GOOD BOOKS

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Hiroshi
Expert
Expert

Post by Hiroshi »

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
"If you buy a bag of peanuts in this town they'll write a song about you."
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Found a book in secondhand store : Het Babelvirus, english : Snow Crash.
Autor : Neal Stephenson. Publicized in 1992.
It is about a guy HIRO , pizza courier and also samurai-hacker who start to hunt down a virus-spreader on the WordWideWeb. The virus causes craziness attacks on who's getting infected. Programmers are the first target.
I am half-way now, regarding the year it was written, it is a entertaining book.
He discribes a "metaversum" in a sort virtual reality, 'habitat' complete with avatars , some simularity with a forum , except: there you can get killed.
Anyone know of other books from this guy ? Google just gives me a lot of crap....
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Kandinsky

Post by Kandinsky »

Heartsnatcher, by Boris Vian. Or any other book by Boris Vian, to be honest.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Ditto everything from Edgar Rice Burroughs to Wheel of Time. Recent happy reads: Brandon Sanderson's stuff, and Modesitt's two Imager series.

But my recent happy surprise was being introduced to Vernor Vinge and his Zones of Thought series: "A Fire on the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky". Haven't read "Children of the Sky" yet, but it's on the list.

Oh, and maybe not literature, but I'm working through the PersonalMBA booklist with happy results, too. I dream of my own software company someday, but missed the learning curve in my 20s taking risks without a family. Now try for some info before starting one part-time.
nickherc

Post by nickherc »

I'd liked John Fante books. He's a little known US author who was a great inspiration to Charles Bukowski.
Charles Bukowski, obviously another Great One.
:jester: