Control "jukebox" computer via browser on LAN?

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Control "jukebox" computer via browser on LAN?

Post by Quadko »

I'm having trouble asking google this question and getting a useful answer. Is anyone familiar with this topic or willing to help me with a better search?
B)

I've got a computer in a dusty corner hooked to the game-room speakers, and with all my music on it. It's basically acting like a jukebox - can start/stop playlists on it while playing games or exercising or whatever.

But it's a pain to manage - currently has to be remotedesk/vnc into it, or have to dig up a monitor/keyboard. (First world problems, I know. :D)

What I'd really like is a server I can run on it and control the music via a browser from any laptop/tablet/phone. Basically a jukebox webserver on my internal home network.

Everything I can find wants to stream music to the device I'm on, I can't find one to control the media player hooked up to the room's speakers. I was hoping one of the media players had a server interface like that, or someone had some lan radio/jukebox software. Any ideas?
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I've kept searching, and found hints at old solutions like plugins for Windows Media player, but nothing seems active.

Best I've found so far, but haven't tried yet, is apparently media monkey has a "web interface" MMWI plugin that might work. I'll keep looking or give it a try.
friendsforever
Expert
Expert

Post by friendsforever »

Hi Quadko! Long time no talk. I know you can stream a video remotely using a server that is free. I think I googled that before. However I'm not sure of streaming a remote server other than what you already know to your remote computer. The main idea is to set up 2 computers. 1 is a laptop. The other is your main desktop jukebox player connected to a speaker. I know Creative Sound Blaster has for sale online a speaker system that you can connect to your desktop and control independently the speakers. For instance it comes for 5 speaker. 2 for the front of your room. 2 for the back behind you. and 1 big one for your foot. The wire is long enough to reach. In that case you don't need 2 computers but you can just use the speaker itself. You can increase the volumes of each speaker independently from your desktop.