uses it to take his recorded lectures and turns them into written notes. However he can't tell me if it works for gaming or not and I don't see anything like that on the website I looked it up on.....anyone have a better idea?
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Dunno but be warned: Voice Recognition(like the ones speak into the microphone, and the text comes up into MS Word for example) requires a FAST computer with loads of RAM. So be careful.

However if it's something small with built-in phrases, it may work on something medium-end like PII and PIII.

Also, again if it's for internet play, be sure you have at least a cable connection because Chatting online whilst playing may end up in LAG!
<center>
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
CityMouse

Post by CityMouse »

oh yeah, I definitely have a fast connection and it says you need 256 of RAM and I have more than that, so I should be ok....I am definitely thinking of getting it, it would be great for schoolwork...I am just not sure if it works for gaming.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Well good luck then :thumbsup:
<center>
</center>

Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

on creating this text using a voice recognition system as suppose it could be used in online gaming but as you can quite possibly she it's not really get at curious and into what gets really hard to getting all the commands to correctly work

to stop dictation

--

As you can see, the thing I downloaded isn't that accurate - or maybe it's just me or my mic, but it could be used for ingame chatting - if you don't mind people thinking you're retared. :P
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .