SWIV 3D - No CD

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.

Post by Guest »

ok ok, this is the situation now:
1 i create the bin/cue with swiv name (swiv.cue swiv.bin)
2 they are in c:\games directory
3 i launch dosbox.. write the commandline imgmount d c:\games\swiv.cue -t cdrom
4 the image is mounted
5 mount c c:\games (previously i didn't do it because you didn't tell me to "don't change instructions" :))
6 d:
7 dosinst
8 in the installation the directory of installation is c:\swiv
9 c:
10cd swiv
11 swiv_dos
12 swiv, error: no cdrom!

is that ok? sorry for the etc etc.. simply i didn't remember the end of the command line and it was in the previous page so that i had to erase and write it all again ;)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Try this imgmount line:
imgmount d c:\games\swiv.cue -t iso
Mind: iso in stead of cdrom at the end, can make a difference.
Delete again the install folder (Whilst in Win, need a dosbox restart, and reinstall the game.

And I do hope you deleted the old bin/cue .... ? You didn't simply rename it?
The old cue isn't valid anymore.

If this all doesn't work I'm clueless, but will ask around to see if there are some mates of me who have that version and if they can run it in dosbox 0.72.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Post by Guest »

deleted the old folder.. done again all the install procedure changing the mounting line but it doesn't work :/ yes the cue is new... i hope your mates could help us... thx anyway
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:the cd label is SWIV 3D... maybe it is not the same version of the game... my cd was included when i bought that old packard bell pc... don't know if this thing is important or not...
Apparently it must indeed be another version of the game, probably the one that HotU has a CD rip hosted.
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=3122
Seems to be an 'updated' version or so ....
HotU wrote: Note: The download here is actually SWIV 3D Assault, the 1997 update of the same game that was published in the USA by Interplay. This version offers 3Dfx graphics and native Windows 95 support, making it the best version to own :)
But ... as all HotU downloads are down, can't even testrun it.
More: haven't found your version around here, so I'm afraid I can't help you further.
If you're up to it you could try your version in VPC2004/MSDos6.22, but that's a lot more work to set up then dosbox and no guarantee yours will run in VPC....
I can already say that my dosversion works in it, but not the Windows version.
Up to you to go through the trouble to setup/testrun in VPC or not, if one single game is even worth the hassle .... don't know, I doubt it.

I guess you would be easier to go for the Amiga version on lemonamiga.com and play it in an Amiga emulator.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Post by Guest »

k.. so i'm gonna see if i can get that version of swiv in some way... i'm not so skilled with dos emulation and so on.. so i'll try to get hotu version.. if that version won't work i'll surrender... :D thx anyway..

Post by Guest »

hi again i'm the guest who wrote above.. I have got SWIV 3D Assault... but it's only a windows version so dos and dosbox aren't working.. and under xp (even with emulation) it says there's an error in kernel32.dll thunkconnect.... so this is the way it ends so much work for nothing heheheh ;) thx anyway..
John Peterson

Re: SWIV 3D - No CD

Post by John Peterson »

Paramore09 wrote: SWIV, Error: No CD-ROM!
I had the same problem. Both in Dosbox and in Windows 98 with the Windows version (running in Virtual PC 2007). I guess it could be a copy protection. I found another exe that did not have the problem. All I had to do was replace the exe. All the movies seemed to still work. I never heard any music though, perhaps it's disabled somehow.

To be able to get past the first level I also had to type in my player name as SWIV!AndLetDie to enable the cheats.
Last edited by John Peterson on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

You simply replaced the SWIV exe by a no-CD cracked one.
As long it works .... :)
Metalmadcat

Swiv..

Post by Metalmadcat »

Oh no, how can it be so hard to run this game? I have it too and have the same freaking issue..

What I use: Dos Box
Issue: No Cdrom message.

I do the same procedure as the one who did the first post. I did not try the imgmount binary ...that thing raider mentioned. I just didn't do that yet, though I doubt would help...
..im tired, man.
It's hard to bring the past.
Ealhaya

SWIV 3D "error : NO CD-ROM"

Post by Ealhaya »

Hi,

I've been trying to play SWIV 3D.
I installed DOSBOX, added in the autoexec part of the DosBox configuration file the following lines:
- mount c c:\dosprog
- mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl
(which work fine)

then I installed SWIV in C:\SWIV (so C:\DOSPROG\SWIV),
then launched SWIV_DOS from the SWIV file, the intro launched then came back to DOS :
"SWIV, errror : NO CD-ROM!"

