Borland C++ 2.0

Discuss popular GCS tools like ZZT, Megazeux and Adventure Game Studio, as well as programming and other topics related to game design.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: God, Great Googly Moogly, is number one!hehe

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:Great Googly Moogly!hehe

Imagine playing QuakeOne and having to wait 5 seconds per walk...
I'm not sure if it gets this slow, but if you try running Quake in DOSBox in high resolution, the frame rate drops quite noticeably. I think there's even a built-in feature that will display an icon in the corner of the screen with a turtle on it if the game runs at a low frame rate :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

God, Jesus Christ, is number one!hehe

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

I remember QuakeOne getting pretty slow at high resolution however I do not remember how slow so my guess is just that, a guess.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Then please bless my mom.
Honour to my mom Huong Thi Vu
Honour to my dad Thuy Binh Nguyen
Love to cousin Carl Anh Cuong Cao Vu
Thank you Jesus Christ.
pseudocoder
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pseudocoder »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:Great Googly Moogly!hehe

C can do the exact same thing in about 5 seconds. You may think 5 seconds is a short time however when you are rotating between screens waiting 5 seconds per rotation is an annoyance?
do you mean fill the screen? assuming mode 13

Code: Select all

unsigned char *video = (unsigned char *)0xA0000000L;

memset(video, 15, 320 * 200);
I don't know what the elapsed time is, but it's not 5 seconds. :P
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

haha You are were always very talented pseudocoder. I never forgot you are the one who sent me those very ordered and structured file operating routines in C.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Thank you Jesus all is going goodest so far!

My allowance for work and study has been approved and verified at last.

So I was able to purchase 3 items from eBay.

(1) A rosary

(2) MS-DOS

(3) Borland C++ 2.0 bundle

Now I just have to wait for the seller to ship out my orders hehe

Thank you Jesus that all goes my way from now on#!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I figure I save some money and pocket $20 each week or so if I do it myself.
Yes, opportunity costs! Sometimes time is more precious, sometimes money. Just take it as it comes! I both love and hate having a yard - land! but mowing! And watering, and leaves, and... :P The joys of home ownership.
pseudocoder
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pseudocoder »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:You are were always very talented pseudocoder. I never forgot you are the one who sent me those very ordered and structured file operating routines in C.
I'm not a programmer, but like to dabble once in a while. Playing around with coding of the dos games is fun. I like your asm stuff; even though I don't understand it all, I appreciate the way you keep posting your updates. :) BTW, tasm 3.1, the assembler bundled with the Borland I use, works fine with your source... though I prefer M$' compilers.

No worries with the file stuff; if it helped in any way, then you are most welcome.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Thank you for letting me know. I am grateful for your kind words. Just between you and me, I wish I was as good coding file operations. That one file operation I still have it backed up on over 8 DVDs haha So yes I needed the lesson to refer back to. I wish I was a one person show then I would not have to worry about competition and such haha However, I am glad to share the work. I was homeless once so I wouldn't want anyone to be out of work. It is not some place you want to be. Sleeping on the pavement where the cars parked on the church parking lot. Sleeping on the sidewalk and such. Those are dangerous times. Thank you Jesus when I called my mother she sent me a ticket home on a GreyHound bus. It took me 4 days to go from California all the way home.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

MASM

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

@pseudocoder:

Since you prefer MASM stuffs, here is a link on eBay; be careful - it is only another day before the auction ends. Hope it is something useful?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-MASM- ... 2c960b4c58
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, my MS-DOS 6.22 came today and that is a nice surprise. I found out VirtualBox is not as good with speed stability as the original MS-DOS on a real old computer.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Congratulations on obtaining a copy of the "real deal" MS-DOS! You're quite determined to have all the stuff you use top notch. This is great :)

As for Virtual Box, I think you can try other virtualisation/emulation suites like Bochs or QEMU.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Thank you Jesus for that suggestion.

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus!hehe Maybe that works better than VirtualBox? Either way I am happy with the COA (Certificate Of Authenticity). I hoped to have the old computer so I could be fully MS-DOS compliant; However, funds are limited right now. So I will have to develop under DOSBox 0.74 until I get the funds to get the real system.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Thank you Jesus for your kind advice. I tried out Bochs and that was a nice novelty. It actually simulated the speed close to DOSBox 0.74 3000 cycles.

As a related note, try Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, which can run MS-DOS natively. However I have found the speed to be 3 times what DOSBox 0.74 is.

I know that according to each system, MS-DOS runs a little faster or a little slower. For instance, there MS-DOS is designed for 5 mhz. I believe DOSBox goes 8 mhz.

Back in the days, an older Pentium 386 would run like 33 mhz. haha So actually the computers back in the days ran MS-DOS softwares faster than what was intended.

In fact, MS-DOS stands for Microsoft Disk Operating System; So it was not supposed to play any games at that the time of conception? It was meant primarily for work - I think.

Well, surveying the MS-DOS manual seems to be all business.

