Collecting level editors for games

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

Since the beginning of time when games were made, there had been level editors. Some built into games itself while others specifically designed to modify particular games.

How fond are you in collecting level editors for games? Why do you like using level editors? Is there any special feature in your level editor or what does it allow you to create that in the normal game you would not find? Share your experiences. :)

For which games have you collected or tried the levels editors?

For myself, I have always like level editors for games almost as much as I like the games themselves. Level editors allow someone to create levels base on their creativity and is usually quite easy to use as most of them are "what you see is what you get" drag and drop interface. There were some game that I finished the entire game and like the game so much that I started creating my own levels. One thing good about level editors is that there is no need for programming knowledge and saves the time unlike creating a game from scratch using a game creator. It allows one to enjoy more about their favourite game and allows people to exchange levels they have create.

Till date the following games are those that I have collected level editors:
-Lemmings (puzzle game)
-Prince of Persia (platform swordfighting game)
-Zeek the Geek (puzzle game)
-Cosmic Cosmo (platform game)
-Chips Challenge (puzzle game)
-Brix Deluxe (Puzzle game)
-Puzznic (Puzzle Game)
-Worm Editor (snake clone)
-Loderunner (arcade game)
-Loderunner: The Legend Returns (arcade game)
-Gadget and Gold (loderunner clone)
-Wolfenstein 3D (shooting game)
-Kye (puzzle game)
-Wormworld (puzzle game)
-Dark Forces (Star Wars shooting game)
-Incredible Machine series (puzzle game)
-Bust-a-move 2 to 4 (puzzle game)
-Shuffle Block (Bloxxle clone, puzzle game)
-Mario Dash (platform game, game made to enter "one button" competition)
-DX Ball (breakout clone)
-Block Breaker (breakout clone)
-Zep's Dreamland (puzzle game)
(I'll edit this post if I can remember some more)

Share your experiences using level editors
GameMaster.EXE
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by GameMaster.EXE »

I used Roomshaker, a POP level editor, but you know that. Lately I've been having thoughts about dumping roomshaker for PV3, another POP editor that looks more promising and easier to use. If it's any better than roomshaker, I'll include a link.
Frenkel
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Frenkel »

I wrote a level editor for the puzzle game Chagunitzu, it's the prequel of Apogee's Paganitzu. B)
Groeten van Frenkel
Visit us at the Official S&F Prod. Homepage
Drachenbauer

Post by Drachenbauer »

Hello

Is there any place, where i can download the Zeek the Geek level-editor (Zeek the Geek designer)?
It´s in the collection of the thread-starter.

And i also want to know, if there is any where a download for Zeek 2, that needs no installation?
I already have downloads with installation-programs, but they don´t work on my Dosbox with windows 3.1
So i´m looking for a zipped file, that holds the actual game exe and not a install.exe file.

for part one i found one.
JKSM
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by JKSM »

Zeek 2 installation file simply unzips all the files into 1 folder and creates a shortcut on your start menu.

The files in the folder can be used on another computer.

This is a windows game. It needs Windows 32-bit and does not work with Windows 64-bit.

I have pm you the details.

The creator put Zeek the Geek 2 (that was previously sold) on geocities (free online website) for free download before it closed down. For Zeek 1, the freeware game is more commonly distributed.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

There's a level editor for Warcraft: Orcs & Humans but I wasn't able to run it in Wine.

I've found a number of user-made levels for the game recently.
carlosm

Post by carlosm »

Hello. I'm really curious to have the Zeek The Geek Editor. Please someone can help me?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Somewhere I have a level/mission editor for X-Wing, got it from someone else who made it for fun I think.