EGA Trek (WARNING: This will make the game extremely easy)

Ask for help with playing games, or post your own tips and strategies.
smjg

Post by smjg »

When you move to a new quad, the positions of objects in the quad are re-randomised. I guess the idea is that the warp engines can't be used to navigate with precision, and so the reshuffling is a way of making you need the impulse engines to get the needed precision to position yourself next to a base or planet, or to get the best line of fire on an enemy ship.

However, in the end a mistake was made whereby the damage-checking code looks at whether the quadrant has been specified, instead of whether the player is actually moving between quads. Only after the damage check has been done, whether to warp or impulse is determined by whether the destination is in the same quad.

You can see the converse of the bug by setting a warp speed that is too high because the warp engines are damaged, and then attempting an intra-quad move. Only if you specified the quad does the move fail.
RareElusiveGrif

Computer Damaged; Manual Only

Post by RareElusiveGrif »

Does anyone know how to use the manual coordinates DeltaX and DeltaY? I've never been able to figure it out. Doesn't seem to correspond to the grids at all. At least not the traditional way you would think of x and y axis'. It's pretty frustrating when your computer gets damaged and you find out a Starbase is in trouble and you can't get there to help. :(
BlackMantis

Post by BlackMantis »

I figured it out once but then forgot how. If I have time I'll see about doing a little experimentation to work it out again. I know there's a way to input manual coordinates even if the computer is working, but I don't remember exactly how to do that either.
smjg

Re: Computer Damaged; Manual Only

Post by smjg »

RareElusiveGrif wrote:Does anyone know how to use the manual coordinates DeltaX and DeltaY? I've never been able to figure it out. Doesn't seem to correspond to the grids at all. At least not the traditional way you would think of x and y axis'. It's pretty frustrating when your computer gets damaged and you find out a Starbase is in trouble and you can't get there to help. :(
You just have to remember two things:
  • X and Y are the wrong way round (I don't know whether this is a deliberate design)
  • the number is in octal - so 1.4 means 1 quad + 4 sectors in the given direction
RareElusiveGrif

Thank you!

Post by RareElusiveGrif »

Awesome, thanks! I've been wonderin' that for probably 17 years! I figured it must be something used in some field of expertise I am not familiar with. I must admit I would not have known what octal meant (still not sure I do) if you had not explained.
smjg

Post by smjg »

BlackMantis wrote:I figured it out once but then forgot how. If I have time I'll see about doing a little experimentation to work it out again. I know there's a way to input manual coordinates even if the computer is working, but I don't remember exactly how to do that either.
Hit F4 a second time.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

The main viewer block comes up with "pretty pictures" labeled things like Array Monitor, Subspace Com Net, Grav Field, and some pretty ship status screens, all with pictures. Do these ever show real data like the damage summary screen, or are they just there to be pretty and inhance atmosphere?

And I just discovered I've been play v1.0 for years, and there's several v2.xs and a v3. I wondered what all this Mongol chatter was, but happy surprise! Now I know. :)

I asked because I was fiddling around today taking screenshots and writing some HTML5/Javascript to see what could be done and practice my "Single Page Web Applications" book lessons. It certainly isn't a remake in a day, and the code is all but nonexistent, but as a screenshot and homage site with potential promise for future, I was pretty proud with what I accomplished:
http://www.joelmcintyre.com/egatrek/egatrek.html

But I'm hoping some of you might be interested in telling me how the more esoteric parts of the game are supposed to work? Though I'm working with version 1, on easy, so it looks simple so far. I assume I'm missing lots. :)
smjg

Post by smjg »

I discovered something else just now. Even when the SR scanner is damaged to 0%, you still get the scanner reports when a Mongol moves!
smjg

Post by smjg »

In my time I've found three things that you can score points for rescuing:
  • a federation base
  • a Union ship
  • settlers from a planet
It appears that it counts only if whatever it is has sent out a distress call. At least for bases - I don't know about the others. Is my inkling correct?