Help To Run Blair Witch 1 Rustin Parr On XP

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
GK123DIG

Help To Run Blair Witch 1 Rustin Parr On XP

Post by GK123DIG »

Hi all, I have just made an XP pc and a 98 se pc I can run Blair Witch 1 on the 98 pc but I cant on the XP pc. When I try it on the XP pc it says "windows XP is reporting -372.7mb of free swap disk space. Nocturne runs best with at least 200mb free. see readme.txt for more information." I have my virtual memory set to 2046 - 4092 so there is no swap space problems but since this is XP does anyone know where I can get a working XP patch as I remember they were around many years ago. I dont know if this will work but can someone tell me if the MicroSoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 3.0 for XP will work and how to use it? My system specs are:

CPU = Intel Pentium D @ 3.2 GHz
Mobo = intel desktop board
3D Card = Asus PCIe 512mb ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
2 gig DDR2 800 MHz Ram x 1 stick
XP Pro Service Pack 3

Also what version of DirectX does Blair Witch use?
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Re: Help To Run Blair Witch 1 Rustin Parr On XP

Post by MrFlibble »

GK123DIG wrote:I have my virtual memory set to 2046 - 4092 so there is no swap space problems
Try setting the swap file to a smaller size: the game might be too old to expect several GiB of virtual memory. Set it to something like 512 MiB or maybe even less, maybe around 384 MiB.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Nocturne runs best with at least 200mb free.
That sounds more like a warning than an error; if the game won't run, I wonder if this error message is a tangent unrelated to the actual crash.

You might also try the tool DxWnd, which can help translate old DirectX games to work much better on modern DirectX/Windows.

Among other things it tries not to report "too much" freespace, memory, etc., and is a translation layer. I don't know if "swap space" is one of the ones it captures. It works great for many old games.

edit: Also, since the game apparently runs on the same engine as Nocturn, you might try some of the "fixes" to run Nocturn on XP or later, like at this link:
http://thespookhouse.deviantart.com/jou ... -312184684