Jazz Jackrabbit 1 - Refusing to start in Win98 on a Celeron

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Poida

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 - Refusing to start in Win98 on a Celeron

Post by Poida »

I have the CD version of Jazz Jackrabbit (The first one) that used to run fine on my old PentiumI 200MMX, since upgrading it will not work for me. I have tried:
Clean DOS boot
All tyhe available settings (within the setup menu) that there ate

I don't even get an reeor message. The screen blanks, then windows comes back

Any ideas?
Poida

Silly me

Post by Poida »

Sorry, I did not read down far enough into the messages before posting my request. I have run TPPatch and now it works fine.

:shifty:
Poida

Me again...

Post by Poida »

The TPPatch worked fine on the copy of Jazz I downloaded from here, but did not work on the FULL version that I installed off the CD.

Any ideas please?
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Re: Me again...

Post by Wally »

Poida wrote:The TPPatch worked fine on the copy of Jazz I downloaded from here, but did not work on the FULL version that I installed off the CD.

Any ideas please?
moslo may be the go

you can download it from www.wally4000.tk
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

Post by Splodginator »

Maybe the CD version is corrupt, try getting another copy from somewhere.

Post by Guest »

Most likely the .exe your trying to patch is read only. Either, it's located on the CD in which case you MUST move it to HDD and then most likely change some game config stuff as well, or it's moved to disk with same write access as on a CD, i.e. read only. at prompt in appropriate directory:
attrib nameoffile.exe -r <enter>
tppatch nameoffile.exe <enter>

Also, in case the executable is on the disc you're likely running it through a bat, com or other exe-file, and possibly you were trying to patch one of these files instead.
Poida

Jazz CD version and the TPPatch

Post by Poida »

Thank you to all who offered assistance.
The error message I was getting was that Jazz.exe was that it was not a Turbo Pascal (TP) or Borland Pascal (BP) file - I have a smattering of German! I looked for any .exe files in the directory, and found one called file0001.exe. I zapped this one with the TPPatch.exe and now all is working fine. :)
abyss
Moloral Compass
Moloral Compass

Post by abyss »

Dosbox is the way to go. search and download dosbox. The following things should be changed in the conf file core=auto to core=dynamic and cycles=auto to cycles=3000 This is if your cd drive is d and hard drives c to instal the game type in dosbox mount d d:/ -t cdrom then mount c c:/ then type setup or install whatever the game uses for installation and then once installed use sound blaster for sounds and when the games installed you mount c c:/ then mount d d:/ -t cdrom and open jazz.

Don't mount your real C as C in doxbox, NOT, NEVER.
Your cycles depends of your hardware.
You could at least TRY to give correct information when you revive a fuc**** old topic.
~dosraider
<i>Formerly known as Hulk Hogan.</i>
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

Post by Dogbreath »

Abyss: Please stop replying to threads that are 3 years old. You can check the date of the thread by looking to the left of the "Quote" button. In this case
posted: Jan 01, 2004
(Which means "January the First, in the year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Four" if you have trouble with numbers)