Inner World won't even begin to run in Dosbox or anything

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Lord Douglias

Inner World won't even begin to run in Dosbox or anything

Post by Lord Douglias »

When you download you get only one file called IW-reg.exe. When you double click it won't do anything in windows and if you type it in Dosbox it crashes Dosbox???Help! :o
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

DOSBOX-WIKI wrote: works with 0.65 (2006-03-31 18:32) dragonmaster
core must be set to normal, dynamic doesnt work sb16 works .....//

Broken with 0.70 (2007-03-25 17:51) Romero
IW.EXE (the main game) and SETUP.EXE both give "Illegal read from xxxx CS:IP 18:xxxx" errors and neither of them work. Worked great under 0.65.
Works indeed in version 0.65 of dosbox, not in 0.70 apparently. Download 0.65 from :
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=52551
(scroll a bit down)
Simply install it , it installs in an other folder/start menu than 0.70 , so no worries there.

Other possibilities:
VPC2004 + W98SE
VPC2004 + MSDos 6.22.
( tested on my PC, IW works fine on both.)
Lord Douglias

Inner Worlds

Post by Lord Douglias »

Regarding running Inner Worlds, I installed Dosbox 0.65 as you suggested in lieu of Dosbox 7.0...IT WORKS! THANKS... B)

Now I am trying to get it to run less choopy? The the heroine likes to run in one direction or the other and not stop when you hit the arrow key in the other direction...Any ideas? :shifty:

Also why won't Dosbox 0.65 save my "Mount C" configuration. I have to type it every time?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: Inner Worlds

Post by dosraider »

Lord Douglias wrote:Now I am trying to get it to run less choopy? The the heroine likes to run in one direction or the other and not stop when you hit the arrow key in the other direction...Any ideas? :shifty:
CTRL+F12 to increase the CPUCycles , ALT+ENTER to get it fullscreen , and kill all that's running on the background and isn't needed.
On my PC I need some 10.000 CPUCycles to run it smoothly, can be more or less on yours.
Remember: If you increase the CPUCycles too high you will get worst result , the game will stutter even more. You can find all the info on the dosbox site, so I won't repeat the whole thing again here.
Lord Douglias wrote:Also why won't Dosbox 0.65 save my "Mount C" configuration. I have to type it every time?
You're doing something wrong ( yes, really , you screw something up here).
Try to hit dosbox.conf in your 0.65 startmenu-items , add the neccesary lines under [AUTOEXEC] and save. Done.
Moo
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Moo »

Please post all future problems with running a game in the "Get Games to Work" section. Thank you.
Lord Douglias

Inner Worlds

Post by Lord Douglias »

B) ...Everything works. It even works with my joystick. I forgot about the editing the dosbox config file, untill you reminded me. Thanks.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Solidarity_296, deleted your new topic about the same. Pasted post here where it belongs.
Solidarity_296 wrote:Okay, I know that most of you have a problem in inner worlds where it initializes sound - the problem being that it does it forever! I know because I too have had to put up with it’s anoying reign of terror – until now! You don't need to go out and buy a 98 comp just so you can run this game, nor do you need dosbox 0.65! Hopefully, this method works for you a lot better.
For starters, I did it using the latest version of dosbox - 0.72. I don’t know whether this same method works with 0.70, but since it always crashed for me, we can safely assume NO.

After installing it, open the Dosbox.conf file with something like wordpad. Your problems reside in the soundblaster settings, so find them in the list. When you do, they should be set to this for default.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

you can leave it this way, or change each one as it suits you. Just make sure you remember what they’re set to!
The final step. Go into inner worlds setup. Go to configure sound. Set each step to exactly the same as whatever is set in dosbox.conf! For example, if you keep the above the way it is, you should set the sound up like this.

type - soundblaster 16
I/O - 0x220
IRQ - 7
DMA - channel 1
16bit DMA – 5
sound quality – 16 bit
mix rate - 22000

Save and Exit setup. The game will work! It won’t even have time to go to initializing sound, it will just start! No freezes, no f**kups!
This is the only method I have got the game working under, and I’ve tried everything! I understand it may not be perfect, but it should help some of you. Hopefully, you can now enjoy inner worlds without any problems!

Ps: I hope I'm not making an ass out of myself because somebody already found this out.
We already know it crash in 0.70.
Works in 0.65 and 0.72.
No need to fiddle around in dosboxconfig.
THX for the informative post, but next time please use the search function before posting.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Post by Guest »

dosraider wrote:........
Actually, I have the same trouble as Solidarity.
I'm running IW with dosbox 0.65 and I get the endless initializing sound problem.

This post is extremely helpful.