Best Games Series - Rare 90s PC Strategy Guides

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Best Games Series - Rare 90s PC Strategy Guides

Post by Aldeb »

This is a strategy guide book series from the mid 90s, created by computer games strategy plus.

There are four books in the series, and I have 3 of them in almost brand new condition. :laugh: They're not half bad if you want to get into old gaming, as I currently do

these include:
The Best Strategy and War Games
The Best Simulation Games
The Best Role-Playing and Adventure Games
The Best Action and Arcade Games

These books also came with a CD in the back containing demos, levels, trailers and whatnot. I have two of these CD.

I've got a proposal for those who own these CDs

let's upload them on archive.org! This can be done by creating a virtual disc of the CD (provided the CD isn't too heavily damaged). If this interests you then please reply here. If these books sparked your interest and would like to buy them, then they should also come with the CDs

So far I have two such CDs - the one from Simulations and the Role-playing one. Thank you.

Last edited by Aldeb on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Certified 16-bit Troll
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Cool idea! And good luck with the project. I can't fill out the missing CDs, but I'd encourage you to go for it with what you've got! At some point I think converting books like this to PDF or other web format will be a good idea, though I'm not sure if the time is right yet and I know such conversion is a hassle.
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Indeed scanning old gaming books like these would be great. Just that the process can really bend and damage a perfectly good book - the best quality scans involve hacking the book into pieces to scan each individual page. So the more rare a book is, the less likely it is to be scanned. I live outside the US, so getting a hold of these books was quite a challenge... and the shipping costs were murder

It's a slim chance, but i'm hoping s someone who has these CDs might be up to creating an ISO for a possible upload. :laugh:
Certified 16-bit Troll
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Now that's a nice bit of nostalgia!

I assume you have posted your request in forums specifically dedicated to old gaming magazines and their accompanying cover disks?
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

Post by Aldeb »

Hmmm... no, I haven't posted this anywhere else. I barely know any good retro PC forums :shame:
Certified 16-bit Troll
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, you could start with this place, but also I remember some very specific old gaming magazine website (with a forum) which I cannot recall right now. Maybe it's listed here.