I don't have the real CD as it's at my brother's place, so he sent me an ISO which I mounted with Daemon tools lite. the D: I mounted is the virtual drive, but I supposed DosBox wouldn't see the difference)

would mounting a cue or bin do the trick ??

what should I do ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback !!!
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Ealhaya wrote: I don't have the real CD as it's at my brother's place, so he sent me an ISO which I mounted with Daemon tools lite. the D: I mounted is the virtual drive, but I supposed DosBox wouldn't see the difference)

would mounting a cue or bin do the trick ??
-> Try to mount the ISO directly in dosbox 0.73(don't use daemon tools) with imgmount.
imgmount d "x:\path\name.iso" -t iso

-> Won't hurt to try with a BIN/CUE, use a good soft to create it, as is:
http://www.imgburn.com/
Mount it also directly in dosbox with imgmount
imgmount d "x:\path\name.cue" -t iso

-> Ask your brother to make a good copy of the CD.
Ealhaya

no cd

Post by Ealhaya »

Hi again.

thank you for the so quick answer !!!!
I just tried the imgmount but to no effect, I still get the no cd-rom error.
(i replace my D: autoexec line, so I don't think re-installing is the solution ?)

is it possible that it won't work because of a cd protection ?
Ealhaya

testing

Post by Ealhaya »

I'm currently writing a bin.
will come back to you.

I think I'll also try Virtual PC as it's free...
Ealhaya

cue/bin

Post by Ealhaya »

hey again

I burned a bin/cue and tried mounting the cue, but it just doesn't work.
I always get an error :

Could not load image file: C:\DOSPROG\ISO\SWIV-3D.cue"
MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid

but I still can load easily the iso, and could load the bin.
but when launching I still get a NO CD error.

too bad.

I was so happy to play it again !
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Re: cue/bin

Post by dosraider »

Ealhaya wrote:Could not load image file: C:\DOSPROG\ISO\SWIV-3D.cue"
MSCDEX: Failure: Path not valid
Not a valid Dos name.
Delete and try again, but this time name your image
swiv3d.cue / swiv3d.bin

Remark: delete it, don't simply rename it, won't work (... it's possible, but a bit more complicated ....)

[Edit]
For good understanding:
I mean that you create the bin/cue from the original CD.
Not using the probably faulty ISO / a CD burned from that ISO,...... I doubt that would work.
Ealhaya

cd

Post by Ealhaya »

I tried from the ISO you're right it didn't work.
thanks for all your help, I'll be back when I'll have that new copy ! (probably in a few weeks, I'll have to go to his place)

bye
peregrine581

Using DOSBox for Swiv

Post by peregrine581 »

So... I get the error message when I follow everything that says "this is a Windows NT windowed executable." What did I do wrong, and what does that mean?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

It means it's a a Windows NT windowed executable....?

Maybe tell what you're talking about....?
manuSpun

Post by manuSpun »

To fix "NO CD" error:
Open SWIV_DOS.EXE in a hex editor.
Go to raw byte offset 0x2CE7F and change it to 0x84
Now you can run the game without the original CD but unfortunately no music.
Ashma

GOT SWIV WORKING ON WINDOWS 7 PRO 64-BIT

Post by Ashma »

Hello!

Just wanted to share with everyone, how I got SWIV to play on my Sony Vaio A790 Notebook upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

1. From your SWIV CD, right click on the SWIV Setup file and change compatibility for the install, to WIN95 and then install.

2. Download this patched exe file: http://www.filefront.com/thankyou.php?f ... ac160d7133
and replace the exe file in your installed SWIV folder.

3. Create a desktop shortcut to SWIV.exe (the patched one you just copied over) and then right click on it and change compatibility to WIN95.

4. Launch the game and it should work and the music should be there, just like we all remember. Only down side is that at least for me, there was some white flashes and the navigation icon in the top left, showing you where to go is mostly white and so I can't tell where I'm supposed to go.

Enjoy the memories!!!!

Ashton