Macrotune - Music Macro Language Editor

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Macrotune - Music Macro Language Editor

Post by Chilly Willy »

A friend and I just released our own MML editor for OS X and Windows. If you like creating "retro" style music for games or just for fun, grab a copy. It's free! ;)

Requires SSE. That's any Pentium III and AMD Athlon XP or better.

http://www.posemotion.com/download/Macr ... versal.zip

http://www.posemotion.com/download/Macr ... _32bit.zip
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

For what it is worth, thank you.

I really do not check out too many stuffs.

However, there are times I look back and find a gem or two.

You might be a lucky one hehe
God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
RetroDosGames

Post by RetroDosGames »

Thank you a lot, chilly! :clap:

How i can reward you? :upset:
DOS games are cool!
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

RetroDosGames wrote:Thank you a lot, chilly! :clap:

How i can reward you? :upset:
Just enjoy the app. ;)
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Macrotune was updated to v1.0.1 !

GUI enhancements and adjustments.
Full screen mode for OS X Lion or better.
Minimum resolution 1024x768.

Same download links as above.

Enjoy! ;)
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Thanks! I originally meant to check this out, but it fell off my radar. Thanks for the ping and the update, looking forward to trying it out along with other creators on this site's latest works. :D
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

You're welcome! ;)
Creativity is at its best when there's limitations.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Updated to v1.1.0

What's new...
  1. Share your tunes/songs via the internet, such as forums or email, using "Copy MML" and "Paste MML".
  2. Playback and recording timer.
  3. Play only a selected part of a verse. Good for listening to small edits you made to your tune/song.
  4. Recording to a wave file now automatically stops at the end of a repeated tune/song. It will auto stop when all the repeat tags for each verse end at the same time.
  5. Replace invalid characters with a question mark in the channel editors.
  6. Updated the icon, help file and PSG Module code.
Same download links as listed in the first post. Enjoy! ;)
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

Updated to v1.1.1

What's new...
  1. Error checking for “Paste MML”.
  2. Added website/support links to the “Help” menu.
  3. Updated the help file.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

This is an interesting project, but the format seems so foreign. What exactly is happening here? haha. It feels and sounds like an alienated version of MOD.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

wardrich wrote:This is an interesting project, but the format seems so foreign. What exactly is happening here? haha. It feels and sounds like an alienated version of MOD.
I'm not sure what you mean by "format"? Also, I don't know what "MOD" is?
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Chilly Willy wrote:
wardrich wrote:This is an interesting project, but the format seems so foreign. What exactly is happening here? haha. It feels and sounds like an alienated version of MOD.
I'm not sure what you mean by "format"? Also, I don't know what "MOD" is?
By "Format" I mean just the overall layout of the program. I'm used to looking at trackers, which is what it used to create MOD tracks.

<a href="http://milkytracker.org/">Milky Tracker</a> is probably the most popular one for Windows these days. Here are some examples of MOD. It's generally what's used to make chiptunes and cracktro tunes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSv3y98eP_8">Example 1: Starfighter (Milky Tracker)</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtUVC11ba4g">Example 2: Acidjazzed Evening (OctaMED [Amiga])</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCl9xYSOVtM">Satellite One (FastTracker)</a>

As you can see, though the programs are different, their layouts are all quite similar. MOD/XM is similar to MIDI, but the sounds are stored along with the song, so the tunes will sound the same regardless of the system they're played on (for the most part) unlike MIDI which relies on the soundcard's specific MIDI bank.
Chilly Willy
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Chilly Willy »

I wanted something different than a tracker, so I came up with Macrotune's layout/gui. There's already enough trackers style editors, as you have pointed out. No need to create another.

There is a help file but basically you write verses on their own lines per channel. The verses can then be combined with the pattern editor. The MML data can be shared through forums or email via "Copy MML" and "Paste MML". You can also export to a wave file (16 bit 44100 mono). If you're a software developer, you can use the MML data in PureBasic or use the libraries that are available on my website with any other programming languages. Plus you can save your project as a MMLP (Music Macro Language Project) file.

The sound (waveforms) is mathematically created. It will sound the same in both versions (Windows & OS X) of Macrotune, plus the available libraries. Now if you use the MML data in another Music Macro Language editor other then Macrotune, it may sound different. Macrotune does offer two complex waveforms and the waveforms may not be the same in another MML editor. So there will be issues copying the MML data from Macrotune and trying to use it in another editor other than Macrotune.

This is a fun and interesting project for my friend and myself. We both enjoy "retro" music from the earlier pc days. So we just decided to share it with others. Plus being able to share your songs/tunes via the copy and paste, makes this app more enjoyable for a team, friends or a large community/forum.

I hope that answers your questions. ;)