Clarification Of Rules

Anything else unrelated to gaming can go here.
Frodo
One ring to rule them all...

Clarification Of Rules

Post by Frodo »

As the title says, I would like some clarification of the rules please. Especially with regards to freeware.

When posting, we're not allowed to link to abandonware sites. And that's fine, since abandonware is illegal. And the rules state that:
a. Do not ask for copies of full games that have yet to be released as freeware (“Abandonware” or “Warez”), unless you are interested in legally buying said games. Likewise, do not post any links to any website hosting Abandonware or Warez downloads.
That clearly states that we're not allowed to post any links to abandonware sites. However, nowhere does it mention about linking to FREEWARE sites. Freeware is different from abandonware, and it is fully legal.

Now I've been told in a post that linking to freeware sites is also forbidden. I don't understand why - as said before, freeware is not abandonware, it's not warez, it's not illegal.

So if freeware is also forbidden, can it be added to the rules please? I asked about this already, and was told to post here.
Please click on my dragons, to help them grow - Image Image Image
CPT Worm
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>
<font color=gold>American Hero</font>

Re: Clarification Of Rules

Post by CPT Worm »

Frodo wrote:As the title says, I would like some clarification of the rules please. Especially with regards to freeware.

When posting, we're not allowed to link to abandonware sites. And that's fine, since abandonware is illegal. And the rules state that:
a. Do not ask for copies of full games that have yet to be released as freeware (“Abandonware” or “Warez”), unless you are interested in legally buying said games. Likewise, do not post any links to any website hosting Abandonware or Warez downloads.
That clearly states that we're not allowed to post any links to abandonware sites. However, nowhere does it mention about linking to FREEWARE sites. Freeware is different from abandonware, and it is fully legal.

Now I've been told in a post that linking to freeware sites is also forbidden. I don't understand why - as said before, freeware is not abandonware, it's not warez, it's not illegal.

So if freeware is also forbidden, can it be added to the rules please? I asked about this already, and was told to post here.
Since the link has been edited out, I'm not sure what sort of website you linked to. However, if dosgamer edited it out, he probably had some sort of concern.

It may not have had any illicit software, but if the URL was "off," it might raise a red flag. We have to make sure we're not linking to things that are illegal, or more importantly, some website that is going to download some spyware onto your computer.

But if you do have concerns, it should be address in private messages.
Sustinendum Victoriam!
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

It was a freeware site. Nothing illegal about it.

I tried talking to dosraider, but he doesn't want to be bothered. He told me to post here.

But my main point is, if freeware is also forbidden, shouldn't the rules say that?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Frodo wrote:It was a freeware site. Nothing illegal about it.
As told you by PM:
I don't intend to investigate every link posted to other sites, claiming to be legit or not, I have better things to do with my time.
[Edit]
Also:
Frodo wrote: I *THOUGHT* that game was on this site originally, but I can't find it there now.
http://www...... :blah:
If we have to investigate every linked site where members 'think' they found a game, we gonna have a lot of links to investigate.
Better things to do with my time.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

And as I told you, it doesn't take any longer to spend 2 seconds to see that it was freeware, than it does to edit a post, delete a link and type out that you deleted said link.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, I just want the rules to actually show what is forbidden.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Frodo wrote:I'm not trying to start a fight here,
And yet you are....
Frodo wrote:I just want the rules to actually show what is forbidden.
As already told you: that would be a long list, you have what's allowed to link to in the rules.
I won't tell you how to run AB reloaded's forum, please don't tell me how to run DGF.
Links to unknown sites are always prone to be deleted on sight.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

A simple 'Links to freeware sites are also forbidden' isn't very long :blah:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

*yawn*