SWIV 3D - No CD

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Paramore09

SWIV 3D - No CD

Post by Paramore09 »

Hey guys,
I am currently trying to get SWIV 3D running on Windows XP Pro.
So far I managed DosBox to try to start the game. But it
ends up with telling me that there is no CD.

I do not know if I did something wrong, which can be possible.

That is what I typed into DosBox so far:
Z:\>MOUNT C C:\GAMES
Z:\>C:\
C:\>CD SWIVV
C:\SWIVV>swiv_dos.exe

That is what happens after confirming:
It seems like the game starts and...
SWIV, Error: No CD-ROM!

So I checked other forums (actually it was this!) and found this:
Z:\>MOUNT E E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

As I don't have a clue what it should mean I tried to combine
the commands listed above.

Running from C:\GAMES\SWIVV gave out the NO CD error.
Running from E:\ (or E:\GameData {where the dos installtion is at}) didn't work.

I'm thankful for every help and/or correction.

greetings[/b]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Read and apply:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5443
First post is about correctly installing/using dosbox.
Last post how to use Cds in dosbox.

-> mount your CDdrive as D
-> mount a virtual C
-> lnstall the game from D: on C: IN dosbox

Done.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Paramore09

Post by Paramore09 »

Thanks for the answere but it didn't work.
Still the same error.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Do you have the CD?

If yes, give ALL your mount lines and ALL your inputs.
If you don't have the CD and downloaded the game somewhere ask where you downloaded it. Can be you must run a crack or so to get it running.

BTW:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10119
And install the game IN DOSBOX.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Paramore09

Post by Paramore09 »

I modified DOSBox as described in the link above.

So it starts in folder is C:\GAMES

Then as follows:
C:\>mount D E:\ -t cdrom (-ioctl at second try)
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom E:\

Then (if installed):
C:\>CD SWIV
C:\SWIV>swiv_dos.exe

Or (if not installed):
C:\>D:\ (as I mounted the CDRom drive E to D)
D:\>dosinst.exe (and i can install swiv at any folder. It usually is C:\SWIV {so it becomes C:\Games\SWIV}]

After the installation is complete I go back to the C:\Games\Swiv folder
and execute swiv_dos.exe.

You mentioned a virtual C drive but I couldn't figure out what it means
as C is already mounted?

And the link you just posted was the one that brought me to this forum. ;)
Didn't help. That's why I guess I do something wrong.

I also tried to mount as an ISO but ended up not knowing what to do... ^^
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Your virtual C; is the folder you mount as C;: in dosbox, in windows it is c:\games, but for dosbox that counts as C:

Start again from scratcch, so: Delete your c:\games\swiv folder whilst in Windows, NOT your c:\games folder, only the \swiv\ folder.

Run dosbox, if you have a C: prompt it means your virtual C: is mounted correctly.
input:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom
d:
dosinst

Your install path IN DOSBOX is:
c:\swiv

To play the game:
Run dosbox, mount your CD again, input
cd swiv
swiv_dos

If you have a valid CD the game will run.

Post by Guest »

well... i have the same problem as the guy above.. don't know if he managed to get the game working.. but i've followed the instructions and it keeps saying i don't have the cd....

mount c c:\games
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
d: dos_inst
the installaion ends...
c:\games\swiv\swiv_dos

but the game doesn't work.. did i do some mistake?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:but the game doesn't work.. did i do some mistake?
What's the error message? Do you want us to guess it?

Post by Guest »

hehehehe sorry for that... the error is NO CD error.... it loads the first screen with the title..and then crashes saying there is no cd...although the original cd is inserted....
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

OS?
What do you input to run the game? (DETAILED)
Dosbox version?

If that's your install path IN DOSBOX you're making the same mistake as the previous poster:
Anonymous wrote:...
the installaion ends...
c:\games\swiv\swiv_dos
And you'll get the same solution:
dosraider wrote:Your virtual C; is the folder you mount as C;: in dosbox, in windows it is c:\games, but for dosbox that counts as C:

Start again from scratcch, so: Delete your c:\games\swiv folder whilst in Windows, NOT your c:\games folder, only the \swiv\ folder.

Run dosbox, if you have a C: prompt it means your virtual C: is mounted correctly.
input:

mount d e:\ -t cdrom
d:
dosinst

Your install path IN DOSBOX is:
c:\swiv

To play the game:
Run dosbox, mount your CD again, input
cd swiv
swiv_dos

If you have a valid CD the game will run.

