Legends of Murder: Stonedale - Pass?

Ask for help with playing games, or post your own tips and strategies.
Ru_pacca

Post by Ru_pacca »

Quarantine has me going thru old games. I loved this game when I was a kid, even though i was terrible at it and did not understand half the words. I found it through some dedicated searching and I was excited to play it as an adult but I am so stuck it isn't funny. And of course this game has basically NO internet presence (so no walkthrus etc). Literally one of the only two posts about it was someone looking for it on this forum, so I'm hoping someone in this forum can help!

I am unable to find the pass for the left hand side of the castle. I have gotten thru the dragon to the wizard, and I have gotten past the skeleton to the catacombs. I have done everything i can on the right side of the map, but I cannot find the pass to go on the left side. The only time i have at present is the ring from the wizard's "pet". I am about to lose my mind spamming "search" pixel by pixel!

ANY assistance in finding my way through this would be so so helpful!
bard82

Post by bard82 »

How did you get passed the dragon? I got the riddle "in a to e" but have zero clue on what it means. I tried every a to e combination.
Redacted

Post by Redacted »

I also picked this up again during quarantine and am going nuts, but I can help you both.

For the pass, when you go up the stairs to the wizard, you need to face the blue window (?) on the right and search. The pass is in the middle of that line.

A to E is in order... here's how I did this, having figured out the cipher. Write the standard alphabet from A to Z. Underneath each letter, place the corresponding letter from the code. If you do this correctly and read the coded letters from A to E, they will spell out a word that makes a lot of sense when dealing with dragons.

If you guys see this, I have no idea how you got that ring, and in the catacombs I can't seem to get anything to happen with the two coffins all the way on the left.

I also am stumped as to the second password needed on the left side of the castle.

Good luck.
Llywelyn

Post by Llywelyn »

bard82 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:10 pmHow did you get pas[t] the dragon? I got the riddle "in a to e" but have zero clue on what it means. I tried every a to e combination.
If Redacted wasn't clear enough above, the problem here is that the Jester's message isn't "in a to e". It's "the name found within this code in a to e". Jamie Schmalz (now James Schmalz) assumed people would be figuring out the code on paper and would just do the alphabet all at once. If you're looking at it that way, the dragon's name will jump off the paper at you since it's just the first five letters in order.

Obviously, that's not how most people will handle cryptograms now. They'll just google "Wd mbtt wxe zubsdf, tmbf wxe fbve ndyfz icwxcf wxct adze cf b wd e bfz efweu wxe vbse't axbvleut" and see what's out there. In any case, if you just write down that plus the solution, there will only be one letter left for you to guess.
Redacted wrote: If you guys see this, I have no idea how you got that ring, and in the catacombs I can't seem to get anything to happen with the two coffins all the way on the left.

I also am stumped as to the second password needed on the left side of the castle.
I don't get any response from the 2 leftmost coffins either. It's possible that you need to search them from a diagonal position, which can be a pain on laptop keyboards that don't have a number pad on the right.

You'll get the ring pretty easily after you get through the checkpoint you were stuck at. You missed a conversation somewhere but (in keeping with the Basilisk password on the right) the password on the left is Cockatrice. (I'd add links to the Wikipedia entries but the forum has that disabled at the moment. Anyway, they're similar monsters.)

On the other hand, once you get to the left side, the northwest is still blocked off in two places. For the dungeon, you need a key. I assume it's somewhere in the other part of the NW although it might be a pixel that I missed somewhere else. For that other part, though, it says
Legends of Murder I wrote:On the door before you is a line of ten stone keys. They are labeled from 0 to 9. Below the keys a note reads ENTER IDENTIFICATION CODE.
I assume that the answer to this will be the number 443 mentioned in the king's chambers but for this answer field (and only this answer field) my keyboard's number keys produce the ASCII characters pilcrow+pilcrow+doublebang. (And this forum won't let me type them at all :laugh: ) I popped open my laptop's on screen keyboard to get to the number pad, still nonsense. I tried doing the alt codes for the number characters (that was a new one and inexplicably involves the FN key now for some reason), still nonsense.

Any way around that?
Llywelyn

Post by Llywelyn »

I still can't post links but apparently the dingbats the game is creating are the ones from "Code Page 437". For this field (and only this field) it's repeating rows 0 and 1 across rows 2 and 3. ALT+FN+1 (Code Point 01) produces the squished ASCII smiley. ALT+FN+33 (Code Point 021) also produces it. The number pad's numbers have a different keycode than the number row's numbers but both map onto those code points and produce the same symbols instead of the number. Any idea what's happening or how to get around it? or is this code somehow nonnumeric anyway?
Llywelyn

Post by Llywelyn »

Ok, for some reason they don't show up high enough in Google's results but there is a full playthrough of this game on Youtube. The channel is AlphaStarDX and the series is titled "AlphaPlays: Legends of Murder". They ran into exactly the same ASCII bug and the "solution" they found was just to completely restart with the 1993 version of the game. Is the 1989 version entirely unplayable? Oof. Poor players.

In any case, the code *is* 443 and the key for the other path *is* hidden in the NW area blocked off by the code, so for now there's nothing else but to replay the game or wait for someone to patch the buggy code.