Extreme Pinball

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
chad5871

Extreme Pinball

Post by chad5871 »

Hey everyone! I'm trying to run Extreme Pinball on XP. I tried making the memory settings as high as possible which didn't help. I can run it in XP, but for some reason it runs at like 15% speed. I downloaded DOSBox and that works well, but whenever I try to push an arrow key (in the menu or in the game), there are all these black lines that go up and down the screen and the game quits. Any ideas on how to get this game to work? I want it to work! :shifty:
Elign

Post by Elign »

Extreme Pinball is a 32-bit game, and therefore Windows XP and DOSBox will have a much tougher time with it. The chances of getting it to work right in XP/DOSBox are about 1 out of 500.

Your only hope may be to run the game in Windows 95/98/ME, from pure DOS, or from an environment like Virtual PC that can emulate old Windows and DOSes.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for answering my questions. Unfortunately I don't have my old machine (it was Windows 98). Is it true that Virtual PC can only work on XP Pro? I have XP Home edition and I can't get Virtual PC 2004 to work...
Elign

Post by Elign »

Naw, what that means is if VPC 2004 screws up on XP Home, Microsoft can then point at you and say "Ha Ha I told ya so!". It is possible for it to work on XP Home though.

Nonetheless VPC is a fair bit difficult to set up. You need your own OS (like FreeDOS, http://www.freedos.org ) since setting up VPC is almost identical to setting up a brand new computer with nothing on the hard drive.