Post by Guest »

OS windows xp sp2
dosbox 0.72
I don't know what you mean by saying "What do you input to run the game? (DETAILED) " ...
i start dosbox, mount c:\games\ as c: then cd swiv swiv_dos...

if i follow exactly your instructions
"mount d e:\ -t cdrom
d:
dosinst"

it doesn't do even the installation... because my cdrom driver is d: .. so i suppose i have to write mount d d:\ -t cdrom, right? [/quote]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:it doesn't do even the installation... because my cdrom driver is d: .. so i suppose i have to write mount d d:\ -t cdrom, right?
Right.

What you eventually could try if you still get the NOCD error is create a BIN/CUE from your CD (you do have the original, do you?) and imgmount that.
Save the BIN/CUE as c:\games\swiv.bin and c:\games\swiv.cue, use:

imgmount d c:\games\swiv.cue -t iso
This will replace your CD mount line.
Redo the install (first delete your old folder).

You can create the BIN/CUE with imgburn, freeware and swell working prog.
http://www.imgburn.com/
Use the build option and select BIN/CUE.

edited typos
Last edited by dosraider on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

ok i've created the bin and cue.. but when i type imgmount d c:\games\swiv.cue -t cdrom it says "the image must be on a host or local drive"... when i type the imgmount command do i have to be in c:\? or on the standard z: unit? (when i start dosbox it is the standard drive)

Post by Guest »

ok i've managed to mount the image and the isntallation.. but it always says no cd... mmm.. any other idea?.. i wonder if the other guy with the same problem has got rid of it...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Can only say it works for me. What I don't know is if there are different versions around or not. Seems so.

BTW, what is the CD label? You should be able to see the label in windows explorer.

Post by Guest »

the cd label is SWIV 3D... maybe it is not the same version of the game... my cd was included when i bought that old packard bell pc... don't know if this thing is important or not...

Post by Guest »

ps!.. before the command line imgmount etc etc.. i have to set the c: unit or it says the "local host or unit" thing... also i have to change slightly the command line you've given to me because the file name in dos is swiv3d(tilde)2.cue... but i think that's not the cause of the cdrom error..
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote:ps!.. before the command line imgmount etc etc.. i have to set the c: unit or it says the "local host or unit" thing...
Not good, imgmount command works perfect from Z:\, you screwed up somewhere, but I don't really know where .... you don't give enough and exact info.
Anonymous wrote:.. also i have to change slightly the command line you've given to me because the file name in dos is swiv3d(tilde)2.cue... but i think that's not the cause of the cdrom error..
You have or spaces or your name is too long.
Delete the BIN/CUE and re-create it, be sure to name it
swiv.cue/swiv.bin
Do NOT simply rename it, it would give more errors as the filenames are stored in the .cue file.

You can read, do you? So stop altering the instructions or it will never work.
Anonymous wrote:the cd label is SWIV 3D... maybe it is not the same version of the game... my cd was included when i bought that old packard bell pc... don't know if this thing is important or not...
Hmmmm, the label seems OK, tell me, do you have a windows version on that CD? Look for a winsetup, if yes, rightclick on it and set compability to W95 or W98 in properties tab. Maybe it will work directly under XP.
It will depend of your hardware (mainly your monitor) if it can or not ....

Post by Guest »

the compatibility thing was the first thing i've ever tried.... anyway... now i wrote what i do:
1 i create the bin/cue with swiv name (swiv.cue swiv.bin)
2 they are in c:\games directory
3 i launch dosbox.. write the commandline imgmount d c:\games\swiv etc etc
4 the image is mounted
5 d:
6 dosinst
7 in the installation i can't install because it says "the directory name you entered couldn't be created" (the directory name is the default: c:\games\swiv\ but even changing it says the same thing.. now what to do?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Anonymous wrote: 3 i launch dosbox.. write the commandline imgmount d c:\games\swiv etc etc
Not good enough, 'etc etc' says nothing.
If you expect me to give you detailed instructions when YOU are even too lazy to type your exact mount lines: FORGET IT. Doesn't work that way friend.
Anonymous wrote:7 in the installation i can't install because it says "the directory name you entered couldn't be created" (the directory name is the default: c:\games\swiv\ but even changing it says the same thing.. now what to do?
Is your C: mounted correctly? Apparently not. Did you delete the old install folder? That or you don't have write rights.
Try this: when you're on the C: prompt input:
md test
cd test

Your prompt should change to c:\test\