Thank you Jesus for these classic gems!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:In fact, MS-DOS stands for Microsoft Disk Operating System; So it was not supposed to play any games at that the time of conception? It was meant primarily for work - I think.
Well, Wikipedia says the first MS-DOS release was in August 1981.

A very quick Google search suggests that the first DOS game could have been DONKEY.BAS (found this information here). It was actually shipped as a part of PC DOS, and also released somewhere in 1981.

Another, even more intriguing fact is that Bill Gates was actually one of the co-authors of DONKEY.BAS :) So he might actually be the first DOS game developer (along with his co-author, Neil Konzen).

BTW, here's a gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymzTlqi1SY

The game shares some similarity with your Road Race! Cool ^_^
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Jesus!hehe I have to admit I took Bill Gates Donkey Game idea and made my own. However I think his is a better game. His is simple and to the point. Mine just added extras. Just my two cents.

Most of my games are not original. It is a remake. I think so many games have been done that to make an original that is successful would be a miracle.

For me, it is work that I enjoy. The only stress I have is coming up with next things within my skill level that I can do that brings in enough income to support my family.

Other stresses are making sure my developer products gets shipped and come on time and such.

However I love being the developer. It might not be as talented as my father who flew a helicopter and studied engineering. And it might not be as delicious tasting as my mother's home made Vietnamese cooking. Nor is it as healing as my brother's help in the heart transplant Emergency Room. But, inspite of all my grammar mistakes and spelling errors, I love programming#!

The Holy Bible says God gave each person a special gift#!! So each person grows up and is talented in a unique way!!
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
pseudocoder
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pseudocoder »

tienkhoanguyen wrote:@pseudocoder:

Since you prefer MASM stuffs, here is a link on eBay; be careful - it is only another day before the auction ends. Hope it is something useful?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-MASM- ... 2c960b4c58
Thanks for the link - I appreciate the thought; actually, I like the M$ programming stuff because it's free. MASM is included in the DDKs, and at one time, the 16 bit linker could be found on its ftp site.

If you have a copy of either Win 95 or 98, you could use the dos underlay as a stand alone dos; with 98 SE, at least, you'd get long file name support, a generic "dos" usb driver, and fat 32. dos 6.22 is limited to 2 gb partitions. If you're interested, M$ released the source code to DOS 1.1, 2.0, and WinWord, I think it was. The early DOS was mostly asm. License Page
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Thank you Jesus for the reference#!! Well, I personally prefer Borland tools since it is private school stuffs. I went to both private and public schools and the private schools are more stuffy hehe. In my humble experience private school prepared me to be more successful educationally. However public school prepared me to be more free-thinking. Coming from both backgrounds public and private I prefer the public for the freedom while the private for the priviledge of being on the cutting edge of my education.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
pseudocoder
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by pseudocoder »

I only knew the public school life, and couldn't get out of it fast enough. I admire your devotion and perseverance with the programming; it really shows a lot character - you should be proud of your accomplishment. Perhaps a testament to the quality of private schooling?

Borland is okay; I was given a complete suit of its application frameworks version 3.1 back in the mid 90s. My programming level then (as it is now) was abysmal... I got easily frustrated and simply gave up. I have a little more patience now, but find the dos environment very difficult after being spoiled with Windows for so long. :P

Keep up the great work Tien... :)
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Jesus Christ!hehe

Well, pseudocoder, I am a bit too pre-occupied for today. The package should be here soon. So my nerves should be good enough "IF" I get the package. If I get my Borland C++ 2.0 bundle intact and factory wrapped and all then I can start developing again. However you know what they say "If it is your's then it comes to you on a pure gold package hehe (so to speak)." Well, give me some extra time I have a couple new ideas for the next release. It should not be too hard. I am just too anxious and worried right now so my energy is all consumed in making sure this package gets to me in one piece. The package contains my Borland developer suite that I need for everything. I have half the original package and that is Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1. I have the speed however not the flexibility that my father would have wanted while he was with me. Once I get the Borland C++ 2.0 then I would have the best of both worlds. Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 is strict like my mother giving you no-leeway. Borland C++ 2.0 is flexible like my father giving me three waivers before spanking me for breaking the law. Borland is kind to give away their "preview" version which is Borland Turbo C 2.01 however I do not have the textbook that comes with it. It is only the software. So I am horrible with Borland Turbo C 2.01 right now as you can see from my neglected disk operations hehe Once Borland C++ 2.0 bundle arrives hopefully with the entire textbooks and manuals I can be a PRO on Borland C++ 2.0 too.

Thank you Jesus it is shipped out today according to the tractional history via express mail so it should be here within a couple days#! Thank you God even though I am only human I am saved from losing my money and stuffs haha (wishful thinking for my life).
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

Borland C++ 2.0 books and registration card came in.

Post by tienkhoanguyen »

Today, I received my developer package. It is like a degree haha

Only serious developers have it.
Jesus Christ!hehe
Bless Jesus Christ!
Thank you Jesus Christ.